Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

American Pistol Chamber

TacticalReload

Anyone heard anything about the Ruger American 9mm having a shorter chamber?  I took mine to the range after picking it up with some of my reloads (115 grain RN loaded to 1.155").  I should have plunk-tested them because they wouldn't chamber... wasted trip.  I know they are little long, but they work fine in a couple of other 9mm pistols (P226, Glock 19, Glock 17).  They weren't even all that close to dropping into the chamber before contacting the rifling.  (At least I assume they were contacting the rifling.)  Federal HST 124 gr fits fine, but that's the only factory ammo I have around to test.

• 4 weeks later...

Plunk... and spin.

If the round won't spin freely in the chamber, the bullet is usually being gripped by the rifling and you know it was loaded too long for that gun.

Plunk. Spin. Tap the case on the back to seat it in the chamber fully and to feel the primer to make sure it's below flush. Flip the barrel over and see if it still falls out effortlessly on it's own, or sticks.

That's your full function test when chamber checking. 

Edited by MemphisMechanic

On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 7:51 PM, TacticalReload said:

(115 grain RN loaded to 1.155").

That's pretty long for 9mm minor - I load my 9mm Major to 1.165",

and usually my minor loads to 1.125 - 1.135".    :)

P.S.  A "stock of 300 rounds" is almost no ammo at all ...   :rolleyes:

11 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

P.S.  A "stock of 300 rounds" is almost no ammo at all ...   :rolleyes:

It is when the only gun I currently have running that will shoot it is my P226, which doesn't really serve a purpose other than general plinking... especially since I only have three 15 round mags for that pistol.  In my defense, the "stock of rounds" was at 600 about a week ago.  

I'd love to just push the bullets in a little further, but there is just enough of a crimp to strip off the coating and shave a little lead.

1 hour ago, TacticalReload said:

In my defense, the "stock of rounds" was at 600 about a week ago.  

I'd love to just push the bullets in a little further, but there is just enough of a crimp to strip off the coating and shave a little lead.

600 rounds is still very little.:devil:

Also, if seating them deeper strips off the coating on plated bullets, you may have too much crimp on them.