Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Burris XTRii 1-8 scope

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finally got the scope mounted and boy do I like it. The glass is great and the electro dot is day light bright. If I mount the scope so I can leave the rear sight mounted I have to slide my head forward slightly on 8 power but I'm good on lower powers. If I mount it with no rear sight on the gun the eye box is good on any power. I mounted the scope on my new DD4v11 pro using a Samson QD mount and I'm hoping to sight it in tomorrow.

Had it for a few weeks so far.  I am impressed with it so far.  For 3Gun (my opinion based on playing with them) the Circle dot is the better choice.  Been running it on the .308, will move to the .223 next week and get a video up after that.

From a weight perspective, can't really tell the difference between the 1-5 and the 1-8.

The MAD knobs are very cool and a feature that a lot of folks will like.

Yes.

No, The circle is still in view at high mag.  If you look at this image: http://www.burrisoptics.com/reticles/ballistic-circle-dot that is what you see at 8x.  At 1X, you get that pretty small and 4 more bars come in outboard of the 4 black bars you see.  They are a bit thicker and really work well at lower mag.

For 3Gun, all are going to have glass that is more than adequate.  If you are choosing between those three, consider the reticle, weight and maximum range you plan to shoot at.

4MOA targets out to 600 yards, the extra 2x might not be worth it to you.

FFP and SFP are of course a consideration, but that might be as much personal preference as anything, but I really like it.  I know I have missed targets using a BDC when I was not on full magnification.  One less thing to think about is sometimes nice on the clock.  The 1-8 is also an optic that you could reasonably use in DMR or in a Gas-Gun division of a precision match.  The other two, not so much.

I have been patently waiting for one. shot a benefit match for the local sheriffs OCSO department @C.O.R.E shooting solutions ,baker fl.  Walked away with two 50% certs Burris from the prize/ raffle table. That made the wait a little sweeter. Bottom line have a cert up for grabs. I will put it in classifieds tomorrow. message me for first dibs.

I did used to own the Razor HD ii 1-6. I was actually thinking about getting it again but then I saw the Burris and it peaked my interest. I've owned multiple Vortex's Vipers and Razors. I do think they offer a lot, and they were the pioneers in the no BS lifetime transferable warranty. IMO, they forced other manufacturers to follow their lead, and for that, we can all be grateful.

Anyway comparing it to the Razor HD 1-6, most people are going to ask about the eyebox. Although it's been awhile since I've looked through the Razor, I have to say that the Razors eyebox is larger. The heads up display like view the Razor offers is incredible. I would say that the Burris's eyebox is more like a Meopta k-dot, which is still a great scope IMO. Now keep in mind that I'm waiting on a mount, so I'm making this call just by holding it in my hands with no cheekweld whatsoever. I've played with the strike eagle, and I know many regard it as a great value, which I'm sure it is. But the first thing I noticed was the fishbowl effect of the SE. The XTR ii is much better, although I would still give the Razor the nod on this one. 

Compared to scopes I've had a chance to use, I'd rank the eye box/least fishbowl like this:

Razor HD>XTR=Meopta>MTAC>SE

Reticle. I think the Razor's JM-1 reticle is great for this kind of scope and its intended use for getting hits on steel quickly, moreso than precision. I wanted a reticle like that and the XTR ii is an improvement IMO. It has an extra 400 yards of holdover over the JM-1 and windage, something that the JM-1 doesn't have. It might not be needed, but it's nice to have if you do and it doesn't clutter the reticle at all. As for brightness, it is very very bright. I would say it is almost as bright as an aimpoint on max, which is overkill anyway. Compared to my Primary Arms advanced micro dot, which is almost aimpoint bright, the XTR ii is probably just a smidge brighter. No worries about shooting it on a sunny day with snow on the ground, which is much brighter than the desert sun.

Knobs have a very solid and tactile click with no mushiness.

Power adjustment ring is sooo much smoother and easier to operate than the Razor which we all know probably has the stiffest power ring of them all. Although I am still putting a switchview on it.

Just my preliminary thoughts. Hopefully my mount gets here saturday so I can shoot it.

It's aimpoint bright. No issues using it with the sun setting in my eyes. Didn't even use it on max because it was still blossoming to much. My forecast is cloudy for the next 10 days so no photos of it in sunlight.