Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Para Pro Custom 16.40 Magazines

resortboarder

I've been shooting a Para Pro Custom 16.40 for about a year, and it took me from C-class to A-Class Limited, and I've had multiple people ask "Where did you find mags." Here's my story for the next person who searches on Google.

My Para came with 2- 16rd magazines with removable basepads. I bought Dawson Tool-less base pads for the factory Para mags, and they worked flawlessly as 20rd reloadable mags for about 6 months. After the springs failed, I bought two Wolff +10% extra coil springs, cut to size and they have ran great ever since. After a few months, the MBX Para mags were released so I bought two and they have also run flawlessly ever since.

I did buy two of the Greg Cote LLC ACT-Mags advertised to fit 16.40s with a small modification.  I did the mod and they did work, but I had to heavily modify the follower to get 19rds reloadable. In the end, I ended up using the tubes when the anti-slip coating on my factory mags wore through, but they're otherwise only worth the $ if you're willing to sacrifice rd count.

Note: Regarding Arrodondo springs & followers in 16.40 mags, those NEVER worked for me. Follower turned every time I shot the gun resulting in the same "salt shaker" effect. I sent them back to Dawson.

On ‎10‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 6:35 PM, Titaniumbadger22 said:

I use the Greg Cote ACT-Mags with Dawson extended base pads, Arrondondo springs and the follower that came with the ACT mags and get 20 rounds in mine. Work fine, had to file the top of the mag catch slot just a bit to get them to seat.

Awesome.  I tried the Arredondo spring and follower combination in my Greg Cote ACT-Mags too but got the "salt shaker" effect. Wonder why they work on some and not others.

On 10/5/2016 at 11:36 PM, resortboarder said:

I've been shooting a Para Pro Custom 16.40 for about a year, and it took me from C-class to A-Class Limited, and I've had multiple people ask "Where did you find mags." Here's my story for the next person who searches on Google.

My Para came with 2- 16rd magazines with removable basepads. I bought Dawson Tool-less base pads for the factory Para mags, and they worked flawlessly as 20rd reloadable mags for about 6 months. After the springs failed, I bought two Wolff +10% extra coil springs, cut to size and they have ran great ever since. After a few months, the MBX Para mags were released so I bought two and they have also run flawlessly ever since.

I did buy two of the Greg Cote LLC ACT-Mags advertised to fit 16.40s with a small modification.  I did the mod and they did work, but I had to heavily modify the follower to get 19rds reloadable. In the end, I ended up using the tubes when the anti-slip coating on my factory mags wore through, but they're otherwise only worth the $ if you're willing to sacrifice rd count.

Note: Regarding Arrodondo springs & followers in 16.40 mags, those NEVER worked for me. Follower turned every time I shot the gun resulting in the same "salt shaker" effect. I sent them back to Dawson.

Did you try to gauge Those pro custom mags with Dawson pads if it would pass?

I have 4 MecGar Para P16 mags (bought from Greg Cote) w/ Dawson toolless basepads, and Arredondo springs/followers in them

They all seem to work fine for me at 20rd, but I haven't tested them a ton yet since switching to Arredondo springs/followers (only a few hundred rounds).

I have great affection for MBX magazines.  I think they are perfect.  100% reliable and I love the fit and finish.  I also have Para factory magazines with Dawson Extended pads and Wolf springs and find factory mags a bit too square and clunky compared to the nice tapered angle that the MBX mags have.   It really helps with fast reloads sliding into the gun.

Go MBX!

• 4 years later...

Necro-thread.... it’s years later. What are good magazine options that exist for the P16?

I don’t care about max round-count. I’d like reliable, last-round-slidelock, and works with a magwell.

With the death of Para and Remington.... what options exist these days?

Edited by Anon

On 11/9/2020 at 8:57 PM, Anon said:

Necro-thread.... it’s years later. What are good magazine options that exist for the P16?

I don’t care about max round-count. I’d like reliable, last-round-slidelock, and works with a magwell.

With the death of Para and Remington.... what options exist these days?

So.... I personally used STI gen 2 mags. Sometimes they fit with out modifications to frame and sometimes they dont. If they dont it is very easy to cut the frame for them to fit. We do it a lot with Para style frames (Rock island double stack frames) at Prasky Gunworks. I personally just stopped using para style framed limited guns this season, sold my last one to a fellow shooter.