Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Installed a Mr. BulletFeeder, but...

I have not had the time to work on my reloading at all. Now that I will be off for XMas, I "should" have plenty of time to work on it.

Please correct me if I am wrong...If I recall correctly, there is no way to adjust the swager holdback die to add more bell, right?

The reason I ask is because I use coated bullets and I had to adjust the MBF funnel to add a little more bell for them to sit properly. I am not sure if the swager die will add enough bell, but I am a newbie and I am already sick of the tugging with the MBF. I could also try just raising the MBF funnel for no case bell and see if the tugging is removed.

I just wonder how everybody else does with it as in my case that tugging is excessive and it just ruins any rhythm by constantly stopping.

Edited by LowBoost

Are you getting any one shot into the case mouth? I've not had much sticking w/ the MBF on a 650, different beast though.  

You should be able to adjust the flare at station 3 and run the stock funnel in the powder measure.

Mr.Taylor nice to see your are doing well! :D

I have indeed tried with different amounts of OneShot, although being careful not getting too much into the case mouth. It sticks bad!

I will adjust the upper section of the swaging station to add more flare and use the stock funnel. Tomorrow will be a fun day at home. Bought a few more "tools". Just wait until you can take a look. 

Edited by LowBoost

3 hours ago, LowBoost said:

Mr.Taylor nice to see your are doing well! :D

I have indeed tried with different amounts of OneShot, although being careful not getting too much into the case mouth. It sticks bad!

I will adjust the upper section of the swaging station to add more flare and use the stock funnel. Tomorrow will be a fun day at home. Bought a few more "tools". Just wait until you can take a look. 

I too had the tugging with the MBF funnel on the 1050 (45acp.  Will be setting up 9mm most likely this weekend on the 1050/MBF as well.).  The swaging station has limited ability to flair a case - it's purpose is primarily to expand the case and add a slight flair as desired.  On the 1050, I use the expanding die as designed/shown in the Dillon manual and swapped back to the Dillon powder funnel as it is able to give just enough of a slight bell that the tamping down action of the buller feeder sets the bullet snugly.  I use coated, plated, and jacketed this way without issue in 45acp.  I also use One Shot, but do not get excessive with it.  Just a quick spritz or three and shake and roll the brass, let sit for a few minutes then dump in the CF.

On the plus side, you will love the MBF.  I'm not super thrilled with the mounting, but I understand why DA did it that way - maximum compatibility.  But for my 1050 it puts the hopper basically directly behind the CF, which makes it tricky to add bullets, and allows the spring to rub a bit on the PM.  Still works fine though.  I'd be happy with a separate solid mount to the bench ala the GSI, but most people wouldn't want that I suspect so the CF mount makes sense from a manf. perspective.

Also, if you don't have a RF-100 primer filler, I predict you will soon :).

Edited by 78Staff

@78Staff:

I do have the MBF already installed and I like it very much. I was also not fond of the location of the hopper, but I don't find it difficult to add bullets. I just can't deal with the tugging and slowing me down since I need to completely stop the process. Seems it has progressively gotten worst. 

Hahaha - I have strongly been considering the RF-100!

36 minutes ago, LowBoost said:

@78Staff:

I do have the MBF already installed and I like it very much. I was also not fond of the location of the hopper, but I don't find it difficult to add bullets. I just can't deal with the tugging and slowing me down since I need to completely stop the process. Seems it has progressively gotten worst. 

Hahaha - I have strongly been considering the RF-100!

I'd suggest trying the stock dillon powder funnel if you have it - seems the MBF funnel isn't really necessary on the 1050.

Re the RF-100, I have 1 and am seriously considering adding another and keeping one setup for SP one for LP.  They are a bit fiddly to get adjusted correctly but once it's set it runs like a top pretty much.

I'd suggest trying the stock dillon powder funnel if you have it - seems the MBF funnel isn't really necessary on the 1050.

Re the RF-100, I have 1 and am seriously considering adding another and keeping one setup for SP one for LP.  They are a bit fiddly to get adjusted correctly but once it's set it runs like a top pretty much.

http://shotcore.it/reloading-press-accessories/

I'm sure this bulletfeeder is overkill, but I'd love to have that primer filler! I wonder what's the price for one of those...

I did some tweaking and added a few things to my workbench tonight. I pulled the stock Dillon funnel out of one of my waterproof boxes and found out it has rusted!

Any suggestions on how to clean it and remove the rust before I drop it in?

FullSizeRender.jpg

Do you guys think that Dillon's swage backup rod + OEM powder funnel will be enough for .356 plated bullets. I'm afraid the expansion is not enough and I'll have to use either the Mr. Bulletfeeder powder funnel or the OEM one with the Redding Expander in station 2.

What do you guys think?

25 minutes ago, LowBoost said:

I did some tweaking and added a few things to my workbench tonight. I pulled the stock Dillon funnel out of one of my waterproof boxes and found out it has rusted!

Any suggestions on how to clean it and remove the rust before I drop it in?

FullSizeRender.jpg

Can you use a wire brush and lightly brush it all off, then polish it a bit with a dremel? Should be fine.

9 hours ago, NicoR said:

Do you guys think that Dillon's swage backup rod + OEM powder funnel will be enough for .356 plated bullets. I'm afraid the expansion is not enough and I'll have to use either the Mr. Bulletfeeder powder funnel or the OEM one with the Redding Expander in station 2.

What do you guys think?

It might be OK without the Mr bullet feeder insert. Try it and see. I didn't need to use the bullet feeder expander 

16 hours ago, NicoR said:

What do you guys think?

Thanks Carlspeed for the tip. It doesn't look great aesthetically, but rust was indeed removed and surface is smooth. 

I just removed my MBF's funnel and went back to stock funnel. It works great. In fact, I had to dial out the funnel as it had too much flare! No more tugging. :D

I somehow introduced or aggravated a "jam" issue though. I looked everywhere and mechanically traced it to this area. Any ideas/suggestions? It doesn't happen all the time though, and if I manually raise that "lever" with the spring in the back, obviously it falls back in place.

FullSizeRender.jpg

Edited by LowBoost

8 hours ago, LowBoost said:

Thanks Carlspeed for the tip. It doesn't look great aesthetically, but rust was indeed removed and surface is smooth. 

I just removed my MBF's funnel and went back to stock funnel. It works great. In fact, I had to dial out the funnel as it had too much flare! No more tugging. :D

I somehow introduced or aggravated a "jam" issue though. I looked everywhere and mechanically traced it to this area. Any ideas/suggestions? It doesn't happen all the time though, and if I manually raise that "lever" with the spring in the back, obviously it falls back in place.

FullSizeRender.jpg

That;s there to ensure you fully cycle the press - ie it will catch if you short stroke, first thing make sure you are fully cycling the press..  Some will take it off completely, however it is a safety feature.  There's a thread  on Dillon's site re adjusting it correctly...

https://www.dillonprecision.com/nothing-but-trouble-with-the-ratching-arm_350_12_1442.htm

Yeah, I kick myself for waiting so long to get one... I mean let's face it - a 1050 is a pretty sizable purchase, no matter who you are, more so once you start adding full caliber conversions.  You can literally buy a nice Dillon 550B setup for what a full 1050 caliber conversion costs :(.  

I have 45acp and 9mm conversions currently, with MBF kits for both, plus one for 223 - putting together the pieces to start prepping and loading 223 as well. Will be picking up a short trim toolhead, although I don't do 300BO or 6.8 now, but might in the future.  Figured go ahead and pick one up now since I need a 223 toolhead anyway and Dillon says you can run normal 223 dies/trim on it as well.  That way won't need to buy another toolhead down the road if I do start loading 300BO

I'm getting ready to switch the 1050 over to SP and 9mm and plan to run off about 2-3K rounds, which should hold me a while for 9mm.  I find I shoot much more 45 and even 10mm now, oddly enough.  Had been doing 10mm on the 550 since didn't think I would load as much, but find I am shoot the heck out of it so may go ahead and get 1050 conversion for it as well.  Which means another MBF Conversion kit too lol.  Then the 550 will be relegated to revolver calibers I don't shoot as much volume of...

Edited by 78Staff

I completely understand! I though about getting some caliber conversions, but I really don't want to go through the hassle of changing things up every now and then. I almost bought another 1050 + MBF for 5.56/7.62/6/5 Creedmoor but realized I can do away with a single station press (Hence why I bought the Forster) for the amount of shooting / precision I do for those calibers (and anything else I would like to).

Who knows, maybe I end up with a 5.56 caliber conversion or even another S1050+MBF in the future, though it is not in my plans. I will however get the RF-100 very soon. I need to stock on powders, primers, and bullets first. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Gosh... I must have a horseshoe somewhere...  ..... my MRB worked great on my initial set up on my 650... the motor went out and they sent me a new one.. only problem I have ever had ,,,, I give my Mr Bullet feeder a 10+ ..

Installed my MBF on my 650 last night. Had great response from Rick via Email with my questions. I had the problem of the drop hanging up as well. I moved the entire unit closer to the front of the case feeder and problem solved. The spring must be relaxed to prevent hang up.  Test drive today........but so far I'm very impressed with the product and the service..........why did I wait so long.......a slow study for sure..............

3 hours ago, TANFARM said:

Installed my MBF on my 650 last night. Had great response from Rick via Email with my questions. I had the problem of the drop hanging up as well. I moved the entire unit closer to the front of the case feeder and problem solved. The spring must be relaxed to prevent hang up.  Test drive today........but so far I'm very impressed with the product and the service..........why did I wait so long.......a slow study for sure..............

I had the same problem on initial setup, went to the MBF troubleshooting page and found that the only subject was erratic bullet feeding, after moving the unit farther around the case feeder hopper, problem went away.

• 7 months later...

I am having the problem of extra bullets occasionally dropping. Sometimes when the plate indexes and sometimes it drops multiples at the top of the stroke. 

I'm running a 650 that has lots of slack in the spring (it actually sags a bit), and if I back off the toolhead any then no bullets drop. Bullets are FP 124gr Xtreme.  I'd take any advice you can give. 

11 hours ago, jester121 said:

Scroll down to the bottom, the last post with the photo, rubber band trick fixed it for me. 

I messaged DAA about it last night. Saul responded today and suggested trying to move the balls inside the dropper to the lower position. I did that and it seems to have fixed it. It's working perfectly now.