Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Time draw to shot

biglou13

draw to first shot time (iron sight/ FO sight)  

264 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Uspsa "silhouette" target/ or idpa

5 yards ( see above) full target

no concealment, but feel free to post concealed /cover garment time

Thinking  Uspsa - ish here, iron, FO sight 

any legal starting position.....

Edited by biglou13

Are you getting a sight picture? It doesn't need to be a bullseye type sight picture, but don't get in the habit of just throwing the shoot downrange as far as you can.

I often train to a sight picture with no trigger pull in dry fire. I try and beat a par time on my timer.

I realize 1.3 is ragged edge for me.   I'm not Ashamed of my times.   I'm new draws, and newer to boss hanger. 

Today's live fire.  I set par timer today at 1.8 second , I concentrated on form I was easily beating Par, seeing every shot  all a's. I feel like I was getting good training, well controlled shots.. getting weak hand grip built stronger and faster, and more precise strong hand out of   Holster, and prepping D/A on extension.  

My plan is drop par time gradually in live and dry fire.   

"IT". Happened a few times today.    Where draw and shot went fluidly the 1.4 sec draw to shot seemed like slow motion./. Time folded....  Like I was watching from outside.   

Edited by biglou13

• 2 weeks later...

Those of you who are getting less than 1 second.  I assume you are focusing on the target and the gun has a soft focus at this distance.  If you have a good grip and your presenting to target in a straight line it a focus on a pefect sight alignment seems unnecessary if your natural point of aim is correct, grip etc.  It makes me laugh to see taran shoot from the hip on the plates at 20 feet.  Crazy.   

Consistent sub 1.1 sec in practice (A zone hit on metric target at 7 yards).  This is shooting Open with a race holster.  I've never taken the time to check the timer during a match but would bet it usually a little slower.

Switch to my 3 gun gear (COM kydex holster) and the times creep up a bit.

With airsoft at the house, I get to go monkey-sh** crazy and can get a few sub .8 sec runs each practice session.

On September 9, 2016 at 2:11 PM, target4fun said:

Yeah I think I need to invest in a quality airsoft gun, that is the best way to stay honest with your practice and also get in a double tap on targets as well. 

I just ordered https://www.redwolfairsoft.com/redwolf/airsoft/Gas_Pistols_SMGs_Tokyo_Marui_Tokyo_Marui_HI_CAPA_5_1.htm along with two extra magazines. Will buy the gas and pellets locally as shipping for those items was more than the cost.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/26/2016 at 9:48 AM, PatJones said:

I often train to a sight picture with no trigger pull in dry fire. I try and beat a par time on my timer.

0.53 is circus trick fast!

I'm just a hack. I can crank on the 0.84 draws in practice but in a match it's right around 1 second in a stand and draw scenario. 

0.47 is insane.

I've had a couple really quick ones under 0.80 but I know in my heart I got lucky and happened to just anticipate the beep perfectly. 

given most peoples reaction time is limited to about 0.15 to 0.20 seconds you are getting the rest of the draw and shot done in something like 0.30. that's impressive.

as far as technique goes yes while listening for the beep eyes are burning a hole in that A zone.

I should mention by 0.84 draw is still coming down on top of the grip and I think it's about my limit for that type of draw. for a scoop type draw with practice I could probably shave a little off. I just practice the one type (coming up then down onto the grip) as it works for all types of draw (hands by sides, surrender, hands on barrel, hands on wall etc) and it gives me the best chance at hitting my grip properly. In trying the scoop I can see it has potential to be lots faster but in my in-expert hands it also has more potential for grip trainwreck which can be hard to correct without wasting more time than you initially gained. 

1 hour ago, BeerBaron said:

0.53 is circus trick fast!

I'm just a hack. I can crank on the 0.84 draws in practice but in a match it's right around 1 second in a stand and draw scenario. 

0.47 is insane.

I've had a couple really quick ones under 0.80 but I know in my heart I got lucky and happened to just anticipate the beep perfectly. 

given most peoples reaction time is limited to about 0.15 to 0.20 seconds you are getting the rest of the draw and shot done in something like 0.30. that's impressive.

as far as technique goes yes while listening for the beep eyes are burning a hole in that A zone.

I should mention by 0.84 draw is still coming down on top of the grip and I think it's about my limit for that type of draw. for a scoop type draw with practice I could probably shave a little off. I just practice the one type (coming up then down onto the grip) as it works for all types of draw (hands by sides, surrender, hands on barrel, hands on wall etc) and it gives me the best chance at hitting my grip properly. In trying the scoop I can see it has potential to be lots faster but in my in-expert hands it also has more potential for grip trainwreck which can be hard to correct without wasting more time than you initially gained. 

I only do that style of draw, I can get down to high .6s if I am really crankin. I agree though, I only practice doing that style of draw because it seems dumb to try and learn multiple ways, not to mention that the scoop draw is super more likely to go wrong and end in an unsafe situation and DQ. 

agreed. the scoop can be super fast but the times I've done it I could see how it can easily end with the gun twirling nicely up into the air in front of me. with a 1lb10oz SAO trigger with nothing but a manual safety I really don't want that...and even with the potential safety issue aside probably 1 out of 4 draws my grip wasn't right as with the scoop you're using your finger to lift the grip into your hand rather than bearing down hard into the beavertail which helps index the grip for you. 

some guys can do the scoop well and I have no problem with anyone using that method, it just wasn't for me. :)

your draw is very rapid goldylocks. :) that vid of your CYC classifier is very sporty indeed.

I'm sure there is a body mechanics issue or a reaction issue that will help me go from my 84s to a 64.

In my case there was no magic secret that got me from my previous 1.1s to the 90s and occasional 84s. It was simply this. as my gun handling and confidence had improved I'd 'learned' to draw at a certain pace. One day I just thought: "why don't I move my hand faster?". lol sounds simple but it was a revelation. My ability had improved that I could put more aggression into the movement and do the same task that used to take me 1.1 in 0.90 or better. just by moving faster. 

early on I hard started practicing draw movement without a gun which looked silly at home but I think helped with my fundamental technique.

for me it's 3 steps from a 'hands loose by sides'.

1. weak hand slaps my belly (just above belly button) strong hand onto the grip

2. clap your hands.

3. punch out.

doing those motions over and over at home just burn it in. as someone (jake or maybe chalee) said you don't really need to spend a bunch of live fire on draws. for one thing you can do them in dry fire effectively and secondly every string of fire starts with a draw.

At the end of a practice I usually count up my last 10 rounds or so and do a couple of fav drills and close range to really burn out some speed. usualy do a bill drill or 2. a couple of 2/reload/2 and then when I don't have enough rounds for those (say just 3 rounds or so). I'll do a couple 5 yards draws. not too many, 2 or 3 is enough. it's a nice way to finish a session and really let it all hang out (within reason). By then I'm all warmed up and cranking a couple sub 1second draws makes me feel good. :)