Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA Membership

chuckstur

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^more or less what I've done in the past, open to everyone but since I use the official site for scoring, asked new shooters to join as it made some of the logistics simpler. It would also give new shooters a history of there matches, as some of the clubs around here (especially indoor ranges) want to ensure/confirm new shooters have actually attended matches prior.

Seems like a small price to pay, we never had an issue or a complaint about being asked to join after 1 or 2 matches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 9/15/2016 at 9:08 AM, safeactionjackson said:

Seems like a small price to pay, we never had an issue or a complaint about being asked to join after 1 or 2 matches.

Anybody have an idea how many never come back because they can't see spending several match fees to pay for the privilege of shooting IDPA several times a year?

Edited by SACase

I'd like to shoot one or 2 a year.   But I'm not willing to meet the membership and classification rules.   This is a spo t with guns, deliberately breaking the rules is a bad idea.   So I don't shoot IDPA.   I would gladly pay an extra $5 a match to shoot one occasionally .

A $40 annual membership fee is what we are complaining about? Is it because people spend too much on  mags, bullets, powder, aftermarket parts, gear, clothes, training classes, etc that we can't be bothered with a $40 fee?

Our club is a stickler on this rule. 1st match is on us, minus range fees and then you're expected to be a member by the next match. We haven't heard anyone vocally be opposed to this. Could there have been some turned off by this? Maybe. But that's why the 1st one's on us. Zero commitment. It's not everyone's cup of tea. But if you enjoy it enough, we expect that you follow the same rules that the rest of us abide by.

Edited by v1911

Anybody have an idea how many never come back because they can't see spending several match fees to pay for the privilege of shooting IDPA several times a year?

....this is why we can't have nice things, it amazes me that people have this type of attitude towards supporting the organization that bring so much to so many (maybe start you own sanctioning body, for people that only shoot two matches a year and are cheap @sses).

I guess when you grow up downloading music for free..... you struggle with any cost being associated with anything, what a shame.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, safeactionjackson said:

....this is why we can't have nice things, it amazes me that people have this type of attitude towards supporting the organization that bring so much to so many (maybe start you own sanctioning body, for people that only shoot two matches a year and are cheap @sses).

I guess when you grow up downloading music for free..... you struggle with any cost being associated with anything, what a shame.

Well said!

My statement wasn't directed towards anyone, nor was it meant to be a personal attack of any kind.

Hear people every day criticizing this or that as it relates to shooting sports, with no regard to how difficult it is to pull off even small matches, let alone how much works really goes into the two matches some attend per year.

Honestly it seems like a small price to pay considering how much of work truly goes into the sport. If you are walking into a match, not helping in any fashion, and leaving when you are done shooting.... you have nothing to complain about, pay your match/membership fee and consider it a bargain compared to helping out on your own time.

While the grass is always greener on the other side, someone still had to mow it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, safeactionjackson said:

(maybe start you own sanctioning body, for people that only shoot two matches a year and are cheap @sses).

They already exist (USPSA / Steels / probably bullseye and icore and etc. ), if you are really into the sports and want to attend higher level matches then you will pay fees though.

I do not mind paying USPSA & IDPA dues because I feel like I get enough out of the higher level matches & etc. to justify my costs. For casual shooters I think asking for annual dues is just greedy, and I see a lot more bang for my buck with USPSA (which requires no fees for casual shooters) than with IDPA. 

1 hour ago, IHAVEGAS said:

They already exist (USPSA / Steels / probably bullseye and icore and etc. ), if you are really into the sports and want to attend higher level matches then you will pay fees though.

I do not mind paying USPSA & IDPA dues because I feel like I get enough out of the higher level matches & etc. to justify my costs. For casual shooters I think asking for annual dues is just greedy, and I see a lot more bang for my buck with USPSA (which requires no fees for casual shooters) than with IDPA. 

The part bolded above is incorrect. IDPA makes it's money strictly from membership dues. No match fees go to IDPA. While USPSA doesn't require membership to participate in a match, part of every match fee goes to USPSA. So it's not "greedy", it's how the organization makes it's money. The two sports make their money differently.

58 minutes ago, Tarkeg said:

The part bolded above is incorrect. IDPA makes it's money strictly from membership dues. No match fees go to IDPA. While USPSA doesn't require membership to participate in a match, part of every match fee goes to USPSA. So it's not "greedy", it's how the organization makes it's money. The two sports make their money differently.

Interesting, I thought that IDPA charged clubs an annual fee for affiliation & that USPSA fees per local match were limited to classification scores. Both assumptions may be incorrect.

At the end of the day though, local match fees are the same for my local IDPA & USPSA matches ($20.00) so the extra money IDPA makes by requiring registration has to be going somewhere. 

Right but casual shooters do not pay the activity fee or whatever it is for classifiers that are not uploaded. So the local club actually benefits (slightly).

Sent from an iDevice. Please forgive any grammatical or spelling errors. If the post doesn't make sense or is not amusing then it is technology's fault and most certainly not operator error.

On 9/19/2016 at 7:13 AM, safeactionjackson said:

Bravo!

On 9/16/2016 at 9:38 PM, Smitty79 said:

I'd like to shoot one or 2 a year.   But I'm not willing to meet the membership and classification rules.   This is a spo t with guns, deliberately breaking the rules is a bad idea.   So I don't shoot IDPA.   I would gladly pay an extra $5 a match to shoot one occasionally .

same here. I stopped shooting IDPA because I was only going to shoot a few matches.

On 9/19/2016 at 5:51 PM, ArrDave said:

Right but casual shooters do not pay the activity fee or whatever it is for classifiers that are not uploaded. So the local club actually benefits (slightly).

wait, what? Our club uploads the whole match, so the classifier fees for non-members get payed too. To do otherwise would be dishonest.

idpa was the first shooting sport i participated in. being curious i read the rules online after my first match. saw it said i should join so i did. the decision came from me.

i've never shot at a local club that hinted at or enforced this.

1 hour ago, motosapiens said:

same here. I stopped shooting IDPA because I was only going to shoot a few matches.

I'm relatively new to the game, and have zero experience with club administration on the USPSA side of the house.  I didn't realize, I apologize

Edited by ArrDave
Can't edit the other post.