Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide milling for mini red dot

jeremy kemlo

I have a Smith & Wesson M&p pro. I want to get the slide mild for a mini red dot to shoot carry optics. Any suggestion on where to get the slide milled? Do I have to mil it for a specific site or do any of these places also make adapter plates if I want to switch sites?  I like the durability of the  RMR sites but they are very pricey. If there are not others that will last on the slide mount that may be my only choice. Has anyone had any luck with the Romeo one or the Romeo three? Or any other suggestions. Is there any reason to cowitness? In the long run would learning to shoot the mini red dot without a cowitness be faster?

IMHO, you really want to have red dot selection nailed down before you go to mill. It would not be good to mill for something that ultimately didn't work or was unreliable. There isn't a common mounting pattern, and nobody aftermarket really does multi-optic plates. There are some who do multi-optic cuts, but those aren't optimal as the cut needs to be longer to accommodate different lengths and patters. When you cut for just your optic, you can get a nice tight fit no gaps front or back when milling into slide.

Suggest you test with dovetail mount as a start. You'll learn a lot about what you like or don't like, its hard for others to answer that for you. (or just look at what opinions others have posted on what they like and why).

I'd only suggest sights that have lifetime warranty. While that may make the sight expensive relative to the gun, you'll only need to buy once. It will work, survive the abuse; and if not it will get fixed.

For competition there is no need to co-witness. Shooting red dot, like Open, you are normally just target focused, with red dot in front of what you are doing. Once you get your index that will be fast, but not a big difference under 10 yards, but defintiely faster 15 yards and further.

If you weren't CA, I'd say just go buy CORE instead and sell your pro, but not so easy here. But no need to jump straight to milling, find your dot first. If you watch any carry optics nationals shooters, you see some of the top guys shooting with dovetail mounted units.

Good Luck!

Edited by trgt

e46be960f8b5a7c3a432ad014532b388.jpg

Venom (3moa) and Burris (8moa)

b0444a99139d7bc4b4e3a236c4b8bf59.jpg

Deltapoint Pro, Deltapoint (gen1), Venom, Burris
(slide tops not aligned/same level, just doing side by side to show relative size/shape of glass)
(Cheely Open gun mount, milled slide, (friend's) milled slide, springer dovetail mount)

Edited by trgt

I've had good luck with my Burris FF3, first one would not change elevation, returned and received new one in about a week.  Been using that one for about a year and a half.  Don't shoot as much as many do but have quite a few rounds fired with it.

Edited by Steve RA
Still attempting to post image as in previous forum.

I looked for hours yesterday trying to find pictures like those. Thanks trgt. I heard the vortex viper sit even  lower to the slide than the venom. Have you seen that one? Which is your favorite? I can get a very lightly used delta point 7.5. Not pro. It looks to sit very low. I am not so shire about the 7.5 triangle. I have heard that it seems to be bigger than most other optics. 

Main thing I think pick something folks generally regard/report as rugged and with good customer support, then just go practice. I had deltapoint just for relative size, a lot of folks really don't like the triangle, I love it. Seem like both the FF3 and Vortex are excellent value for price, you won't go wrong starting with either with dovetail mount solution, and you can always use on something else or sell if after awhile you start to get an idea of what you'd like better than either of those. I have the FF3 on a CZ Kadet pistol (was my first pistol slide mounted red dot, still on there), also a FF3 on my beretta 1301 shotgun. Its nice and light/rugged, only real downside is glass seems a little smaller/narrower than the Vortex.

Edited by trgt

• 11 months later...
  • 5 months later...
On ‎8‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 10:36 PM, jeremy kemlo said:

I have a Smith & Wesson M&p pro. I want to get the slide mild for a mini red dot to shoot carry optics. Any suggestion on where to get the slide milled? Do I have to mil it for a specific site or do any of these places also make adapter plates if I want to switch sites?  I like the durability of the  RMR sites but they are very pricey. If there are not others that will last on the slide mount that may be my only choice. Has anyone had any luck with the Romeo one or the Romeo three? Or any other suggestions. Is there any reason to cowitness? In the long run would learning to shoot the mini red dot without a cowitness be faster?

On 8/6/2017 at 8:33 PM, MemphisMechanic said:

However, nobody with a dedicated gun in CO who is finishing well in the division (aka people who practice hard and often) is running irons. They're just a distraction.

I see this train of thought everywhere on this forum, but having had numerous red dots on guns for years, I've learned that irons are insurance, (dot flicker, dot completely dying, dot breaking, dot flying off the gun (MOS system) have all happened to me or buddies guns in the MIDDLE of stages). it's not a matter of if it'll happen, its when. so, why not have them there to switch over to when crap happens... yes, irons are a slight distraction, but only slightly, their pros outweigh their cons every day of the week. you don't always get to switch to your backup gun and re-run the stage.

I have a M&P Core Pro (already milled by S&W). I have had RMR07 and Vortex Viper mounted on it with plates that came from S&W. RMR frame was like looking thru a knot hole so I went to Viper (I installed Dawson iron front sight to co witness). The Venom is .1" thicker at the base and doesn't co witness without extremely tall irons.

Jeremy

Living in probably the same state as you I’ve resorted to shopping slides online. Currently on gunbroker
https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/741735977
Drop in an unported barrel and you’re set.
I like the Deltapoint 7.5 (not Pro) and removed the irons to speed the learning curve.
I’m putting them back on after losing the dot (battery died) on a last stage.

Larry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...
On 1/25/2018 at 7:56 AM, ParaOrdnanceLarry said:

Jeremy

Living in probably the same state as you I’ve resorted to shopping slides online. Currently on gunbroker
https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/741735977
Drop in an unported barrel and you’re set.
I like the Deltapoint 7.5 (not Pro) and removed the irons to speed the learning curve.
I’m putting them back on after losing the dot (battery died) on a last stage.

Larry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buy a CORE slide, sell the barrel (I got $100.00 for one), and sell your non-CORE slide.

Now you have a CO gun and in short order, it can be a Production gun and you probably made money, or at the very least aren't out much after selling the ported barrel and your old slide.

• 1 year later...
On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 8:26 AM, PrimaryBruce said:

Send it to us whenever you're ready. We'll get it back to you in a week. :)

Question, I have a M&P Pro Series 9 mm and I'm looking to cut the slide for a Burris Fastfire 3.  My question is, I see a small set screw for the ejector in the area where I want to cut.  Is there a work around for that?  Can the screw be set lower?  Or is my best option to set the optic back closer to the rear cutting out the original rear sight?

Thank you,

17 hours ago, Vinnieshoots said:

Question, I have a M&P Pro Series 9 mm and I'm looking to cut the slide for a Burris Fastfire 3.  My question is, I see a small set screw for the ejector in the area where I want to cut.  Is there a work around for that?  Can the screw be set lower?  Or is my best option to set the optic back closer to the rear cutting out the original rear sight?

Thank you,

Not sure I'm following you. There are no set screws anywhere an an M&P slide that I'm aware of. lol

Regardless, the rear dovetail must be milled out on an M&P. An optic will not physically fit in front of the OEM dovetail. The only reason why they can do so on a C.O.R.E. is because they scoot the dovetail all the way to the rear of the slide.