Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Freedom Munitions 9mm 147gr

Captains1911

I recently starting experimenting with 147gr RN New from Freedom Munitions, and cannot believe how much softer its recoil feels compared to the 115gr I have been shooting for a while now. My only concern is that it meets minimum power factor for IDPA, because I do not have a chronograph to test it myself. Anybody know? Thanks for the help.

Edited by Captains1911

I just noticed that the 147gr HP is advertised as 970 fps, I should give that a try too, and if it shoots similarly I'll likely just go with it since it's less likely to fall below power factor. Shooting these loads feels almost like cheating, I'm surprised more people don't shoot it.

Another alternative to this is the American Eagle 147 gr 9mm... I first started shooting this after taking a Ben Stoeger class and he said it's what he shoots at major matches... He let me use some, no complaints, and it's cheap!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Freedom's 147 is my match round for IDPA, and it's very accurate to boot.  I still have a stash of their 115gr that I'll shoot up in practice, but the recoil is definitely snappier than the 147.  I also have a couple of cases of SPEER Lawman 147gr (advertised at 970fps) that is every bit as accurate as the Freedom.  All these makes have been 100% reliable in both my 1911's and Glock 19.

I have done a lot of gun testing for various gun magazines over the last 30 years and the Federal American Eagle 147 FMJ load has proven to be the most consistently accurate  load in every 9mm I have tested it from. If it's not "The Most Accurate" it will always be among the top 2 or 3.

• 6 months later...
On 9/11/2016 at 0:13 PM, GOF said:

I have done a lot of gun testing for various gun magazines over the last 30 years and the Federal American Eagle 147 FMJ load has proven to be the most consistently accurate  load in every 9mm I have tested it from. If it's not "The Most Accurate" it will always be among the top 2 or 3.

Similar experience here over the last several years.

Last weekend in Houston my 147's chrono'd at 880 pretty much on the money.   Yesterday in Arkansas my first round was 820ish and the 2nd was 880ish.    At home on my labradar they run from 880-920.   

Gun used for those is a CZ Shadow 

Edited by kells81

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
On 8/4/2016 at 1:42 PM, DreGarciaTAT2 said:

Another alternative to this is the American Eagle 147 gr 9mm... I first started shooting this after taking a Ben Stoeger class and he said it's what he shoots at major matches... He let me use some, no complaints, and it's cheap!

isn't that a flat nose bullet?  how does it feed?     anything special to the  feed ramp. works well for practice for my mp-5,1 of the work guns we carry.

tia

jjw

isn't that a flat nose bullet?  how does it feed?     anything special to the  feed ramp. works well for practice for my mp-5,1 of the work guns we carry.
tia

jjw

Feed fine into the glock... can’t say for any other pistol though.