Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Spikes holding down fault lines

Make sure they are nailed all the way down. Saw a guy slice his shin open down to the bone today.  8 to 10" wound. First shooter first squad on stage. Got me thinking of all the spikes I have seen sticking up 1/2"-1" and thought nothing of it.  Would have been DQ'd either way as his shotgun did a 180 straight at me as it hit the ground.  Slipped in the muddy conditions around a corner.   First shooter on our squad.  After medical treatment I helped the Match Director rework the stage  to eliminate the problem terrain.  

I got DQ'd while shooting with the RO's SMM3G two years ago when I tripped on a fault line that had worked it's way out of the ground. The 8' long line  was nailed down on each side but there was a high spot in the ground in the middle of the line and the ends where forced down with the landscape nails. After several competitors the end facing the direction people where running towards had lifted up about 4 inches. Started with my pistol and then picked up the carbine and started moving down the corridor engaging metrics on either side as they became visible. I had to sprint to the next set of targets and my right foot caught the raised fault line. Tried to hang on to my rifle but as I was falling forward the muzzle buried into the ground ripping it out of my hand and I slid forward about six feet. I looked back to see the muzzle pointing straight at my face. 

After the DQ formalities the high spot under the fault line was shoveled flat to solve the problem. I had bruised ego to go along with my multiple abrasions.