Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
biglou13

Time draw to shot

draw to first shot time (iron sight/ FO sight)  

205 members have voted

  1. 1. average time from beep to first shot, a zone, 5 yards, feel free to post calssification in comments

    • sub 0.8
      10
    • sub 0.9
      29
    • sub 1.0
      30
    • sub 1.1
      22
    • sub 1.2
      27
    • sub 1.3
      15
    • sub 1.4
      7
    • sub 1.5
      11
    • sub 1.6
      6
    • sub 1.7
      3
    • sub 1.9
      4
    • sub 2.0
      0
    • greater than 2.0
      2


Recommended Posts

1 second at 5 yards is average for me. Gotten down to low .7s in practice but its not consistent enough to depend on it. Much lower than 1 is tough. I have to prep the trigger to make it happen. I'm an A class production guy and shoot a shadow. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This bell curve is hillarious. Next time you are running the clock at a match watch the first shot times. Will not look anything like this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On December 19, 2016 at 7:57 PM, fastluck13 said:

This bell curve is hillarious. Next time you are running the clock at a match watch the first shot times. Will not look anything like this. 

But it is also extremely uncommon to have an open paper at 5 yards that you don't have to move to engage as the first array. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gooldylocks said:

But it is also extremely uncommon to have an open paper at 5 yards that you don't have to move to engage as the first array. 

Fair enough. But when there is, these will not be the results. Look at 2016 open nationals. Stage 6 was a one shot quick draw stage. 1 second or better was 14th place or better. Nick Saiti won it with a .75. Only one person below .8. Just an observation.

 

Winning run https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWV15e0Bbs4&sns=em

https://www.uspsa.org/uspsa-display-match-results-detail.php?indx=18846&division=Open&stage=6&guntype=Pistol

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, fastluck13 said:

Fair enough. But when there is, these will not be the results. Look at 2016 open nationals. Stage 6 was a one shot quick draw stage. 1 second or better was 14th place or better. Nick Saiti won it with a .75. Only one person below .8. Just an observation.

 

Winning run https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWV15e0Bbs4&sns=em

https://www.uspsa.org/uspsa-display-match-results-detail.php?indx=18846&division=Open&stage=6&guntype=Pistol

 

I don't think this poll has anything to do with match times much less times at nationals. I could hit .6 on this in practice easily and do it over and over again, but I likely would be right around .8 - .9 at a match. Most shooters times between practice and matches would swing much more than .3ish. Just not a fair comparison.

The main reason this bell curve is inaccurate is the tiny sample size.

Edited by Jake Di Vita

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In practice I can keep it under .85

I don't check nor care in a match.  After I run a Match Stage all I care about are the hits and HF

A class CO

Edited by zhunter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, zhunter said:

In practice I can keep it under .85

I don't check nor care in a match.  After I run a Match Stage all I care about are the hits and HF

A class CO

Why don't you care? Sure, hit factor is all that matters while you're shooting the match but when I get home and analyze my performance I want to look at every single piece of it including the draw times. Just looking at hits and hit factor doesn't tell the whole story. If you wanna build yourself into a better shooter, you gotta know what you're working with under match conditions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Jake Di Vita said:

Why don't you care? Sure, hit factor is all that matters while you're shooting the match but when I get home and analyze my performance I want to look at every single piece of it including the draw times. Just looking at hits and hit factor doesn't tell the whole story. If you wanna build yourself into a better shooter, you gotta know what you're working with under match conditions.

Jake, I push very hard in live and dry fire, so that pushes my speed, in a match I just shoot my dot, when I see it I fire.   I figure on a close hoser target I am in the 1.0 second range at a match.  I do get your point, and I will start checking things out.  That being said, matches in my area seldom have a "first" target that does not require movement.  For the most part I think it is typically classifier only.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't practiced this in a while, but my best time ( I draw from holster , shooting at plates on a plate rack from 10 yds ) to date is 1.21.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Best so far is 1.07, usually around 1.3.

I did however draw and fire 3 rounds at 5 yards in 1.34s my splits are usually .17-.20

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Normal for me is 1.3-1.5, with .18-.22 splits. I've hit 1.1, but don't feel in control.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been practicing quite a bit , CO with a Blade tech. True average is around 1.1. some in the .9's bit they get sloppy and grip is not optimum for second shot.

 

I had rather focus on a good solid grip draw that sets me up for a good run than a fast , poor grip that kills my stage.

 

My 22 year old son consistently is below 1. First trip out he was in the .8s.... Made me sick! I squandered my youth...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

.79 - 1.04 consistent with a target focus. No need for a sharp front sight this close. I enjoy dry fire practice at this distance with a par at .60. It's hard for me to beat the timer
at .60 but the speed and conservation of motion feels great.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My average (...at the one live fire session I've done this year) was 1.07, hands at sides, alpha to 7 yards with plastic Production gun.  My fastest was .93.  I'm a mid-B class Production shooter who needs to practice lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With a DAA Racemaster holster and a tuned 2011 @ 5 yards just under 1, but I'm trying to work down to .8 at 5yds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lately in practice when cold I am down around 1-1.1 once warmed up I am seeing .85-.95 2011 out of a bladetech 

 

haven't checked the time in a match but guess would be around 1.1-1.2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Best so far is 1.07, usually around 1.3.

I did however draw and fire 3 rounds at 5 yards in 1.34s my splits are usually .17-.20

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk



Finally broke 1.00!! 0.93 seconds double action, Cz 75 sp-01 shadow alpha at 7 yards.

Don't know how I managed that, as I've not been practicing at all just shooting a match every weekend sometimes twice a weekend.

Splits are around .18-.14 now, usually alpha Charlie unless it's close by or hardcover where I actually have to aim but I slow down too.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Average between 1.2-1.3 from the 7, probably the same or close from the 5. I'm mid B shooter in steel challenge. However I shoot smoke and hope with A times.

Edited by JamesEM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×