Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Preparation routine before Stand By

hyasuma

What is everyone's preparation routine before they run the stages? Do you look at your mags to see if they are to your division capacity, getting ready in position, thinking about the stage and air gunning while closing your eyes? At least right now I take my time before I actually start to shoot, it calms the mind and makes your execution of the stages better. 

"Take your time, no need to rush, plan well and execute"

This has come up twice in the past year ...

I make sure mags are fully loaded and on my belt, in the proper

position, when the shooter before me is called up.

As he's shooting, I'm going over my plan ...

When he' s "shown clear", I walk the COF as man times as

I can before they finish pasting.

When I get up to the line, after I'm told to make ready, I

put my earmuffs on, make sure they're turned on, adjust my glasses,

slowly draw my pistol, turn on the dot, check the brightness,

load the pistol slowly making sure a round goes into the chamber,

put the safety on

and place the mag in my pocket - pull out a fully loaded mag

and make sure it's fully seated.

Place the gun, slowly and deliberately, into the holster and

slowly take my hand away  -  make sure the gun doesn't

fall to the ground.    Review my plan

and NOD.

When I am announced in-the-hole:

-I go put on my ear muffs and turn them on

-I check my first mag to make sure I've got 11 (if loaded start)

-Close my eyes and visualize my plan

When I'm on-deck:

-I stand a few feet behind the starting box and step forward toward the box once the shooter et al have moved forward shooting the stage

-I turn off my muffs for the quietest environment

-I will physically practice a turn-and-draw or a step-into-box, but at this point I only visualize my run, not actually do the run

-Stand still and silently in spot for make-ready

At Make-Ready:

-Draw gun at speed from starting hand position (just facing downrange even if start is uprange)

-Take first sight picture

-Relaxed position, weak hand pull out first mag, load mag

-Charge a round, yank on mag twice

-Take first sight picture

-Holster, assume starting position

-When Are-You-Ready is called, I do NOT respond

At start signal:

-If I have any conscious thoughts at all, they are usually a detriment.  For me, a successful stage is one in which I see my sights in the alpha and don't actually think about anything.

• 2 weeks later...
  1. Deep hole - hydrate and top mag off, mental prep and check Cmore lens is clear - tape
  2. In the Hole - put mags on belt take cover off Gun - mental prep again
  3. On Deck - Prep hands as needed - walk stage last time more mental prep
  4. Make ready one more mental run ...grip'em and ripp'em ?

• 2 months later...

I wish I was consistent at this discipline.

When I am in the hole I usually stretch out my back and shoulder - I am old and worn.  Then I check my mags by grabbing like I would during and make sure they are facing right and pull smoothly. 

When I am on deck I usually watch the shooter and see how he runs....I have learned to NOT change my plan here....just watch for pitfalls.  Then walk the course when it is clear then go wait by the start for the RO.

When told I will pull my gun and get a sight picture on the first target, lock it in my mind, load the mag...or whatever the instructions are for the stage.

Then check my stance, lock eyes on target number one and wait for the beep.

Yee Haw

1. Deep hole - I'm running the timer
  2. In the Hole - most likely still running the timer (it me and one other RO on the squad if I'm lucky
  3. On Deck - If I'm not running the timer check mags and walk my run as scoring is being done
  4. Make ready - pull first mag with 9 in it SS and pull gun put in mag run the slide check that mag now has 8 safety on and holster wait for beep

Typical Club match:

1. In the hole-Hand timer to the other RO on the squad or person who can run timer.

2. On deck- Make sure I have mags on belt. I always reload mags immediately after shooting stage. Walk stage and think about plan one time during reset. That is what the walk through time was for. Do not change the plan based on how others have shot it. That causes confusion and can end up with a disaster. :(

3. Make ready- Draw gun, load with barney mag no matter what division I'm shooting- Barney mag kept in left rear pocket. Apply safety if any and holster. Adjust muffs and glasses to make sure they are ready, assume the proper start position.

4. Beep- Draw, front sight -squeeze, repeat and hope for the best. Most likely the plan already is going to sh*t.

5. Reload mags after reviewing my targets. Take time to grab a quick swallow of coffee/water.

6. Get timer back and run rest of shooters on squad or move to next stage.

If you look at the above, you understand why when I am shooting a match I am not running shooters I spend all squad taping/resetting steel. I have a very low tolerance for boredom. It is hard for me to just sit and relax. This is the way I control the buzz. 

Jay

• 7 months later...

I do it the same way regardless of if it is a 48 round field stage or a 6 round classifier.

Prior to make ready: Run the stage a couple times (physically and mentally) while they are resetting. Put on muffs as I am walking into the box, generally I have already turned on the dot at this point. 

Make Ready: draw to first target, cock gun and reholster. Practice draw from whatever the start is (uprange, hands on marks, seated). Take 3rd mag from belt, charge pistol, return that mag to belt. Full mag from pocket, in gun, pull on it once to make sure it is locked in. Reholster, turn on camera. Run through stage one last time, visualizing as much as possible. Take a last big breath, assume start position. 

Some people will make fun of you if you take a long time to make ready. Ignore those people. I take about 30-60 seconds per stage, and it doesn't make a bit of difference in how fast we are going to get done with the day. 

5 hours ago, Gooldylocks said:

I do it the same way regardless of if it is a 48 round field stage or a 6 round classifier.

i think this is a key to success. treat every stage the same. prepare all the way. then just do it.

I don't think it matters much what your routine is as long as it works to get you into the zone you need to be in to execute subconsciously, and as long as you show up with all your mags fully loaded.

My new method as of my last match:

When on deck, after the shooter is finished, walk the stage one last time to make sure the plan is totally clear in my mind and refresh my memory of what each array looks like. 

Mentally run run through the stage in slow motion until "Make ready" is called. 

When make ready is called, run through the plan in my head one more time.

Draw at speed and dryfire the first target, or array if possible. If it's a classifier or other stand and shoot, dry fire the entire first string. 

Load 1 round from Barney mag in my pocket. Engage thumb safety.  Remove Barney mag and stow it in pocket, then load full mag from pocket. Return gun to holster, looking the gun into the holster. Keep my hand on the gun. 

Focus us on the first target. Mentally rehearse the first few pieces of the plan. Take a deep breath. Assume all of the start position except my right hand. Take another deep breath. Remove hand from gun and assume start position. Ignore "Are you ready?" Wait for "Standby... beep". 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/26/2017 at 2:32 PM, Gooldylocks said:

Me too except in the Classifier Ill pop one round out of each mag on my belt .....just in case, whether I need a mag swap for the stage or not.

Nothing worse than having one not catch during an important short stage.

• 3 weeks later...

In hole, hand timer to another ro, check mags to be sure fully loaded or seat 1 more in big stick if round count calls for it, put on liquid grip and use sweat rag to dry face and forehead ( FL in the summer). On deck , as shooter moves forward step into shooting position and walk plan one more time. at make ready, draw gun, turn on dot while taking sight picture, load Barney round,  cant pistol while engaging safety ( as an ro I like the ro to see me do it, sometimes hard to see especially if it's not ambi safety), load big stick if needed, assume start position and wait for buzzer

On 6/26/2017 at 8:16 PM, motosapiens said:

i think this is a key to success. treat every stage the same. prepare all the way. then just do it.

I don't think it matters much what your routine is as long as it works to get you into the zone you need to be in to execute subconsciously, and as long as you show up with all your mags fully loaded.

Boom. This right here. Ever watch a MLB player step into the batter's box or a PGA player address a ball? Each player will have their own individual routine that is unique to themselves, but the key thing is that each individual will go through their routine the same way. Every. Single. Time. Routines should be designed to get oneself into a relaxed but competitive zone, where everything that you are about to accomplish is just another day at the range.

As the shooter before me is being scored:

- mentally review stage plan, including reload spots

- depending upon the stage's starting area, simulate the start (turn, fake draw, stand from a sitting position, etc.)

- check magazines and seating in pouches

- put in a piece of gum if not already chewing one (just superstitious I guess?)

After range is clear, but before make ready:

- breathe

- final adjustment of belt, pouches, cap, glasses, etc.

- stand near shooting area, but not IN shooting area (just a mental check for me)

- keep ears off (I plug and wear muffs...plugs are in, but muffs are off)

At make ready:

- put ears on

- step into starting area

- make gun ready per WSB (hot/holster, on table, whatever the WSB says)

- deep breath

- one last visualization of the stage, particularly the start

At Standby:

- breathe

- think SAFETY

At beep:

- execute SAFELY

This is a good idea and something I need to improve in my own game.  Twice this year I have RO'd guys who started the stage with no mags on their belt.  They were carrying the one they needed to MR and nothing on the belt.  I probably would have said something had I noticed as they were walking to the start position before MR but I'm clearing the range and watching the right side of their body and the gun.  In both cases it was the end of the day of a club match, it was a%% hot and everyone's tired and mentally fuzzy.  With a routine like you guys have laid out it wouldn't have happened. 

Great stuff.

I find (for myself) my preparation routine is based on things I have messed up in prior matches to make sure I never do that again.

I think Hitman said something about checking all his mags on his belt to ensure they were fully loaded. Been there done that.

Whatever routine you adopt IMHO the best thing is to NOT DEVIATE from it unless theres a good reason to.

Usually nerves are acting up a little especially for those of us who don;t get to hit the range as much as we'd like to so a solid routine is a big help.

Nothing worse than having your belt with 2 of your mags being semi loaded AFTER you've started the stage.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't think I had quite a routine but as I think about it now I have started doing the same sort of things each time I get ready.

As previous stage ends, grab all mags and hold them in hand.

Walk over to cart and place all mags on range bag

Strip all rounds from any mags on the bag

Wipe with rag as necessary

Reload to 10 on all mags except the one without the skate tape on the basepad (my make ready mag I have designated as my 11 round mag)

Add one bullet to the make ready mag and then add a full row from my dillon box so I know I am never above 11.

Immediately place all mags back into my belt for the next stage.

Start of next stage...

Walk the stage as much as I can while scoring is being done and stay in the course until the very last minute.

Let the RO call me as up next before I step into the make ready position.

adjust hat and muffs as necessary to get the feel just right.

draw from holster as I normally would and take sight picture, trying to mentally run through the stage with my 10-15 shots including reload.

Pull out my make ready mag and load gun, roll finger up the hammer to make ready and reholster.

Close my eyes, take deep breath

Open eyes when asked if I am ready, nod yes, then stare at first position taget waiting for beep.

The only 2 things I would like to change as I get more experience is try to visualize the entire course during my make ready and take the time to clean mags before reloading.

At the beginning of the match I load my mags as soon as I get to my starting bay.  After I shoot my first stage, I take all mags that were with me off my belt and any that I used and load them back up.  Then they either go into a pocket on my gun buggy or on my belt, depending how long between stages.  I jumped in and started pasting and resetting right after I shoot too many times, and ended up scrambling when there's 1 or 2 shooters in front of me.  So I make sure all my gear is ready before I start pasting.  Now on the next stage, I can paste and reset as I do my walkthrough and I don't have to have a second thought about my mags or gear.  When I'm in the hole, I'll stop pasting/resetting and just visualize my plan and do a couple walkthroughs at a moderate speed. When I'm  On deck I'm making sure I know exactly where I'm going to be shooting from and what targets from each position. Then, it's GO TIME! 

Most guys doing this are creatures of habit more so than they think. We all have our routines, habits and even superstitions. After playing golf for 25 years and studying the mental game aspects of it, you would be surprised the similarities between both sports mental sides. A good routine, as everyone above has elaborated on, starts well before the make ready command. 

I consider mag reloading and things of this nature to be task that are not part of my routine. If they're in the mag holders in my bag, they've been loaded. If lying on top still need loading. I have double redundancy loaded anyway. I consider " routine " to refer to the series of events and actions that immediately prep me for competition. By prep I mean I turning off conscious action and letting the subconscious take over. Autopilot if you will. 

I generally start when the shooter before me is moving to the starting area and everyone is returning from resetting the stage. I put mags on my belt and turn away from the stage. While he is in MR, I simply take several deep breaths and clear my mind. Relax. Get rid of tension and think about nothing. This is not the time for me to be thinking about stage plan, I've already developed one. I just want to relax and let my subconscious execute that plan. 

On my turn to the line, I just slowly walk up. Not wasting time, just staying relaxed, breathing slow and deep. Then after MR command, optic on, check brightness, then ( assuming WSB allows ) Barney round and full primary mag, safety on, and securely holster. Feet in proper position, then "trigger". By "trigger" I mean the mental trigger you pull to go from preparation to execution. This is a physical action that simply serves as a switch telling your mind " it's time to work"! 

For me, I will move my weak hand into position and rest my strong hand gently on the grip. A 1-2 second pause, deep breath and as I exhale strong hand goes to side or surrender. Then git it!! Most of the guys who posted above have some sort of trigger. 

HP Jack gives a nod to the RO

laz takes a deep breath

CTD remembers to breathe

Goldy takes a deep breath 

moto stresses consistency

Great post from everyone above. Definitely a lot of trends here. My little voodoo is just what works for me. My point is, IMHO there is a point where you go from prep to work. 

• 1 month later...
On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 5:27 PM, Hi-Power Jack said:

I make sure mags are fully loaded and on my belt, in the proper

position

In addition to the great sequence from Hi-Power, understanding the round count before my first reload is important to me. For example, if I have 8-10 shots and then a great place to reload, I make sure my short stick is loaded in my gun with my big stick in the proper place for the first reload. This has really helped my transition better. Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...