Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Road To Recovery: First Shots

Distant Thunder

I offer an apology in advance if this is not the proper forum for this, but there is an excellent article by Amanda Fry in the latest edition of the USPSA Down Range. Truly an interesting and even inspiring story. http://exclusive.multibriefs.com/content/road-to-recovery-first-shots/recreation-leisure

Edited by Distant Thunder

It is an example of how isolating yourself after a traumatizing event does you (and in this case those around you) no good. It makes me think back to what Coach Lengyel told us in 1971, "There are no guarantees in life, but if you show up, prepared and determined to do your best, good things can happen."

Distant_Thunder2.wps

The_Promise.wps

Edited by Distant Thunder

And sometimes we think we had a bad day at the range! There is a guy who shoots our local Level 1 USPSA match. He is a disabled vet, artificial legs below both knees and his entire left arm is plastic. He loads from a platform on his belt, mags facing up, then cranks the gun in a kind of self racking holster. It's unbelieveable to watch how well he does.  

http://www.shotshell.pt/images/banner.jpg

Hello all,

I get on these forums about every hour to get my shooting fix and it was a nice surprise to see a topic on my wife's article.  She is truly putting her best foot forward and trying to make the best out of a bad situation.  Sunday we will be going out to her first USPSA match (non-steel challenge) since the injury and we hope to have an update on the article in the future.  Thank you to everyone in the shooting community for your support and shoot all A's.

16 hours ago, JBOT5000 said:

Hello all,

I get on these forums about every hour to get my shooting fix and it was a nice surprise to see a topic on my wife's article.  She is truly putting her best foot forward and trying to make the best out of a bad situation.  Sunday we will be going out to her first USPSA match (non-steel challenge) since the injury and we hope to have an update on the article in the future.  Thank you to everyone in the shooting community for your support and shoot all A's.

Looking forward to any and all updates. 

17 hours ago, JBOT5000 said:

Hello all,

I love how small the shooting community is. We're all rooting for her - the sport needs more young faces and definitely needs more active females. Thank her for her time in uniform for us, too!

...and by all means keep us posted either via an updated article, or here on BEnos.

• 1 month later...

Hello all,

Just wanted to give you all a link to the follow up article Amanda wrote detailing her experience shooting her duty weapon for the first time since her injury at a USPSA event.  The article went out today in the IDPA Tactical Brief and will be out with this week's USPSA Downrange as well.  Again thank you to everyone in the shooting community for your support.  We are making progress and there are good and bad days which I'm sure everyone can relate to.  We'll be shooting a precision rifle match on Friday which is the first foray into that world for both of us and we'll detail the experience in a future article as well as continuing to document her pistol progress.  I'll also have an upcoming article detailing my experience at the 2016 Western States Single Stack Championship and using a 1911 for the first time in a competition.  We hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving and stay safe,

http://exclusive.multibriefs.com/content/road-to-recovery-miles-to-go/law-enforcement-defense-security