Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Silicon carbide on factory grips

21 hours ago, ryridesmotox said:

Partially the typo... But also partially the fact that, silicon carbide made his hand bleed. It's rough, but it's not that rough is it?

Not trolling.  I dry fire 1 hour every day.  After about 30 days the thumb knuckle skin was bloody. I was hoping callus would form like other places but no.  It would heal then got open - it's the rotation of your hand to reach the mag release that basically grind your thumb knuckle skin for each reload.  If you do 200 reloads everyday, it will never heal and form callus.  Just my experience. 

To add, I got tiny hand with a strong hand thumb 1.6 inches long.  So rotation is a must for me to do any reloads.  If you get bigger hands longer thumb, no need to worry. 

Edited by JusticeOfToren

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

36 minutes ago, ShortBus said:

Dear good sir with the short stubby thumbs. Try using your strong hand middle finger. I got tired of having to fling my tanfo around to hit the button with my thumb and have started doing this. 

Maybe that won't feel right on his penal grip rofl

1 hour ago, Sarge said:

Is that a production gun? Would modifying for thumb groove be legal?

Yes it's a production gun.

The rulebook uses the word profile, which DNROI ruled to be "the same shape as viewed from the side."

That means that you can add palm-swell grips or a thumb groove or fat grips or thin grips... but you cannot install something like one of those Hogue grips that adds a wraparound piece of rubber on the front strap with large finger grooves.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

42 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

What do you like more about the Henning contour?

They just fit my hand better. They felt to flat with skate tape. Using the epoxy SiC method allowed me to add a bit of material where I thought I needed it and it worked out perfectly. 

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
8 hours ago, insicnarf said:

Thanks for this post @MemphisMechanic. Bought cheap $25 tanfo grips and will try it this weekend. 

If you like the width of the factory grips, here's my suggestion: sand the entire grip down uniformly about 1/16" - 1/8" thinner that it is. You'll add that much width with the combination of epoxy and grit.

When mine were finished I loved the texture, but the gun just got too fat to fit me correctly. I need to find someone with size XL hands (mine are L) to sell my SiC grips to.

(Yes, I like the PD palmswell grips that are even wider, but they only fatten inside of your palms!)

6 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

If you like the width of the factory grips, here's my suggestion: sand the entire grip down uniformly about 1/16" - 1/8" thinner that it is. You'll add that much width with the combination of epoxy and grit.

When mine were finished I loved the texture, but the gun just got too fat to fit me correctly. I need to find someone with size XL hands (mine are L) to sell my SiC grips to.

(Yes, I like the PD palmswell grips that are even wider, but they only fatten inside of your palms!)

Actually i dont have my stock grips so i bought $25 plastic grips on ebay. I wanted to buy the PD grips but I think i really need the thumb groove. Should the thumbgroves be free of SC? i imagine it would be painful when doing too many reloads

I did the thumb groove and it didn't bother me texture-wise. I just made the rest of the grip so fat that my thumb still couldn't reach without flipping the gun in my hand.

Sand the grips down a good bit thinner, they'll get fatter than you expect.

where are you ordering silicon carbide online?

Know anyone local to you who is a rockhound? Silicon carbide is used by them to tumble rocks to make them shiny or into a manageable size. Otherwise, you can purchase a 4lb canister on Amazon for about $12. 4lbs goes a very long way for what you are looking for.