Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SIG MPX

OK Guys,

Hanging around after a pistol match a while back and one of my buddies asked if I would like to shoot his Sig MPX 9mm. Didn’t give it a whole lot of thought and said Hell Yes.

My conclusion was a bit mixed at first, as is in, what the hell would anyone need a 9mm rifle for. Then proceeded to buy one at my first opportunity. I never had the thought of using it for PCC comps but thought it would be a  really cool house gun(one can never have too many of those). This little SIG Carbine has really surprised me with the reliability and the accuracy. It really likes 125 Zero jhps and has been totally reliable using everything tried.  Installed an old school JP trigger using the factory hammer without the factory bridge thing and the trigger is great.

How many shooters here are using this great little carbine in competition or otherwise and what are your results with the MPX.

Edited by hgr2
  • Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got a sbr I've used once in pcc but it's really more of a range toy for me. I did take second overall in the match I used it and probably would have won if it wasn't for a bad mag change and the subsequent oh well dump the mag in my last target episode. I typically shoot it with a can on it 

I bought one about 6 months ago, put an aimpoint I had laying around and just shot it in a match for the first time last weekend. It is such a soft shooting rifle and loves the 147GR RN that i reload. This is a great all around rifle but the stock trigger sucks and if you have long arms like me, run the risk of your fingers getting dangerously close to the MB. I had muzzle blast on one of my fingers....Haha

I have one and love it.  I put a Giessle SSA trigger on it, and picked up a used Aimpoint for it.  Got a 10rd base pad from Springer Precision, and a MFT stock from Title II arms.  Very nice shooter.  It has been absolutely 100% reliable.

• 1 month later...

I'm loving my MPX Carbine.  It was a little finicky during the first 200 rounds with my minor production loads (147gr BBI, 3.2gr TG, 1.15 OAL).  I shortened the OAL to 1.125 and bumped the charge to 3.4gr and haven't had a single failure since.  It also runs well with 3.7gr of HP-38 under the same 147gr BBI.  I put some air hose tube over the collapsible stock to make it more comfortable.  I also pulled a Hiperfire 24C out of one of my ARs and installed it in the MPX.  It's superb.  Other than the traditional AR charging handle, I really like the controls on this gun.  I'm using the Taylor Freelance extensions and they work great as well (40 rounds).

or4fuc.jpg

2dqr8ll.jpg

Love mine.  Very soft shooting and accurate.  As someone else said it likes a little shorter OAL.  Also likes to be run wet, especially when new.  Hiperfire trigger, KAK stock adapter with a Minimalist stock and it is the bomb.   Handguard is a widebody but I got used to it.  Currently running an old M68 Aimpoint but doing my usual thing of trying every optic in the world.  Twice.  

I have an MPX with the Hiperfire 24C trigger on it.  I use it for both house protection and in competitions.  I didn't care for the Sig thin folding stock (too long) or the Sig collapsing stock (too wide).  I found more stock options at Lage Manufacturing and they have most everything in stock.  They also make stocks for the CZ Scorpion and other carbines.   http://max-11.com/

Also, I've been doing a little dependability test on mine to see how many rounds I can fire through it without cleaning or maintaining it before it begins to have issues.  After last night's match where 2 of us took turns using it, I'm currently at 1,150 rounds and it is still performing flawlessly.

Edited by -=VILLAMOR=-
10 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

i'm thinking of getting one.

1. do you think the piston system really gets you less bounce/recoil than the straight blow back systems?

2. how is the check weld on the collapsible stock?

1. I shot a few rounds through a fellow competitors AR-9 this past summer (dont remember mfgr), and the difference in recoil was significant.  I have had others tell me the same that have shot mine.

2. I hated the collapsible stock. Besides a less than comfortable cheek weld, the mechanism had enough slack in it that when I shouldered it was not solid and would move quite a bit.  The Minimalist stock and adapter are rock solid.

is there any tuning that can be done to the system to accommodate 125-130pf pistol loads? or does it on its own?

i kind of like the idea of a stock i can make the length i want depending on the situation, but is there a fixed stock that most of the sig guys like?

do the mags drop free no matter open or closed bolt, loaded or empty?

well it looks like one of the adapters to let you run an AR tube and stock seems the best way to deal with the stock stock. that's good as I have all the extra AR parts around to do that, I'd just need like the $45 adapter from Thordesn or whomever.

then i guess it's just about shooting my pistol minor pf ammo through it and if the mags drop free easily.

I think most folks run an adjustable stock due to the extra length the adapter introduces.  One possible fixed option might be the ARFX-E (Ace Skeleton Entry).  It's got a shorter LOP than the traditional ARFX stock.  Shadyscott99 posted a picture of his setup a day or two ago that was pretty sweet.  He's using the adapter with a Magpul UBR Stock.

Mine runs my minor PF loads using W-231 (3.7 gr w/ a 147 gr coated bullet), but would occasionally fail to eject my TG loads (3.2 gr w/ a 147 gr coated bullet).  I bumped them up to 3.4 gr of TG and they run fine now.  

Mags drop free for me no matter the condition (empty, full, bolt open or closed).  I'm using TF extensions, so that adds a bit of weight.  Controls are truly excellent except for the AR style charging handle at the rear.  I really like the bolt and mag release on the right side that can be easily actuated with the trigger finger.

Edited by tyler2you
9 minutes ago, tyler2you said:

I think most folks run an adjustable stock due to the extra length the adapter introduces.  One possible fixed option might be the ARFX-E (Ace Skeleton Entry).  It's got a shorter LOP than the traditional ARFX stock.  Shadyscott99 posted a picture of his setup a day or two ago that was pretty sweet.  He's using the adapter with a Magpul UBR Stock.

Mine runs my minor PF loads using W-231 (3.7 gr w/ a 147 gr coated bullet), but would occasionally fail to eject my TG loads (3.2 gr w/ a 147 gr coated bullet).  I bumped them up to 3.4 gr of TG and they run fine now.  

Mags drop free for me no matter the condition (empty, full, bolt open or closed).  I'm using TF extensions, so that adds a bit of weight.  Controls are truly excellent except for the AR style charging handle at the rear.  I really like the bolt and mag release on the right side that can be easily actuated with the trigger finger.

Yup.  

myMPX.jpg

Rowdy-

1.  Yes.  My buddies run JP GMR13s and the MPX is noticeably softer/less bouncy.

2.  Hated it.  KAK adapter with an AR tube and Minimalist stock do the trick for me.  

Mine runs on everything from 124s to 147s.  Personal preference is 147s but I seem to hold the minority view.  

Mags drop free. 

You don't have to strip out 3 or 4 rounds in order to use a mag to reload like with Glock mags.  

The minor pf in your pistol will probably be 100 fps faster or so in your MPX.

Run higher PF ammo as it breaks in.

Run it wet.  

Take Aleve when your cheeks start to hurt from smiling so much when you shoot it.  

ace stock (9 in), us machine gun folding adapter, springer mag ext, elf 3gun trigger group with one of there push button safeties, it really likes sns 124 grain coated bullets with 4.5 of CFE pistol, I really like the folding adapter it's solid but folded it will still fit in my Blackhawk tennis racket case. and the ace stock is much more comfortable to shoot then the sig collapsible   

pcc 1.jpg

Edited by fishhunter3
can't type/spell