Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA Membership

chuckstur

Edit's not working for me:  Shot IDPA for 3 years, just started USPSA in the beginning of the summer. Regardless of match fees  going to USPSA, I still feel the USPSA classifier system is better and the match fees for outdoor USPSA and IDPA in my area are comparable, so I don't find it obnoxious.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some people would complain if you hanged them with a new rope.

If you don't want to pay dues, there are a lot of affiliated but noncompliant or outright outlaw "style" shoots available.  There is one (1.0) match in my combat radius requiring membership for Tier 1 and that is more for attendance control than any philosophical agreement with B'ville policy and the Rule Book.

• 5 months later...

I'm new myself to Idpa shooting. This morning I just joined the NRA and will join Idpa next month. My feeling is if you can't support your sport and can't afford a lousy $40.00 a year membership to do it maybe you can't afford this sport then. Nothing in life is free. I spend more than that in ammo at the range just shooting paper targets. 

There was a typo I joined the NRA not the NBA, I wish. LOL 

Edited by Photobill

39 minutes ago, Photobill said:

I'm new myself to Idpa shooting. This morning I just joined the NBA and will join Idpa next month. My feeling is if you can't support your sport and can't afford a lousy $40.00 a year membership to do it maybe you can't afford this sport then. Nothing in life is free. I spend more than that in ammo at the range just shooting paper targets. 

Well, yea, if I made NBA money. 

On 9/23/2016 at 11:35 AM, ES13Raven said:

This works as well:

Match fee = $35
Match fee (IDPA member) = $25

Not even a remote chance that I would pay $35 for a regular monthly club-level IDPA match!

If its a good match..the match fee doesn't effect my decision to shoot one bit.  I am already spending likely over 100 bucks in Gas, food and ammo. +-$10 is not going to change anything for me.  

We had a special classifier match a while back (uspsa) and I charged $5 more then our regular match fee and had some question it.  They understood after I explained the USPSA fees but I was surprised how many people actually were concerned with $5 in a game as expensive as action pistol shooting.  

19 hours ago, wgj3 said:

Not even a remote chance that I would pay $35 for a regular monthly club-level IDPA match!

One, that's California pricing and entirely inline with every match there. Secondly, you haven't seen their club matches.

Living in the South now, having moved from California, if a local match here is more than $10 people act like you're holding their child for ransom. I don't get it.

Most people I run into here would rather have a blah quality match that was cheap and they were done with well before lunch than a match with larger stages, more people attending, longer time to shoot match. Especially when almost all clubs here only have just one match a month. One. Make something out of it, just don't half azz it.

I see a lot of people trading good away for easy. And it drives me crazy.

Edited by rowdyb

@rowdyb I have noticed the same thing! If it's once a month, I'd rather pay $35 for 8 genuinely interesting stages at a clean facility where I have lots of competition...

Than $15 for a small match with 5 identically uncreative ones, surrounding a rusty mobile home in the middle of nowhere.

On ‎9‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 7:00 PM, v1911 said:

A $40 annual membership fee is what we are complaining about? Is it because people spend too much on  mags, bullets, powder, aftermarket parts, gear, clothes, training classes, etc that we can't be bothered with a $40 fee?

Our club is a stickler on this rule. 1st match is on us, minus range fees and then you're expected to be a member by the next match. We haven't heard anyone vocally be opposed to this. Could there have been some turned off by this? Maybe. But that's why the 1st one's on us. Zero commitment. It's not everyone's cup of tea. But if you enjoy it enough, we expect that you follow the same rules that the rest of us abide by.

Not sure which club is your's but Cross Timbers took my $10 for my first match......and I was already an unclassified IDPA member.

1 hour ago, RangerTrace said:

Not sure which club is your's but Cross Timbers took my $10 for my first match......and I was already an unclassified IDPA member.

They should not have as it's our policy that the 1st match is on us.

I'll even go 1 step further and have them classify you as Master. ;)

1 hour ago, Rub'n said:

They enforce the 1 match rule where I live. 

Was told I wasn't welcome back unless I join IDPA....

The friendly folks hang out in USPSA. 

How are you going to say that they aren't friendly because they are enforcing an organization rule? Just because another organization is happy to take your money without having you join doesn't automatically qualify them as friendly. Now if you had a bad experience with a local club, then I could see you not wanting to participate. But shunning a club/organization just because you didn't want to follow protocol is just petty on your part. 

I know people that shoot both sports and in my area, both organizations have very friendly/helpful members. YMMV. 

I ran the IDPA match alone at times. 

Kept it going...even recruited new members. 

The current match director was one of my students. 

The thanks I got was underwhelming....

its a stupid rule. They lost a hard working guy. 

5 minutes ago, Rub'n said:

I ran the IDPA match alone at times. 

Kept it going...even recruited new members. 

The current match director was one of my students. 

The thanks I got was underwhelming....

its a stupid rule. They lost a hard working guy. 

So you had a sour experience with the club you were affiliated with. While I understand that each club is a representative of the organization as a whole, I would chalk this one up as having a crumby club. Sorry things turned out the way they did. But that can happen with any sport.

If you browse the USPSA sub forum, there are numerous threads that talk about MDs that struggle through the very same thing. So while your situation is unfortunate, it isn't unique to just IDPA. 

I'm new to IDPA...

I shot my 1st match in 2003. 

Maybe I'll catch on. 

HaHa....I've seen a few rule changes. 

They might address this in the future. 

Or not....I'm good either way. 

It is now a three match rule before you can be required to join.

There is only one place around here that enforces it and that because they are frequently booked up and requiring a member number to preregister lets them have an objective basis for limiting entries to what the range can handle. 

I think the NRA practice of Unclassified = Master would give the more serious new shooters incentive to join and classify. 

• 1 month later...
On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 0:56 PM, Jim Watson said:

I think the NRA practice of Unclassified = Master would give the more serious new shooters incentive to join and classify. 

Why? At local matches does anyone actually look at anything other than overall.

The local matches I shoot do not enforce the requirement to be a member to shoot unless its a classifier. As far as friendly people almost all of the people I shoot IDPA with also shoot USPSA.

Most people look at division and classification for their local match results. Normally the only people looking at overall are the one or two people who think they had a chance of winning it.

I'd have no problem with U equaling Master. It's happened to me in other sports.

On 3/22/2017 at 5:19 AM, rowdyb said:

Most people I run into here would rather have a blah quality match that was cheap and they were done with well before lunch than a match with larger stages, more people attending, longer time to shoot match. Especially when almost all clubs here only have just one match a month. One. Make something out of it, just don't half azz it.

I see a lot of people trading good away for easy. And it drives me crazy.

Local club holds up to 5 idpa matches(4 stages) and one classifier a month. Although I do like having so many monthly matches, sometimes I would trade them for less matches with more intricate stages. I might have to have a chat with the Division director about that.

• 7 months later...

I guess the key is access to shoots is what makes the membership seem worth the expense. If you're only going to shoot 1 or 2 matches a year, the membership doesn't seem worth it. If you can shoot 15 matches a year, the $40 doesn't seem too bad. I don't think the $40 is a deal breaker but I can shoot 70-ish matches a year if I had the time. There are plenty of things that you have to pay to play. I don't think $40 a year is completely out of line. 

On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 12:56 PM, Jim Watson said:

It is now a three match rule before you can be required to join.

There is only one place around here that enforces it and that because they are frequently booked up and requiring a member number to preregister lets them have an objective basis for limiting entries to what the range can handle. 

Jim do they enforce it because they are the ONLY IDPA club around? PMRPC?

In my opinion they are struggling with getting and keeping members.  whereas, USPSA has matches and disciplines at multiple clubs.

On 3/22/2017 at 10:00 AM, MemphisMechanic said:

@rowdyb I have noticed the same thing! If it's once a month, I'd rather pay $35 for 8 genuinely interesting stages at a clean facility where I have lots of competition...

Than $15 for a small match with 5 identically uncreative ones, surrounding a rusty mobile home in the middle of nowhere.

Exactly. Well said.