Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Don't try so hard

I agree with shooting your speed. The one stage I actually shot like I shot I did really well, 3rd place in my division and 16th over all. The rest of them I was going too fast and completely messed up my stage plan.

So next match this Sunday, I'll be taking it slower and try to be more consistent. As I tend to shoot pretty well when I'm not missing targets or forgetting to reload and going to slidelock.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 7:03 PM, CraigEcash86 said:

In a lot of things I do I push myself hard. But I've noticed in shooting USPSA I found out that it's better not to over think the run. Make a simple plan and go with the flow. 

I have noticed the same thing, often I would watch the super squad and try and copy what they did, well I found out that what works for them does not work for me, I try and find out what flows for me on a stage.  After a while it became easier.  Don't try and count the steps just find a way that keeps you flowing in a positive manner

• 1 month later...
On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 4:12 PM, mrasam said:

I have stopped paying attention to other shooters stage plans and just shoot the one I came up with even if it is completely opposite what everyone else is doing.

That's something I try to do myself, I think its just better to stick to what plan feels right to you and try not to get distracted by the other peoples plans. I also like the KISS rule because once that buzzer goes off things change (mentally) and the simplest plan usually is the easiest one to remember and do. I also have short term memory problems so its even more important for me to keep things simple if I can. I'm getting out of production class because the extra planning that's involved for a 10rd mag limit it just adds so much more planning and remembering it really is very difficult for me, not saying I don't like a challenge though lol

• 4 weeks later...

I am just a C class shooter, old knees, eyes that work on a per minute basis, but I can still clearly remember the best stage I ever ran. The memory is so clear because it was one of those rare times I ran the stage as I planned, and can still visualize that stage.

The key was I don't remember running it. When it was over, I could not really recall how I did it, only felt it was run correctly. That state of mind is where i wish i could stay when  I run all of the stages. 

Edited by mont1120
grammar

2 hours ago, mont1120 said:

, I could not recall how I did it, only felt it was run correctly. That state if mind is where i wish i could stay when  I run all of the stages. 

Now that I'm 73 years old, I'm ALWAYS in that State of Mind ....    :ph34r:

On 11/12/2016 at 8:54 AM, abb1 said:

The toughest part of thinking is your mag changes (in Canada). Shooting IPSC with high capacity mags, there was a lot less thinking as when you seen the target, you just shoot. With 10 rd capacity, you have to coordinate the changes in between targets. If you have 5 targets and plan a mag change, well if you have a miss and have to shoot that extra round, or if you forget to change in between each target group, it messes your entire stage up. Too much thinking is a major handicap and can be frustrating, but it is a real challenge with limited mag capacity.

Felt that way at first when I switched from limited to production. After some number of matches it seems like it all just gets to be automatic and trying to do a good job executing the extra reloads is fun. 

Shot limited at a couple matches last year, had a hard time stopping myself from doing reloads whenever several shots were followed by a fairly long movement. 

I used to focus heavily on stage plans during walkthroughs.  Then I would watch the "good" shooters go and decide to change my plans to mirror them.  Pretty fair to say that hurt me more then it helped.

Now I take about a minute or so and walk a stage to get a plan for my current skills.  Then I just walk away and wait for the start.  I watch other shooters go and if there is some huge eye opening thing I missed that works with my current skills I may incorporate it into my plan. 

but 90% of the time I stick to my plan and I generally am more successful...... and happy

• 6 months later...

I have a bad habit of pushing myself to be better than everybody else and at the end of eveything i end up hating the whole sport. its better to just relax and enjoy the finer aspects of shooting. Im really trying to just do this for me and not be so competitive right now.

I've found that in a match, its never worth it to push yourself beyond your limitations, but instead just perform on the level that you are trained to. Push the envelope in training where you can easily make mistakes and work past them. At matches, I try to relax, and give each stage a 100% effort of my current skills, if that makes sense.

Having a plan is good - but you cannot plan every smallest detail.

Each shot must break when I see what I need to see, not the millisecond I planned. I cannot be 100% sure that my feet will go where I need them, without some adjustment.

IMO    Pushing it to the limit is the way to go.  Don't practice long --Do practice hard.  You won't get smooth or fast unless you push your limits on the the practice range it WILL transfer to your matches.   

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/16/2016 at 10:03 PM, CraigEcash86 said:

In a lot of things I do I push myself hard. But I've noticed in shooting USPSA I found out that it's better not to over think the run. Make a simple plan and go with the flow. 

Helps me in shooting and my golf game. Play like you don't care.