Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SIG MPX

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My MPX that I used last year for USPSA and Steel Challenge.  I also have a couple of magazines with the Springer Precision 10 round extensions.  Over the winter I changed the thin stock for the stock shown, changed to the Lancer carbon fiber hand guard with Magpul hand stop, changed from a Geissele S3G to the Hiperfire Eclipse and added the Lantac comp.

MPX - 1.jpg

• 2 months later...

I started playing in PCC earlier this year, due to physical issues that were giving me problems shooting a pistol. A local shop carries TNW which was under $700 out the door, but what sold me on it was that all you have to do to remove the bbl is to screw out the handgaurd, and slide the bbl out, then, you can push out the pins, like an AR, drop the lower, pull the bolt handle out, and remove the bolt, out the front, like a shotgun. I had NJK Custom thread the bbl, install a comp, drill and tap the mag release & safety, and install recoil reducers in the stock. It took close to 500 rounds to get everything figured out, and has run 100% for the last 5-600 rounds.

I have always been a believer in having at least 2 guns for any division, so I bought an MPX carbine, dropped in a Hyperfire 243G trigger, put a Fastfire 3 on it, took it apart and lubed it up, and even though I only put 1-200 rounds through it, the only load I had on hand that it wouldn't run was Zero 147 jhp with 3.1 grains of VV310 behind them. I was out last night with my chrono, and was surprised to find that loads that were 135 pf out of my TNW were sub-minor out of the MPX. The load was PD 115 fmj with 3.9 grains of VV320 with OAL of 1.14" and they were only averaging 1,050fps.Yes, it does shoot softer than my TNW, even though it has mercury recoil reducers in it.

I'll find out tomorrow if it will run at a match. I've found that it seems if anything will fail, it will be at a match.

Things I've found that I don't like: The stock sucks. My nose is almost touching the charging handle, and is too high, that it's not where I want it to be, on my shoulder. I think I'm going to order the Thorden stock adapter, and maybe start with trying the Magpul stock that is on my Firebird shotgun.

The other thing I don't like is the safety. It's shorter than anything I'm used to on my ARs, and don't like the right side safety hitting my hand when I'm disengaging.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello: If you were building a MPX for PCC how would you build it? I have been asked this a lot and I don't have one so how would you start? I told them to look at the pistol with a 8" barrel and have an extension welded onto it to make it a carbine. Buy a stock adapter for a AR type stock and install the stock you like. Change out the trigger and install a C-More railway. What do you think? Thanks, Eric

If you are hard pressed for a 13.5-1LH mid comp with an aluminum extension for your MPX.......send me an IM. The official production one is not ready, but I can add an aluminum shroud to the long comp to get you running. I just get one for an 8" barrel and will be doing one for the 4.5" soon.

BTW.......I am cutting down the barrel on my MPX to 5.25" same length as the TACCOM ULW internal barrel and doing a shroud for that. The 8" one I am doing will tell me is I really need the comp on that gun, which I am actually leaning towards NOT having. I just don;t think a comp is going to be needed on a really short barrel as the impulse is so much faster and lighter.

1 hour ago, TRUBL said:

If you are hard pressed for a 13.5-1LH mid comp with an aluminum extension for your MPX.......send me an IM. The official production one is not ready, but I can add an aluminum shroud to the long comp to get you running. I just get one for an 8" barrel and will be doing one for the 4.5" soon.

1 hour ago, TRUBL said:

BTW.......I am cutting down the barrel on my MPX to 5.25" same length as the TACCOM ULW internal barrel and doing a shroud for that. The 8" one I am doing will tell me is I really need the comp on that gun, which I am actually leaning towards NOT having. I just don;t think a comp is going to be needed on a really short barrel as the impulse is so much faster and lighter.

IM sent ?

The load I had worked up for my TNW, carbine was 3.9 grains of VV320, behind a 115 grain bullet, that chronoed at about 132 pf was only about 120 pf out of my MPX.

It appears that the MPX only has about a 12" bbl with a permanently attached flash hider to make it 16"

:o

• 2 weeks later...

If you are used to taking apart ARs and cleaning them, with an MPX there is a spring, in front of the firing pin that WILL disappear if you blow out the bolt with compressed air, and you WILL get misfires:(

23 minutes ago, RH45 said:

If you are used to taking apart ARs and cleaning them, with an MPX there is a spring, in front of the firing pin that WILL disappear if you blow out the bolt with compressed air, and you WILL get misfires:(

Hello: The AR9mm firing pins also have a spring. I hope you found it. Thanks, Eric

5998dd86ced37_sigmpx.jpg.54f506701bee6b0fa352f1ff6a43680a.jpg

So my MPX is done except for the new TACCOM HG which should be done soon!!

This build includes.....MFT Carbine BS, Thordsen BS adaptor,  Next level Charge handle, JP trigger, C'more 2MOA sight, In lead we trust 6" barrel with a mid barrel brake and pinned/welded shroud (production units should be ready next week), and the TACCOM magazine funnel will actually be replaced with a Springer Precision Mag well when received.

Shooting 2 Identical MPX's side by side.....determined that a mid barrel brake does make a difference. Right now, the weapon comes in at 5#-14 ounces and recoils like a 22RF rifle

The barrel is a friggen laser!!!

I will be honest......compared to my Colt style AR9, this shoots much softer.....but in reality, I am just as fast on splits with either gun, so while it is hands down the king of recoil, Our ULW barrels and recoil systems are a very close second.

I'm shooting this now......lets see if these thing last as long as my Colt style AR9......which is still ready as a back up.

PS......yes, this started out in life as an 8" MPX pistol!!!

Edited by TRUBL

Springer Precision has released its MPX magwell. It's aluminum, nicely anodized, and only $60. He designed it to be streamlined: adding funnel only where useful as the MPX already has a nice big funnel on the front. That is also supposed to help you reload a bit more naturally since you don't have that massive funnel getting in the way. 

http://shop.springerprecision.com/product.sc?productId=444&categoryId=57

On 8/21/2017 at 6:00 PM, Doublek said:

TRUBL- Why are you replacing the Taccom funnel?

A $1800 MPX deserves a nice looking, strong and functional funnel.......Springer has done that!! Don't get me wrong, the one we have (but will be taking off the market) was an economical and very functional mag funnel........oh sure you could buy a better looking printed funnel for $120 but I'm sorry, even I won't pay $120 for something printed, but it did not function any better. For $60.......Scott did an awesome job!! I went with red, but if you were to say go with black, you really can't even tell that it is a non-factory item. 

On 8/26/2017 at 4:02 PM, TRUBL said:

BTW.......here is the very first TACCOM Carbon Fiber Hand Guard for the MPX......total weight including the nut, 6.5 ounces. This particular MPX is now at 5 pounds 12 ounces.59a1d3d7c448b_mpxdone.thumb.jpg.b9bd6681a930671e3b29aa73845bb865.jpg

Did you have to remove some material from the top side of your butt stock adapter?  If I raise mine up a notch like that, the charging handle hits. 

• 1 month later...

Hello: Those of you with a MPX and don't like the factory charging handle. Take a look at the Raptor one with the handle support. I installed one of these and it makes charging so much easier. It doesn't bind or feel like you are going to bend or break it. Thanks, Eric