Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What rimfire do you shoot for Steel Challenge and why?

GrumpyOne

What rimfire do you shoot for Steel Challenge and why?  

317 members have voted

1. 1. What rimfire 22 do you shoot for Steel Challenge and why?

• Ruger 22/45
    • Smith & Wesson Victory
    • Browning Buckmark
    • Smith & Wesson model 41
    • Ruger MK1
    • Ruger MK II
    • Ruger MK III
    • Smith & Wesson 22A
    • Smith & Wesson 617 10 shot
    • Other auto loader
    • Kadet or Marvel conversion
    • High Standard
    • Colt Woodsman
    • Beretta Neos
    • Walther P22
    • Other revolver
  2. 2. Are you using optics or iron sights?

• Optics
    • Irons
    • No sights

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

26 minutes ago, bigdawgbeav said:

It's a little fuzzy, but I bought a 2nd Victory to keep as dedicated Iron sights.  But I got the threaded barrel so now that resides on my Open gun:

2017-05-06 10.46.06.jpg

Put a cap on the threads and you'll be okay for irons. 

Just now, jkrispies said:

Put a cap on the threads and you'll be okay for irons. 

I'm not sure what you mean... My open gun (above) had the standard barrel originally.  I purchased a used threaded barrel version.  So now I have 2 Victories.  I took the threaded barrel from the new acquisition and put it on the already built-out Open gun to add the TK comp.  Then took the standard barrel from this gun and moved it to the new gun.  The new one stayed dedicated to Irons since it's a PITA to remove the CMore and swap back to irons.  Just easier to have 2 guns... 

3 hours ago, bigdawgbeav said:

I'm not sure what you mean... My open gun (above) had the standard barrel originally.  I purchased a used threaded barrel version.  So now I have 2 Victories.  I took the threaded barrel from the new acquisition and put it on the already built-out Open gun to add the TK comp.  Then took the standard barrel from this gun and moved it to the new gun.  The new one stayed dedicated to Irons since it's a PITA to remove the CMore and swap back to irons.  Just easier to have 2 guns... 

I misunderstood.  I thought you meant that you had an iron sighted but threaded gun that you weren't using due to the rules being what they are.  I got it mow!

Here is one thing that I did not put in my original post about why I use a Mk III as opposed to keeping the Browning or doing a 22/45.  BJ did some testing early in 2014 looking to pick up a few fractions of seconds shooting rimfires from low ready. He had shot Buckmarks for years before he got on the S&W team (we talked a lot here then). Of course during his time with S&W he used a 1911 conversion (TacSol) on a Scandium frame 1911. He showed up at the 2014 NSSF RC worlds shooting a Ruger Mk III for the first time. He said his testing showed that the Luger grip angle of the MK III was worth .1-.2s first shot time over the 1911 grip angle guns like the 22/45, 1911, and Buckmark. He thought that it was because the barrel points higher relative to the grip and he could get it lined up quicker. So that is when I built my FrankenRuger. I set it up exactly like my Buckmark, same 90 degree mount, C-More, Hogue G10 grips, comps, thumbrests, same weight, everything. Both a little below 2# trigger pulls. And the new gun seemed slightly faster to me also, maybe .1s in my case. And that's my story and I am sticking to it. YRMV.

Marvel Unit 1 run on a Limited-10 aluminum 2011 frame built from an 80% paperweight. I have both the Marvel steel and aluminum comps for it. Not sure which I like best, or if I like it with no comp. I run Nelson polymer magazines and they are excellent. Really, going to the double stack frame solved the feeding horrors that I used to have trying to make various single stack conversion mags work. Red dot is a Konus Atomic T-1 clone with 4 MOA dot. The gun itself is completely custom built and weights just under #2 with no magazine or comp. But with a large aluminum magwell. I love it.

I never shot steel with a .22 but I owned the .22 nine pin match at our local pin match using a S & W 41 with an Ultradot.  Shot a friends S & W Victory with a trigger job and custom grips today on steel.  A lot of gun for the money. 

I never shot steel with a .22 but I owned the .22 nine pin match at our local pin match using a S & W 41 with an Ultradot.  Shot a friends S & W Victory with a trigger job and custom grips today on steel.  A lot of gun for the money. 

We'll bring it on then

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 7:32 PM, zzt said:

I checked other also.  I first tried shooting it with my Hammerli.  Worthless.  I tried Rugers.  Problems.  I went to a full on Volquartsen Scorpion.  Didn't cut the mustard for me.  I then bought a Buckmark Camper and turned it into a full race gun.  Trigger job, Tacsol barrel, custom comp, Al grips, red dot rail and sight.  This was the cat's meow for quite a while.  It was faster and more reliable than the Rugers.  After a couple years it started misfeeding.  I can't figure out why.  Because of that I needed a new pistol.

I bought a Marvel Precision Unit 1 with the .400" to .499" accuracy guarantee and their comp.  It makes a tremendous bullseye gun when mated to my custom STI frame, but is cycles too slowly for outlaw steel.  It would be fine for official steel challenge courses.  

I then had Chet Whistle from CW Accessories build a complete upper using his new barrel and the Exo3 slide.  He built it using all his parts, except for the GSG bolt.  The slide with Spring plug and bushing come in at 6oz.  Finish is phenominal. A Burris FF3 is mounted directly to the slide.  Using the progressive spring, cycle speed with CCI 40gr Minimags is very, very minutely slower than the Buckmark.  I shoot much better with it, because it is on a 1911 frame, and that's what I use for most of my shooting.  This is the rig I'll be using for the East Coast Steel Challenge match. 

On a BM after a lot of rounds they usually need a mainspring replacement. That is what cured my issues after having 0 for almost 2 years.

• 5 years later...

That survey needs checkboxes instead of radio buttons.

i shoot a g44 for irons

and a mark 3 for optics/open

and a mark 4 as backup for the mark 3

the mark 3 was decided for optics because the red dot doesn’t move on the slide.

the g44 because I like it and it works

Buckmark Vision Plus Red.  Also have a standard Buckmark Camper for a back up.  

I had one helluva time getting it to run.  After two or three trips to my gunsmith, still had problems.  After speaking with some great guys at a Cactus Combat Steel Challenge match at the Ben Avery range, I bought the TandenKross parts kit.  One final trip to my gunsmith and now it runs fine.  

I really should have sent it back to Browning.  But finally got it running great.

I tried the oversize mag release button from TandenKross but it was too easy to inadvertently hit it and drop the mag during a course of fire.  The last straw was when I did that and dropped the mag in about six inches of muddy water during a string at the AZ State [Aquatic) Steel Championship match; it took me a minute to fish it out of the muddy water!  The button soon came off and I put the standard Browning mag release button back on.  

20210710_104839 rsz.jpg

Wading.jpg