Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Want to start reloading soon!

CraigEcash86

the base 650 is my planned route, many vids on youtube of diy case feeders so that $200 saved there, DIY bullet feeders are out there as well as 3d printed ones for more cost savings. Right now I have 2 single stages and a SDB in 45 ACP, going 650 because I plan to be loading 9, 40, 45, 223 at the least on it, plus 223 case prep (trimming) 

For those who don't know, the base 650 comes with the shell feed, just missing the automatic powered collator 

• 1 month later...

I've been wanting to get into reloading, mostly pistol (9mm & 45) and have decided on the 650 from Krakenpop. As soon as I get my reloading room (aka spare bedroom) setup I'll be ordering it.

From what others have said, if you can swing the 650 it's a great press to start on, and may be all you ever need for pistol/rifle shooting.

I have the 550 and 1050 (with bullet feeder on the 1050).  Both are great and have their own strengths.  Caliber changes on the 1050 are expensive.  If I was only going to have one press it would be the 650...but I have single stage and rotary presses too.  I load 223 on the 1050 but I consider the 1050 to be a specialized press for straight wall pistol cases and 223.  That's what it does best.  If you load for other types, the 550 or 650 are better.  

I started with a Rockchucker single stage and used that for 15 years...then added a turret press...then the 550...and now the 1050.  I still use them all, although the single stage is put up for now.  For working up different loads quickly, the turret press is hard to beat.  Then I take that recipe to the 550 or 1050 depending on what it is for larger runs.

On 7/16/2017 at 0:54 PM, RMJack said:

I've been wanting to get into reloading, mostly pistol (9mm & 45) and have decided on the 650 from Krakenpop. As soon as I get my reloading room (aka spare bedroom) setup I'll be ordering it.

From what others have said, if you can swing the 650 it's a great press to start on, and may be all you ever need for pistol/rifle shooting.

Going 9 to 45 can be a bit of a pain because of small/large primer but isn't too bad if you to large runs so you aren't changing over all the time. Just got my XL650 in yesterday and already loaded 300rds of 9mm. I ended up ordering from Bobcat Steel/Bobcat Armament, top notch CS from him so far. For the moment I'm thinking about keeping my SDB in .45 to save needing to change over the primers on the XL650,  at least until I get my ammo stockpile built back up 

MfYhhONl.jpg

LyqOUScl.jpg

The 650 was my first press.  I mostly load a few different pistol calibers, and I wanted something that would just work with a minimum of fuss.  I added on a case feeder because i hated messing with the feed tube and much prefer just dumping my brass into the collator.  It'll be a long time before I outgrow this press - The only other step I can think of would be to a Mark 7 or another similar system.

If I had only 1 press or would recommend just 1 press it would be the 650.  I really like the combo of my 550 and 1050 plus the RCBS turret press and Rockchucker.  The only thing I would change would be to add a Mark 7 auto drive to the 1050 in the future.

I like the 650 since you get more of a feel for when things go wrong.  The 1050 is the best however you lose the ability to know when a primer goes sideways.  I may upgrade someday when I have nothing else to buy (never) but for a new reloader the 650 is affordable and comes with a lifetime guarantee.  Dillon is great in responding to replacement part requests and has never refused a request.  Tons of videos on how to use them and many after market accessories the enhance the 650 experience.