• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On ‎8‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 3:59 PM, Hi-Power Jack said:

Wow.

0.95 seconds is very good.

Yes, that has to help.

BUT, if you can do that consistenly, on call, then I'd move on to

learn another skill necessary for shooting well.

How are you currently classified?

I so some one shot dills at the start of my training but as I tend to not get a good grip on the gun when I know I'm only shooting one shot I then advance it to two then three and so on making sure that I can maintain my focus.  

• 2 months later...

eh, I agree with the rest of the guys who say draw + 2 would be better practice as you can look at your draw + 1 shot time (on the timer), and also keeps you honest with a good grip for the 2nd follow-up shot. You can get a decent draw+1 time just from indexing on a "not so good" grip, but that second shot will let you know if your grip is rock solid.

There has to be a purpose to the drill. Are you practicing seeing the front sight? Initial grip? Draw? As long as you're working on something the practice is ok. 

When I shot a lot of trap, I'd see people shoot a whole box on a station as "practice". I need to practice the straight aways, or hard left's or hard rights. Strangely enough, by shell #17 or so, they'd start hitting them with authority and they'll think their "practice" was paying off. What they were actually doing was just developing a rhythm at that one station. Unfortunately, they weren't practicing what happens in a round of trap. Once they moved to another station their rhythm got thrown off and they were back to where they started. 

Point is, if you practice draw, 1 shot, holster. draw, 1 shot, holster,  you're training yourself to draw and fire only 1 shot - which is not what you do during a match. 

how many match stages do u shoot that require u to draw and shoot one round ? Sure timer will record that first shot, but probably alot more effeciant to draw shoot and do some kinda drill of a few rounds.
I had a triangle drill in my yard. 
Three static steels.
At 15 yards a box with an old ladder in front acting like a bianchi barricade.
5 yards and to the left a box,,,   5 yards and to the right a box.
At buzzer draw lean around barricade ding ding ding. Charge forward right or left, ding ding ding. then charge sideways while reloading ding ding ding.
This is a realy good drill,  you practice draws, shooting around a wall, transitions,  movement,  planting, reloads while moving. ETC.. Id set my timer on par time and make it go faster and aster.
In a typical USPSA stage
You draw once.   you transistion about 12-16 times.
Setting for the shot , transitions, and second shots will save u more time than a lightning draw. 
Think about it,,  Smoking hot grand maste rextroidinare is hitting first shot in what ? about .85 ? Smuckatelly Bob like me can do 1.20 all day long.. I can push it on a close target and hit about .95..   So what I can gain a tenth on a 20 second stage ?
Movement, planting , transitions, reloads, double taps will pic you up way more time.
Biggest time saver is the movement into a position, plant and shoot.

• 5 weeks later...

Agree with Joe4d you will only perform one draw per stage, while it matters I have always felt that transitions are going to be the real factor on most stages.

I will work on draws during the start of my dry fire and before working on reloads but usually don't practice a draw with one round in live fire. I look at live fire practice the same as the match, draw once during the run make it as fast and smooth as I can and take some time after when I am looking at my overall performance to see if that could have been better and how much difference it would make.

On 1/14/2018 at 10:47 PM, Joe4d said:

how many match stages do u shoot that require u to draw and shoot one round ? Sure timer will record that first shot, but probably alot more effeciant to draw shoot and do some kinda drill of a few rounds.

as someone else mentioned earlier, i think it depends on what you are trying to work on. I used to almost always do 2 shots (as I posted above a year or so ago), but I just don't do whole lot of live fire draws-only anymore, and when I do it's a more specific situation, like a draw to 15-20 yard mini-popper followed by movement, or draws while stepping into a box and engaging a partial.

I still work on my draw a couple minutes every day in dry-fire, but since just about every live-fire drill has a draw in it, I can just look at those times to see how I'm doing.

Edited by motosapiens

Like a lot of others have said, a one shot drill is a good way to create a stutter between shot 1 and 2. However, I do start almost every practice with 3-5 draws on a popper or plate rack. Then I move on and every drill usually involves movement during the draw and first 2-4 shots

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since I started shooting carry optics, I've been drilling a draw + 1 shot to work on picking up the dot fast. At 7 yards, I'm sitting at around 1 second to an approximate A zone hit. I'm using this mostly to get the fastest dot acquisition possible.

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely it is useful, just needs to be kept in perspective.  I watch the shooters I consider myself  to be in competition with to see how quickly they get their first accurate shot.  It varies.  I am faster out of the holster than some of them, but they make up for it after the first few shots.

IMHO: Draws don't win matches.  Yep they are cool to do and can be impressive.

In a 10 stage match 30 rounds per stage with say 10 draws and your .5 seconds faster than everyone else-cool.

Everybody else splits and transitions are .05 faster than yours--What's the math?  290 X .05 =?

15 minutes ago, pjb45 said:

IMHO: Draws don't win matches.  Yep they are cool to do and can be impressive.

In a 10 stage match 30 rounds per stage with say 10 draws and your .5 seconds faster than everyone else-cool.

Everybody else splits and transitions are .05 faster than yours--What's the math?  290 X .05 =?

Why choose? It's more than just cool and impressive, it's still faster/more accurate/more consistent. If your goal is to win, every little bit matters. There is also a less acknowledged benefit to feverishly practicing the draw....this is where the quality of your grip is established. It's hard to quantify what this means to your score but I think it's safe to say a poor grip will likely negatively impact your score and a perfect grip will set you up to best execute to the level of your ability.

Everything must be worked on all the time. No skill is nor will ever be good enough to neglect practicing. I get the low hanging fruit argument and that working on some areas will yield more benefit than others, but I don't think that is a valid reason to not work to have a killer world class draw (or insert any shooting skill).

I don't disagree with you Jake.  A solid draw is fundamental.

As a B shooter who has pulled off quite a few <1 sec draws and <2 Bill drills, I found my game improved when I spent more practice time on calling my shots, splits and transitions.  When I started to pay attention to my footwork, I found I was executing some pretty solid matches.

I did/do a fair amount of daily dry on draws and reloads just not as  much live fire.

3 hours ago, pjb45 said:

As a B shooter who has pulled off quite a few <1 sec draws and <2 Bill drills, I found my game improved when I spent more practice time on calling my shots, splits and transitions.  When I started to pay attention to my footwork, I found I was executing some pretty solid matches.

Of course. As a B shooter there are certainly skills to work on which will save you more time than the draw. No doubt about that. I'm saying don't judge the value of training a skill solely based on the available time you can shave off it in a match.

I'm not saying practice the draw at the expense of other skills. By all means, you absolutely always have to work on calling shots, transitions, movement, etc all the time. My point is to do that while also putting work into things often seen as less valuable such as draws, splits, reloads, etc.

This is one of the reasons why I don't think isolation of skills (such as the thread title) is an efficient training methodology after you have learned the basics of that skill. I try to combine multiple skills into all drills I do in a method that resembles what actual match shooting looks like. This has the benefit of forcing you to combine several technical actions into something seamless and as a result allows you to work on the entirety of your game as a unit. The trick is being perceptive enough to notice small faults in your execution in the wide variety of skills you're practicing and to take actionable steps to correct those faults for the whole duration of every practice session.

One of my favorite drills the last few months has been a diagonal draw step to 3 partials following by a single lateral step reload to 3 more partials. There's a lot to pay attention to, but you're learning to integrate everything together. As such I don't worry about spending more time on one skill or another as most skills get equal reps daily. If there's a particular area I'm trying to improve, I'll still do several other skills like the draw and reload along with the focus skill but I'll find a way through drill design or emphasis to accentuate the stress onto the predetermined focus area. 

I am on the same page Jake.

I find that TGO's Action Target 3 second par time drill amazingly instructive.  Draw, sight picture coupled with diagnostics on error  with a par time to be awesome. It pushes the limits/comfort zone for me.

Having shot with MIke V many times, I was always impressed with how he move into and out of a "box/port, etc".  Another practice drill for me.

• 5 months later...

For Steel Challenge, 1 shot drills are important.  For all the reasons Jake outlined. I'm just an A level at SC, and when i can get 5 solid draws with the grip perfect, the stage is good.  A "funky" grab and ... pffft!  not a great result. 

I also use them a lot in DF to perfect the index with the CO dot.   Not sure why, but if I don't keep on it,  the index wanders.  LOL,  Ok, i know why.  It's a perishable skill.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/11/2016 at 7:29 PM, PatJones said:

A second shot helps keep you honest with your grip and trigger pull.

This is so true!! That first shot can be instinctive and not set you up for an accurate second shot if that’s all you practice.