Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ruger discontinuing all Mark III's including 22/45's and Lite

Absocold

No news has been released yet but the Ruger website was updated about an hour before this posting to reflect the changes. None of the Mark III models appear under products and the product history page is listing them as no longer in production.

http://ruger.com/service/productHistory.html#pistol

Time to buy before they end up on Gunbroker at a markup...

12 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Apparently the Mark III wasn't impossible enough to reassemble.

Will the IV have two extra steps?

As it was, you needed a witch doctor, a full moon, and an inclinometer to put the MF'er back together.

lol...i know  how  you feel. after  dozens of  take down - reassembly  i  now  can put it together eyes closed. all is  in the hammer position on the final step.

if  the lV's  gets  the single button , mark lll's  will take  a  beating on resale  

Edited by sigsauerfan

I needed a threaded barrel Ruger .22 pistol soonish but right before making a purchase, they announced the new Mark IV. Awesome! Except the only available barrels are neither threaded nor very light (read: solid steel bull barrel boat anchors). For the last two weeks I've been hoping either Ruger or the aftermarket would announce a lighter & threaded barrel but this cancellation of the Mark III's has forced my hand. Bought this guy today:

iSdXoYc.jpg

Now to spend another hundred bucks on parts to fix the problems that Ruger saw fit to give these pistols (magazine safety, crap trigger, no slingshot, etc). If TacSol or Volquartsen drops a Mark IV barrel in the next month, I might actually cry a little. Just a little though.

The new Majestic speed strip setup requires you to use their hammer. Sometimes there are compatibility issues with their hammer and the Volquartsen sear (Volquartsen's sear is better than Majestic's) and there have been issues with the Majestic hammer causing light strikes. Also how tightly you screw down the speed strip from one time to the next can change the trigger pull - I haven't tested this myself but another gunsmith told me about it. And the speed strip only lets you get the bolt out easier, if you want to take the barrel off the frame you'll have to pull the mainspring housing anyway.

Seems like a solution to a problem that didn't really need solving. Sure, the first time you finish a detail strip and assembly of your Ruger you think, "I am now qualified to be a rocket surgeon". But once you've done the much simpler field strip a few times and gotten the hang of it, it's not a big deal anymore. A quick pass on the stock bolt stop with an emery cloth makes the whole process much easier.

If your gun is just a range toy and plinker then get the speed strip, it's nifty. But if you want to compete or you're planning other fire control mods, I'd pass on it.

PS. If you think the Ruger is a pain to detail, try a broomhandle mauser, Stoeger Luger .22, HK MP5 with Navy fire control group or the stupid Walther sp22. When someone brings me the "Uhhh, I took it apart to clean it" box of parts and it's any one of those...

• 2 months later...

Come on. It really isn't that difficult. Yes, it's tedious, but it's a gun. It's a .22lr at that. And it typically shoots pretty well for a .22lr. I personally don't care for the weird gap they added to incorporate that one button disassembly.