Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

From holster to second shot

rondog

My question is what is typical good time to draw shoot 1 round reload shoot 1 round. I true this last night dry firing and it seemed terribly slow at a little over 4 sec. I've only been shooting maybe 1 gun match a month for the last 6-8 months so I'm really new to the game so go easy on me.

I would say somewhere sub 2 seconds would be decent. Im sure there are very good shooters that can do it way quicker. I cant say ive tried that exact drill and timed just that, but ill try it tonight and let you know what i get. Practice, practice, practice. My par times have come way down since dry firing, though i have a long way to go

Daniel K

You didn't give a yardage and I have never tried the exact drill, but here are some stats.

My normal for shooting doubles at 3 yards is 0.99 cold.

At 7 yards I can shoot doubles in around 1.3 cold.

At seven yards I can shoot a single around 1.10 cold.

My seven yard reload is around 1.25 cold.

If the ambient temp is really cold (below 50F - Texas boy) I can expect to see 0.10 - 0.15 increase in time.

So at seven yards, I should be able to do 2.3 and 2.5 seconds in live fire, cold. That is theoretical and also based on averages and all alpha's. I am sure I could pull a 2.teens on a "record" run and probably right at 2.0 with no regard for accuracy.

Jack is also spot on. For a beginner you are doing fine. Provided your holster and mag pouches are decent, you should be able to shave a solid second off your time with very little dry fire.

Here is Ben Stoeger running the FAST Drill with 3 different sets of gear to give you an idea of how your holster and mag pouches can affect you. But remember, once the gun is out of the holster, skill > gear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTkjlKyPKqs

GM is my goal and I'm not there yet. If I could ever get the weather, my job, and family functions from happening on the days of USPSA sanctioned matches I could get classified. Until then, outlaw matches are better than no matches!

Not expecting it soon, that's for sure. And family is always first. I could have shot on Father's Day and my wife actually pushed me too, but I decided I'd rather go to my father-in-law's and get in their pool with my boys (6 and 10) before they grow up. I'm glad I did; we had a blast!

I just tried it, draw, shot, reload, and shot. First one was a turn and draw and i got a 2.54 and then i realized you weren't talking turn and draw. I did it facing downrange (this was all dryfire) and my time was 2.36. Simulated 10 yards on a 1/3rd scale dryfire target with acceptable shots (A's and close C's). I can try it live fire on saturday. I tried to post a screen shot, but dont know how to on the tapatalk mobile app. Just keep dryfiring and you'll get there

Daniel K

I just tried it, draw, shot, reload, and shot. First one was a turn and draw and i got a 2.54 and then i realized you weren't talking turn and draw. I did it facing downrange (this was all dryfire) and my time was 2.36. Simulated 10 yards on a 1/3rd scale dryfire target with acceptable shots (A's and close C's). I can try it live fire on saturday. I tried to post a screen shot, but dont know how to on the tapatalk mobile app. Just keep dryfiring and you'll get there

Daniel K

Is your timer sensitive enough to pick up dry fire?

I was using the "Splits" app on my phone. And i have a da/sa gun, so both shots were double action and made plenty of noise. Now that i have a baseline though, I put it on the par time app that i use called Dry Fire Timer and dropped it down 1/10th second

Daniel K

I ran it today in live fire. Full disclosure, I did 8 Bill Drills first so I was not cold.

The average of 10 was 2.39 seconds. Here is a video of the fastest, which was a 2.33.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPyZ0-_zKNo

Here is the last one I did using a slide lock reload ala' operator!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_V27hKmm7-o

I ran it today in live fire. Full disclosure, I did 8 Bill Drills first so I was not cold.

The average of 10 was 2.39 seconds. Here is a video of the fastest, which was a 2.33.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPyZ0-_zKNo

Here is the last one I did using a slide lock reload ala' operator!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_V27hKmm7-o

Nice and smooth

you might want to consider doing the more commonly used and practiced drill called '4 aces'. it's similar just, draw, 2 shots, reload, 2 shots. Mainly because in IPSC type shooting we are generally firing 2 shots at each target. :)

as wakstaz said 2 seconds even for the draw + reload drill is GM level to be able to do it on command. that (captain obvious here) requires a sub 1 second draw and sub 1 second reload both of which are really M/GM level skills. Under 3 seconds is decent. 4 seconds is a great start for a new shooter. :)

For a B class shooter I would suggest:

A 1.3 second draw is not bad for hitting a target at 10 yards in a match

A 1.7 second reload is ok if you have to do a standing reload.

I have met a lot of GMs that are satisfied with a 1 second draw in a match. Travis has a video of doing a .7 or less reload. Nick S. also. But they put a lot of time in practice.

A match is a different animal.

If you want some metrics:

Saving .3 seconds in a 4 stage match is 1.2 seconds.

Saving .2 seconds on splits and transitions for 100 rounds of splits and transitions is 20 seconds.

Where are you going to put your time?

set up the plate rack at 10 yards 6 in. steel. from holster draw one round on steel. 250 rounds of live fire. +90% accurate. started @ 2.15 to 2.08 ended @ 1.9 to 1.8 fastest at 1.71 only counted hits on steel. tomorrow will be my 7th uspsa match. 15 months of practical shooting mostly IDPA / senior. just built my first dedicated 3gun rifle. shooting 5 match's this month. This is my 50th post. I guess I am official now.

set up the plate rack at 10 yards 6 in. steel. from holster draw one round on steel. 250 rounds of live fire. +90% accurate. started @ 2.15 to 2.08 ended @ 1.9 to 1.8 fastest at 1.71 only counted hits on steel. tomorrow will be my 7th uspsa match. 15 months of practical shooting mostly IDPA / senior. just built my first dedicated 3gun rifle. shooting 5 match's this month. This is my 50th post. I guess I am official now.

The key to cutting that time down is getting tje gun out of the holster as fast as you possibly can. React to start of the beep and get that gun out. You will feel like you are aiming slow but your speed will surprise you.

7th match in the books. A98 B3 C12 D2 M3 NS 4 48.14 % quite a few just head shots a or b only. covered by no shoots. I "feel" my self getting better. Ran two stages "clean" . First shooter of the day in stage one, no butterflies. Just stepped up and shot it.

• 1 month later...
On 8/3/2016 at 10:06 PM, pjb45 said:

Saving .2 seconds on splits and transitions for 100 rounds of splits and transitions is 20 seconds.

Agreed.  I just started dry firing The Hopkins transition drill...pretty herky-jerky right now, but i'm confident it will pay off =)

On August 3, 2016 at 8:06 PM, pjb45 said:

...A match is a different animal.

If you want some metrics:

True that. Also, shooting Limited, other than classifier stages I can't recall doing a standing draw at a start of a stage or a standing reload during a stage in a match since last May. So, match wise unless one is glacially slow on draws and reloads even half a second extra is not going to make a difference at anything other than a classifier stage.