Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Invasion of privacy concerns?

Official old guy here.  I have this standard that says that the less information that I make public - that is a good thing for me.  Am I the only one that still feels like that or do the rest of you not mind telling Googlie everything about you for free?  I have nothing to hide, but privacy is something that many generations fought for in this country and giving it away for free just feels damn wrong to me.

I'm try to download a phone based ballistic program on my Android phone.  I've never had a Googlie acct.  So to buy a ballistics program off of the web they want:

My full name

Birthday

credit card number

I get over this and move to the next stage:

Now to download the actual program, the program needs access to my pictures folder, wants access to my location function on the phone and wants access to my microphone. 

I'm one of those guys that doesn't even have my location function turned on in my phone and on purpose I turned it off. 

So just tell me that they already know everything anyhow and to pull my old outdated head out of my rear and get over it and start enjoying the new apps that are available.  :unsure:

Google wants all that data because they are 'Data Miners', they want as much personal information as possible so they can sell it or customize their content for each specific user. If the app itself asks for that access then hit Deny, chances are it will work just fine.

There was no option on Strelok Pro to hit deny that I could find.  Maybe I will just print out data sheets and let it go at that. 

Wondering if you give permission can you later delete the program and then delete the permission or once given it is always taken.

Strange stuff indeed.

• 11 months later...

If it's the first time you've downloaded an app on your Android phone, Google wants to set up your "Play Store" profile so that you can easily and seamlessly buy apps or make "in app" purchases.  If the app you're trying to download is free, you don't need to supply this information.

On my dad's android phone, I haven't provided this info, yet he and I are still able to download free apps just fine.

When I want to download something free from Google, they always ask for credit card information. So far, they've let me bypass.

At the moment I have Lapua Ballistics, Sako Ballistics, Vihtavuori Reload, and a shot timer.

Usually, I keep Mobile Data, WiFi and location switched off. It is easy enough to switch them on if I feel the need.

• 1 month later...

Yeah, I believe that humanity has lost its privacy. Even if you stay away from Social media and use a flip phone, your information is out there, when one buys things online. The Patriot Act sort of sealed the deal.

It is a reality for this generation that we have hardly any privacy.