Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How many of your hits are alphas

Mikeski

Ok so being as I am a data nerd at work I figured I'd have some fun and do some data collection of my match shooting this year. As I am developing this tracker with excel,access, and tableau, I have noticed that I am hitting about 59% of my hits are Alphas. Has anyone else done something similar to what I am doing? If so how far did you break down the data?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Far enough to know 59% ain't enough. :)

I would back off just a tad and get more alphas if I came up with that number.

If you like messing with data do some hypotheticals and figure some of the same stage scores and add a second or two plus swap out 5 C/D's for alphas

Yeah I know that one of my issues is I go too fast. I have been working on this and am seeing results. As some one who is still new to the sport, less than 2 years, and has only been doing one match a month, I am ok with this as a bench mark. Now that I am able to get to more matches I can really work on slowing down and getting my hits.

At the MI state match this past weekend I shot 75% alphas in a fairly sloppy performance. That wouldn't have been so bad if there wasn't 10 deltas and a perfed no shoot in there as well.

75% alphas with no deltas or penalties will probably result in a good performance. It obviously depends on the difficulty of the match and your division/pf.

Edited by Jake Di Vita

You need a decent amount of points to get something to divide by (after all this is a HF game - points/time). However at the end of the day what matters is HF, whatever works for you as the path to the highest HF is what you need to do.

but going back to point 1, you need a decent amount of points to have something to divide by unless you are some kind of speed machine. The faster you are the more C's (and god help me even D's) you can afford to hit. I think most better shooters manage a balance between speed and accuracy that ends up something like 80% A's.

about 59% of my hits are Alphas.

Are you shooting Ltd Major? or Prod Minor?

What's your rating? (A, B, C?)

Right Now I am a D shooter in both Limited (Major) and Production. That is a combined total for the year.

If you are not shooting 90% - 95% of the available points then you are not shooting enough alphas. Shooting 59% alphas is pretty bad. You need points to divide by your stage time. With a 59% alphas shot average I bet you are "Blasting at Brown" instead of picking a specific point on the target (A-zone) to aim at. Blasting at brown really fast can give you a decent stage time, but your hit factor will always suffer.

If you are wondering what your alpha shooting percentage should be, all you need to do is run the numbers on the top 3 - 5 shooters overall within your division at Area and National level matches. This data can easily be mined off of the USPSA website.

my 7th uspsa match last Saturday. A98 / B3 / C12 / D2 / M3 / NS4 first shooter, first stage. all of my "ns" and " m came from the first 8 shots of the match. 3 targets covered by NS with head and low strip @20yrds. Shot 2 stages completely clean. 49% for my division ( limited major ) I am old and slow. I am becoming completely comfortable with my accuracy, going to start "pushing" the speed. I love this sport. any input is GREATLY appreciated.

I'm missing something....let me see.

1k point match at 59% A's (I'll assume the rest are C's)

1000 points / 5 points per shot = 200 shots

59% A's = 118 A's and 590 points

41% C's = 82 C's and 328 points (Major)

590 + 328 = 918 points out of 1000.

91.8% of the points. Did I do that right? Am I missing something?

If that's right, and this guy is D class and shooting 92% of the points I doubt slowing down to get his hits is going to help.

Assuming a D class shooter shot no deltas or penalties is probably unwise. If he was shooting minor that picture also changes substantially. "Slowing down to get hits" is never good advice in my opinion.

If he was shooting major and did shoot no deltas or penalties, then 91.8% is still a little low depending on the difficulty of the match.

Edited by Jake Di Vita

Assuming a D class shooter shot no deltas or penalties is probably unwise. If he was shooting minor that picture also changes substantially.

Betcha he got some D's, M's and NS's in there as well .

Going from D to C isn't that tough - if you can shoot 59% A's, real fast, I'd guess slowing down a little

(calling the shots) will probably get him to C, anyway.

He's most likely shooting before he gets the sights on the A zone - needs to slow down and see the sights

on the A zone before he launches those projectiles :)

Percentage does not really mean much without the time.  I recently shot a match where I shot 32 A on all targets for 2 stages but I got crushed on TIME by guys hitting A/C.  I was shooting Minor so I needed the points.  Since switched to shooting Major.  Turned up the speed and shot less Alphas but hit factor improved considerably.  I did Zero the Qualifier last week seeing how fast I could go.  Pretty fast if I want 6 Mikes!

% Alphas

83% Minor

66% Major

66% Major

64% Major

• 2 weeks later...

Mikeski,

I haven't gone that deep into the data.  I just keep an eye on my match %...but i'm fortunate enough to have a solid GM in most of the local matches.  

Edited by uewpew

• 1 month later...