Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is a draw and one shot drill helpful for competition

koideath

Just wanted to get peoples opinion on if you work on your draw and one shot drill. I from time to time do it mainly because it is fun but I don't think I get much out of it other than a fast draw and that is something I can do without ammunition.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Draws get practiced extensively in just about any drill you do since we normally start from the holster. I personally wouldn't spend the ammo or time on 1 shot draw drills in live fire except perhaps if I were actively training for steel challenge competition since the draw is about 40% of your score in that discipline.

Wow.

0.95 seconds is very good.

Yes, that has to help.

BUT, if you can do that consistenly, on call, then I'd move on to

learn another skill necessary for shooting well.

How are you currently classified?

Currently B in USPSA and Master in IDPA

Many very good points have already been made here. Personally, I NEVER do a live fire drill of draw and 1 shot. I occasionally do 2 shots (either on the same target, or on two separate steel targets).

If you are hitting non-trivial targets in under a second already, I would stop worrying about the draw and worry about how fast i could shoot the same target starting 3 yards from the shooting area and moving into it and hitting it twice.

I do a lot of 1 shot draws, I think that it is useful for checking if your grip is consistent, and making sure that you are pushing hard on the draws. I like doing 1 shot draws to a 20 yard plate rack, it is both an accuracy test and speed.

1 hour ago, Gooldylocks said:

I do a lot of 1 shot draws, I think that it is useful for checking if your grip is consistent, and making sure that you are pushing hard on the draws. I like doing 1 shot draws to a 20 yard plate rack, it is both an accuracy test and speed.

there is no doubt you are accurate and fast, but I still prefer to do at least 2 shots to make sure everything is right and I'm ready to make the next shot.

I am discovering that if I rush the 1st shot of a steel array, i am less consistent, even if i get the hit. If i take that smidgen extra focus to get a good sight picture for the first shot, my transitions to the 2nd, 3rd, etc... are faster and more consistent.

I probably have more of a tendency than you to rush that first shot and screw up the following ones.

Edited by motosapiens

25 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

I probably have more of a tendency than you to rush that first shot and screw up the following ones.

Haha I don't think that is probably true, if I have misses on steel arrays it is almost always the second shot. I was shooting plate racks the other day in practice and missed the second plate like 4 times in a row, 1 for 1 on everything else. And it is probably not the best drill, probably drawing and shooting 2 plates like you are saying would be better, to make sure your grip is good and everything. But you have to reset less often if you do it the other way hahaha

On 8/11/2016 at 5:59 PM, Hi-Power Jack said:

Wow.

0.95 seconds is very good.

Yes, that has to help.

BUT, if you can do that consistenly, on call, then I'd move on to

learn another skill necessary for shooting well.

How are you currently classified?

^^  

Bill Drill @ 7yds (good grip and fast trigger finger)

Bill Drill @ 15/25yds (good grip, sight focus)

4 Aces (fast draw, fast reload)

Hopkins Drill (target transitions)

There are tons of awesome drills out there, and to Jake's point...a draw is used in most of them.  

• 3 months later...

I love doing a 1 shot draw to plate drill.  I think it builds your confidence as you start shooting so much that it becomes effortless and subconscious.

You start paying attention to how much you are squeezing with each hand and the difference in recoil control associated with litttle changes in your grip, stance etc.

28 minutes ago, glockman75 said:

I love doing a 1 shot draw to plate drill.

That's great, but take a peek above at Motosapiens

response ...   Easy to draw and fire quickly, but you

need to make sure your grip is proper, or your

2nd shot will take more time or miss altogether.

Two shots, minimum ...  :) 

• 1 month later...
On 8/24/2016 at 11:08 AM, Gooldylocks said:

This is the only practice I have done with my new Tanfo Stock 2. I feel like it has helped quite a bit with the mental aspect of shooting a DA/SA for the first time. The level of effectiveness of any drill is not going to be even across the board person to person.

• 1 month later...

I may have missed it as I skimmed over the other replies but did anyone mention that having a fast, consistent presentation to target can provide confidence that carries the rest of the way through the stage? I feel that it can. Helps you get started off on the right foot. I practice it dry often and live fire when I remember. 

I would say this is an important drill to work, not because saving .05 seconds on your draw will win a match (though it might), but consistent presentation, and most important, SOLID and consistent grip on the gun is extremely important. The draw is your typically the first and only time to get it right.

• 1 month later...

Today I practiced draw to one shot drills 10 yards on 8" plates: freestyle, strong hand and draw and transfer to weak hand.
.99 Freestyle, 1.12 stronghand, 1.45 draw and transfer to weak hand. 50/50 hit or miss. I shot these as drills today. We'll see how long it takes to get more consistent. These are roughly average times some were better or worse. I was in speed mode trying to economize motion and get the sights up as fast as possible. It was fun! Single Stack .40

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk