Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New style STI mags

Will Abrahams

I recently ordered some STI mag bodies from Brownells and was expecting to receive the traditional STI mags that I have bought over the last 10 years.  I was pleasantly surprised when I saw this new design.  I did a search on google and this forum, but could not find any info on a design change.   Just thought I would share. 

20161110_164141.jpg

20161110_164148.jpg

20161110_212904.jpg

Edited by Will Abrahams

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ben Stoeger posted this on instagram a while back and I asked about them but did not get a response. Did not see any comments online on any forum so it made me think it was a joke post.  I'm wondering if I need to call shooters connection and find out of the mag bodies when I order are the new style or not. 

Wonder if the 9mm will need a spacer still???

I don't understand how STI has not done any promo work about the new bodies!?  as a marketer, this actually boggles my mind and could swing people away from buying MBX with the new design and bullet count holes drilled. 

Edited by ScottieShootz

16 minutes ago, twodownzero said:

9mm is always going to need a spacer.  The 1911 action is based on the .45 ACP cartridge, which is 1/8" or so longer than a SAAMI length 9mm or .40 cartridge.  The choices are to either load long or use a spacer or some combination of both.

Except MBX does not need a spacer, which is their big selling point to me.  So if STI has redesigned their body, did they do the same or did the side rail just change? That is where I was going with that. 

I shoot 38 anyway, but if I wanted to change to 9, using MBX mags I don't need to do anything differently.

Will Abrahams ,  would love to hear your review on these what Springs followers you use how many rounds they hold fit and finish give us an update soon as you can thanks 

I spoke with someone at STI who said right now they are just doing the 40 SW mags, but they are working on 38/9.  

I will see how many rounds fit with grams guts and Dawson basepads.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to get to the range for a few days to try them out.

On 11/11/2016 at 10:58 AM, twodownzero said:

9mm is always going to need a spacer.  The 1911 action is based on the .45 ACP cartridge, which is 1/8" or so longer than a SAAMI length 9mm or .40 cartridge.  The choices are to either load long or use a spacer or some combination of both.

I run some of my 10rd 9mm sti mags without spacers. no issues. my high capacity mags I run the 38 super followers. spacer doesn't fit with 38 follower

On 11/11/2016 at 10:58 AM, twodownzero said:

The spacers are only needed to get the case mouth of the 9mm  beyond the first rib of the now old style STI mags. Even when I load out to +1.18 9mm is still wonky without spacers. 

On 11/12/2016 at 6:48 PM, Sarge said:

The spacers are only needed to get the case mouth of the 9mm  beyond the first rib of the now old style STI mags. Even when I load out to +1.18 9mm is still wonky without spacers. 

This was my experience as well. They worked most of the time but weren't 100% reliable. The MBX mags I bought to replace them have been so far

I was able to fit 20 rounds with a Dawson basepad and grams guts.  Easily reloadable too.  It had about 1mm of room in the mag length gauge.  I might be able to get 21 with a Dawson SNL basepad, but I imagine it would be very difficult to seat.  I will be ordering some SNLs soon and will let you know.

Edited by Will Abrahams

• 2 months later...
On 11/15/2016 at 6:40 PM, Will Abrahams said:

I was able to fit 20 rounds with a Dawson basepad and grams guts.  Easily reloadable too.  It had about 1mm of room in the mag length gauge.  I might be able to get 21 with a Dawson SNL basepad, but I imagine it would be very difficult to seat.  I will be ordering some SNLs soon and will let you know.

How have the new mags been running? I was planning on building a new set for my limited gun this year. Have you tried them with Taran springs/followers? I find they give a little more room than the Grams guts.

On 11/11/2016 at 11:15 AM, ScottieShootz said:

Except MBX does not need a spacer, which is their big selling point to me.  So if STI has redesigned their body, did they do the same or did the side rail just change? That is where I was going with that. 

I shoot 38 anyway, but if I wanted to change to 9, using MBX mags I don't need to do anything differently.

I had feeding issues with the 9mm MBX magazines loaded to standard SAMMI length.  The rounds just kept jamming occasionally in the magazine.  Switched to loading out to 1.200 and the issue disappeared.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have two of the new style mags in 9mm, one of them ran fine out of the box and the other needed the spring bent to prevent nose dives. I've only put 250 rds through each of them and I haven't had any problems since bending the spring in #2.  I will say the mag that was giving me nose dives has a lighter spring than the trouble free mag, and the feed lips are tighter at the front than the other one, .350 compared to .353.  I'm using them in a very tight new CK thunder, and I'm going to order the Dawson mag tuning kit to get them perfect.

14 minutes ago, eagle1 said:

I have two of the new style mags in 9mm, one of them ran fine out of the box and the other needed the spring bent to prevent nose dives. I've only put 250 rds through each of them and I haven't had any problems since bending the spring in #2.  I will say the mag that was giving me nose dives has a lighter spring than the trouble free mag, and the feed lips are tighter at the front than the other one, .350 compared to .353.  I'm using them in a very tight new CK thunder, and I'm going to order the Dawson mag tuning kit to get them perfect.

You probably don't need the mag tuning kit. What you really need is grams spring kits.