Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why the Apex Hammer?

TheBrick

Since I last posted, I have come up with a drop in kit that starts out at 5-1/2 to 6 lbs. and smoothly goes down to 3-1/2 to 4 before the hammer falls. The rebound spring accounts for 2 lbs of the trigger pull. This is somewhat similar in concept to how a compound bow works. These weights are for Federal primers, the action can be tuned upward for other primers. I can't give out too many specifics right now, but have 2 functional prototypes. I'm trying to see if I can make any further improvements before filing for patents. As far as I can determine, no one else has ever done this. You heard it here first!

Edit - OK - I'm busted! Can't slide anything past some of youse guys! :)You heard it here and on the S&W forum first.

Edited by Toolguy

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
On 4/26/2017 at 2:18 PM, Toolguy said:

Since I last posted, I have come up with a drop in kit that starts out at 5-1/2 to 6 lbs. and smoothly goes down to 3-1/2 to 4 before the hammer falls. The rebound spring accounts for 2 lbs of the trigger pull. This is somewhat similar in concept to how a compound bow works. These weights are for Federal primers, the action can be tuned upward for other primers. I can't give out too many specifics right now, but have 2 functional prototypes. I'm trying to see if I can make any further improvements before filing for patents. As far as I can determine, no one else has ever done this. You heard it here first!

Edit - OK - I'm busted! Can't slide anything past some of youse guys! :)You heard it here and on the S&W forum first.

Did you get your concept finished 

Yes. One prototype starts at 5 lb. and goes down to 3 lb. It is a smooth pull all the way through, with a snappy trigger return. Every trigger will be slightly different, because every gun is an individual. The smoothness and lightness that may be achieved also depends on several other mechanical variables that a drop in kit or spring kit can't address. This includes things like extractor rod runout, hand to ratchet fitment, hammer to trigger handoff, cylinder timing, smoothness of sliding surfaces, length of firing pin, cylinder endshake, etc.

I am working on getting financing now, then will file for a provisional patent, then have to work out manufacturing details. That includes things like: Can I come up with a design I can make myself, will it have to be wire EDM, or maybe MIM? Who can I get to do it, and for what price? Do I have them make part of it and finish it myself? These are all questions that have to be answered before there is a marketable product. It will probably be sometime next year before all of this is ironed out. Thanks for your interest.

Ok, we are talking about trigger pull weights that low? Or is that plus more weight for the rebound? 

If this is the case, tell me about return. I'm way more interested we in how fast my trigger will return than how light it is. 

With just the trigger and rebound spring and slide in and the hammer and mainspring out, the trigger pulls about 2 pounds. With everything in, the total pull weight starts at 5 pounds and goes down to 3 pounds. The rebound spring is 2 pounds of the total. These numbers are approximate, but close. I don't know that my trigger pull gage is calibrated to a national standard.

Yes, the pull weight goes down, similar to a compound bow draw weight. That is why this is something new and different than anything done before. There's no point in just making another aftermarket hammer or trigger, there are already high quality ones of those available.

It's a smooth transition, just as the bow is. If you have never pulled a compound bow, you can go to a sporting goods store and try it. Don't release the string, though. Bows don't like to be dry fired.

On 7/2/2017 at 3:24 PM, Toolguy said:

Yes. One prototype starts at 5 lb. and goes down to 3 lb. It is a smooth pull all the way through, with a snappy trigger return. Every trigger will be slightly different, because every gun is an individual. The smoothness and lightness that may be achieved also depends on several other mechanical variables that a drop in kit or spring kit can't address. This includes things like extractor rod runout, hand to ratchet fitment, hammer to trigger handoff, cylinder timing, smoothness of sliding surfaces, length of firing pin, cylinder endshake, etc.

I am working on getting financing now, then will file for a provisional patent, then have to work out manufacturing details. That includes things like: Can I come up with a design I can make myself, will it have to be wire EDM, or maybe MIM? Who can I get to do it, and for what price? Do I have them make part of it and finish it myself? These are all questions that have to be answered before there is a marketable product. It will probably be sometime next year before all of this is ironed out. Thanks for your interest.

Warren, 

Put me down on the waiting list. I will need K, L, and N frame variants!

You're on! The new K and L is the same hammer. The new N and X is the same hammer. The old K,L & N are all different. Triggers are all the same. It would take 5 different hammers to cover all the bases.

I will probably start with the new (firing pin in frame) K & L. If there is enough interest I'll add new N frame. See how it goes from there.

You're on! The new K and L is the same hammer. The new N and X is the same hammer. The old K,L & N are all different. Triggers are all the same. It would take 5 different hammers to cover all the bases.

I will probably start with the new (firing pin in frame) K & L. If there is enough interest I'll add new N frame. See how it goes from there.

The medium K and L frame revos are the ones I don't have a use for. I carry a J and compete with N frames.

12 hours ago, Toolguy said:

I have all old K's, but I'd definitely be interested in a new N. I'd think you'd get the most interest from competitors if you went with the new-style N, as well (all of ICORE Limited and Open, most USPSA revo's).

Might get more interest with an N frame. Between the 625 for 6 shots and 627/9 for 8,I can't imagine there being to much more variety for most competitors.

This coming from a guy using a GP100.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

K and L framed revolvers are still viable in IDPA.  A 625 with moon clips has fast reloads but has to make a 155 power factor.  A K or L frame wit speed loaders can still have a pretty quick reload, if all goes well, and they only have to make a 105 power factor.