Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DIY Dillon 1050 Powder Camera (Video)

• 1 month later...
On 12/26/2016 at 8:08 AM, JatCarver said:

Do you have a link to the camera?

Just got to a computer.  Here are the links to what I used:

DIY powder camera for a Dillon Super 1050 using a car backup camera.

Camera and Monitor:  http://amzn.to/2fUWgRD
DC power splitter:  http://amzn.to/2eNNBxM

This may be a better camera, as it has a way to turn off the grid lines:   http://amzn.to/2i3tc6v

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Since the OP's original camera/monitor kit is unavailable - here is the likely replacement.  Looks like same monitor but with different/upgraded camera. It's a larger camera module which might not be ideal for our purposes...

https://www.amazon.com/Camecho-Vehicle-Waterproof-Aviation-Extension/dp/B073Q4JJ3Z/ref=sr_1_16?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1516054247&sr=1-16&keywords=backup+camera+and+monitor

15 hours ago, 78Staff said:

Since the OP's original camera/monitor kit is unavailable - here is the likely replacement.  Looks like same monitor but with different/upgraded camera. It's a larger camera module which might not be ideal for our purposes...

https://www.amazon.com/Camecho-Vehicle-Waterproof-Aviation-Extension/dp/B073Q4JJ3Z/ref=sr_1_16?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1516054247&sr=1-16&keywords=backup+camera+and+monitor

Oops, I didn't realize the camera/monitor were unavailable.  I left that link so people can see exactly what I used, but I added a link to the camera you posted, because I think that's an even better (though more expensive) option.  Thanks for letting me know.

I ended up making my own with these following components:

• Padarsey 7 Inches TFT Color LCD Monitor
  • Esky EC170-11  Vehicle Car Rear View Backup Camera (No guidelines)
  • EWETON Security Camera Power Adapter 12V 4-way Splitter

dillon1050.jpg

11 hours ago, KzBoost said:

I ended up making my own with these following components:

• Padarsey 7 Inches TFT Color LCD Monitor
  • Esky EC170-11  Vehicle Car Rear View Backup Camera (No guidelines)
  • EWETON Security Camera Power Adapter 12V 4-way Splitter

dillon1050.jpg

Can you detail the power / splitter setup?  Does it eliminate splicing wires, or is that still required?

I'm trying do decide if I want to change out my setup - many will recall I've posted about using a Whistler boresight camera setup, which works well but the larger monitor setups I've been seeing are eye catching :).  However, at closer look it seems that the larger monitors are just showing more of the shellplate, while the cam setup view I have now is showing a larger view of the brass and powder itself...  so it may not be worth swapping over.  Just trying to cleanup the left side, seems like a lot is going on there lol.  The Whister is wireless, I may remove and relocate the grip section, and just use wireless so only the monitor is mounted on the casefeeder upright.

Q1blZOXh.jpg

Edited by 78Staff

On 1/18/2018 at 8:33 AM, 78Staff said:

Can you detail the power / splitter setup?  Does it eliminate splicing wires, or is that still required?

The power splitter has 4 of the 5.5mm barrel plugs. It depends on the monitor or camera that you opt to buy. In my case, the camera was plug and play, while the monitor required me to splice the wires. I opted to solder a female plug onto my monitor leads so that I could quick disconnect if I ever needed to. It's not hard to splice or solder up some leads, but some experience and tools are required. Im an electrician by trade so it was nothing more than a normal day at work.

Here's my "less busy" setup - mounted the trigger grip part behind the press, and used the built in wireless for the camera signal.  Mounted the display body higher so it's less obtrusive.  Still need to route the wiring/cabling and cleaned up, etc but so far looks like it should be an improvement...

Edit - cleaned up the wiring/cabling a bit...

iEi64Ksh.jpg?1

Edited by 78Staff

• 1 year later...

Older thread, I posted this in another thread accidentally, so posting here...  I moved the monitor back down, I had put it higher at eye level thinking that would work better, but reality is I'm always looking down at toolhead/shellplate anyway so looking up every stroke was annoying lol.  Also moved the clamped LED light off the upright, since I have the Starlight LED setup which is more than enough light.

Honestly, I may just remove the cam/monitor altogether - reality is I am looking at shellplate every stroke anyway, and with the Dillon KaKlunk safety rod it's damn near impossible to get a double or empty...

l7mUaxNl.jpg