Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

EasyHit PXS1000

BoyGlock

Im already in Open wi aimpoint R1 cause of my aging eyes. This is much cheaper than red dots. Also its mounting is much simplier. If it works same as red dots, I wanna try it. One concern is how rugged is it. 

Edited by BoyGlock

Mounting system is simple but looks fragile. Think it can survive 3gun rough handling?

Without battery its dot comes from the fiber optic at the rear. Dot intensity  is not adjustable. How does it look in low light? In bright daylight sun?

Just some concerns that immefiately come to mind. Otoh I might just go and test it. 

Wish some knowledgeable folks here could chime in

On 24 August 2016 at 7:24 PM, Chriswakey said:

Seen them before, in IPSC would put you in Open, so can't see the point may as well have a red dot in open!

Do they use it til now?

In ipsc do they dump the gun as in 3G? Its mounting is a bit worrisome to withstand this. 

But if everything works fine per our requirement, this is pretty cool! Reliable, accurate, precise, rugged...and less costly.  Its why Im interested. 

image.png

That's pretty nifty.  I bet it's about a durable as a cmore when it comes to dumping the gun.  Similarity large ring on top.

What are you seeing for prices?  I saw $150 with some quick googling... for $220 you could get a Holosun 503g with the acss circle dot reticle.  I run one on my mka1919 and in limited use so far lim really happy.  I'm not sure I wouldn't just spendthe extra $70 for an actual red dot.

19 hours ago, ropsitos said:

That's pretty nifty.  I bet it's about a durable as a cmore when it comes to dumping the gun.  Similarity large ring on top.

What are you seeing for prices?  I saw $150 with some quick googling... for $220 you could get a Holosun 503g with the acss circle dot reticle.  I run one on my mka1919 and in limited use so far lim really happy.  I'm not sure I wouldn't just spendthe extra $70 for an actual red dot.

For pricing and quality I prefer to compare it with Aimpoint and CMore. ?

Got the sight in last night.  It's a nicely made sight and I like what I've seen so far.  The picture is surprisingly sharp for something being cast by a fiber optic.  It's not perfectly clear, but still impressive to me.  I like the mounting system.  6 total screws.  1 on each side at the front and back and then the two on top at the front and back as well.  Seems like they are going to hold it pretty snug and I will be able to easily adjust my POA/POI.  It looks good on the gun and if I weren't such a troglodyte, I'd figure out a way to post a pic.  

The brightness is interesting.  Obviously it varies given the amount of light you have going into the FO rod.  Walking it through my house in varying light conditions it was always plenty bright UNLESS I was in a dark place and aiming at the point where my light source was coming from.  So if I'm in a dark room and aiming into a lit hall, the ring goes bye bye.  I'm sure that there are many who will write off the sight for such reasons and I'm not really sure that's a good decision.  Outside of taking a shot at a lightbulb or the sun or maybe shooting out of a cave into a bright sky, the sight seems like it will do everything you want it to do.  I didn't take it outside yet, and will report more when I do.  As is, I'd say the only improvement I can see being made is possibly throw a tritium lamp somewhere on the FO rod so that the super tactical crowd wouldn't be able to complain about light source.  If it ends up washing out or becoming too faint outdoors, that WOULD be a major consideration and I will let you know if that happens for sure.  

Give me a few weeks and I'll get back to you guys.  I'll probably sight in slugs next week if time permits.

It does pretty well outdoors.  I didn't try it at dawn or dusk, but it was late afternoon and it lit up very bright on a moderately cloudy day.  The only time I had washout was aiming at the sun or the super bright clouds that were "touching" the sun.  Other than that, it was very visible.  Seems like a great turkey/deer sight for sure.  

It has surprised in its ability to cause my vision to self correct for crossed dominance and I can actually aim with both eyes fully open (something I cannot do with pistols).  This is a great surprisr for me). Slugs this week!!!!

That's where I bought from and I got nervous when the tracking info that I was sent didn't work right and i didn't get an answer when I called.  However the owner himself called back and was very professional and friendly.  Turns out my package had already been delivered that day (pretty quick delivery).

I'm going to head out to the range in a few minutes.

Well there's some good news and bad news.

Bad news

1.  The mounting system isn't the greatest I've seen.  I either failed to mount it correctly or it just didn't work correctly.  I noticed it coming loose and the front hanging in mid air after a few shots.  I tightened it back down what I thought was pretty tight, but ten shots later it flew over my right shoulder.

2.  I can't give a detailed review of how it works as a slug sight.

Good news.

1. It survived being flung to a concert floor from 6 feet up without any scratches or dings.

2.  It was very easy to see and use and seemed to be putting them where I wanted.

I've remounted, following the directions, as tight as I feel I can go without majorly damaging something.  I'll try again soon.

930 ran like a top and my CZ TS is really starting to blow my mind.

Edited by Pistolpete9

I will eventually put Loctite on the screws, but not until the system has proven itself.  That wasn't the problem.  The screws were not loosening.  What I think may have been the problem was that I had it far enough back that the rear wasn't actually resting on the rib, but the forcing cone instead, by just a small amount.  That kept it from getting the correct "grip" on the rib.  I remounted it further up and it seems sturdy, but it needs to survive a sighting in session before I'll give the full endorsement.  I do think that you'll be happy with it though.  

• 2 weeks later...

Had a better outing with it using just birdshot.  I can't tell if it's a great sight for shooting clays, because I suck at shooting clays.  I was better, but I can't promise anyone who knows what they're doing with a shotty would improve.  I'm an aimer by nature, so shotguns have eluded me.  This helped me be less of an aimer and at least know where I was aiming when I was focused on the sights.  Usually it's been guesswork. It stayed on just fine and I suspect it will now, but another round of slugs is coming up and that will really tell me what I want to know either way.

How has your experience been BoyGlock?

• 1 month later...

This is a continued observation of this sight.

I've fired several hundred more rounds and the sight has held up nicely. Part of me still thinks that a few more dollars on a C-more might be worth it just because adjusting for POI is kind of a pain.  My slugs routinely hit in the same place and the sight is holding on nice and tight now.  The earlier issue was indeed my fault.

It has proven itself to me as a skeet sight as well.  I went out this weekend and was able to perform better with my JM Pro (not a skeet gun) than I could with a couple different Benellis, Brownings, and other high dollar shotguns.  Might not be saying much, but the guys who owned the other shotguns also could shoot better with mine.  Put the sight on one of those guns and you might be a pretty formidable force.  I'm not saying that it will make a great shooter better, but definitely helps the more occasional shooters who aren't great at pointing their shotguns.

The glass is okay.  Could be better.  In the outdoors, it will get it done unless you're aiming into the sun, which would blind most shooters anyway.  I would not call this a good tactical sight, but would probably do very well in 3-Gun or the like.  I'm happy I purchased it and it has served me well.

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished testing and tried but failed to zero this sight in my SX3. Very disappointed that the mounting set screws cannot firmly hold the sight on the rib. Similar to Pete's initial experience, the screws cannot hold on to the rib after just a few shots. I tightened them as firmly as reasonably be that the front screws were biting the materials of the rib but will still move upwards during recoil. I guess the smallish width of the rib at 5.+ mm contributes to this. But its still within specs of the sight which says 5mm min rib requirement. I removed the sight for now and shoot with just a bead until I find a way to work around the problem. If not I might install a rail and put an aimpoint micro thats currently idle in another shotgun.