Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Left-handed "flip and catch" unload

We've had endless debates over whether flipping the ejected round into the air and catching it during "Unload And Show Clear" (UASC) while shooting matches.

In the most recent one someone jokingly challenged lefty's to do it, and I broke down the technique in a reply:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=130028&p=2632121

I had one request in that thread and two more via private message to go ahead and make a video. So here it is.

https://youtu.be/xnQ2sGmK8vE

I'll resume clubbing baby seals and destroying the environment with aerosol cans now. Because flip & catch is just that evil.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AAaaaaaaand the first comment about "don't do this, the RO can't see in there." has rolled in.

It isn't in the video but I follow this up with three brisk racks of the slide, and then hold it open for the RO to see. There's no "speed racer ULSC" going on over here. RO's do not expect this from Leftys, and I find it common courtesy to show them the chamber.

We've had endless debates over whether flipping the ejected round into the air and catching it during "Unload And Show Clear" (UASC) while shooting matches.

In the most recent one someone jokingly challenged lefty's to do it, and I broke down the technique in a reply:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=130028&p=2632121

I had one request in that thread and two more via private message to go ahead and make a video. So here it is.

I'll resume clubbing baby seals and destroying the environment with aerosol cans now. Because flip & catch is just that evil.

Nice! I've always done it via pinching the rear serrations. Never thought to use the front. Thanks for the video!

Edited by SergioSF

I had read that the LHFACU often results in eye injuries, but I see you wore safety glasses

Being left handed is pretty much a borderline mental disability. We are used to wearing rubber helmets and safety glasses at all times. I know better than to trust myself with flying metal things.

In my opinion he did.

You opinion is based upon what, exactly? This is quite literally the worst possible camera angle to make that call from. You're missing the one crucial component to tell - how far "below" the muzzle my hand is when moving from racking to catching. The fingertips are about 4 inches below the muzzle at that point. Not that you can discern that in this clip.

Also almost broke 180, or didnt he?

The 180 is the third door on the left. For reference. Or was it the second...?

You dont unload facing SQUARELY uprange right?

Correct. I unload facing squarely DOWN range. RO's like that choice a little bit more.

It's possible this was filmed from an unconventional angle you wouldn't use during a match so that you can see what I'm doing.

Do whatever makes you happy. After all you're already handicapped being left handed. It actually flows better this way in my opinion.

But since it's me, I can't let it rest there. lol

I see two posts saying you DQED. It doesn't look like it to me but let's just say one of these guys were ROING you and called it. Even if it goes all the way to arb and it's just you and the RO who saw it, you will most likely be going home.

Wouldn't be worth it in my opinion to put yourself in that situation. Not to mention the thousand people who have watched the video and will try it this weekend at their first match ever.

But, it is pretty slick! :)

Edited by Sarge

Sarge... one thing I should point out:

Look at the way the gun angles 45* to the right when I'm doing this. To keep my muzzle centered downrange, I actually turn my body to the left 45 degrees as I swing the muzzle into position - much like you would do if reloading down the 180 on the move. If you think that through it means the RO can see everything I'm doing much more easily than when they typically unload a right handed person whose shoulder is in their way.

I'm pretty fond of believing in personal responsibility, so if someone wants to try this and knocks a tooth out or gets sent home, that's fine. We're all free to choose our own adventure. ;)

I only posted the video because someone said it wasn't possible.

The RO's who've seen it from behind and to the side, and not from an "atop the slide" angle, have never seen my hand anywhere near being swept. And they have a really good view.

Given the angle this was filmed from, I knew I'd be accused of that within the first half-dozen posts before the video was even posted. Range lawyers are gonna do what range lawyers are gonna do, and the Internet exists for us to be politely rude and hypercritical, after all.

Occasionally I do actually get an RO who has a personal pet peeve for flippers gruffly telling me to show them the chamber, but the gun is already on it's way up to do so with the slide held back for inspection at that point.

i've played around trying to do this as a left handed person would. i could do it, but not confidently. haha, even the lefty with me had more success just transfering hands and doing it like a righty would. but you're right, it can be done as a lefty, it's just tricky.

ps-i flip and catch every stage, every match. uspsa or the other one.

I see two posts saying you DQED. It doesn't look like it to me but let's just say one of these guys were ROING you and called it. Even if it goes all the way to arb and it's just you and the RO who saw it, you will most likely be going home.

they called that based on video, which is not admissible in arbitration.

seems like if he was really committing a safety violation, he would already have been dq'd at a match by these super-diligent-internet RO's.

From another lefty. That's pretty cool, but it's even funnier watching a old guy pick it up after he misses(me). No video please.

Safely flipping rounds means keeping your hand out from in front of the gun as your first priority, and catching the round as a distant second. Probably one time in ten, I'll flick it over my shoulder or off to the side too far. I just let those go, and present the gun to the RO. Sometimes, he'll catch it for me if he's feeling gregarious.

I keep waiting for one of those ROs you hear about online (who despise round flippers and want to DQ us all on principle) to spike it into the ground, and spit on it. Hasn't happened yet, though. :(

i've played around trying to do this as a left handed person would. i could do it, but not confidently. haha, even the lefty with me had more success just transfering hands and doing it like a righty would. but you're right, it can be done as a lefty, it's just tricky.

ps-i flip and catch every stage, every match. uspsa or the other one.

I've been doing this a while. Left handed, obviously. ;)

The key is cycling the slide at the same velocity every time... just like it is for a righty. A lefty just has to pay more attention to getting the gun indexed in the exact same position every time.

Unlike many of the righties who do this, I'm not "flicking" the gun upward with both hands as I run the slide. It stays stationary. So it really is an entirely different technique.

they called that based on video, which is not admissible in arbitration.

Well no $#|+! You missed my point.

And for the record, I'm not a whatever you called it RO. I do not care what shooters do within the rules!

Sarge... one thing I should point out:

Look at the way the gun angles 45* to the right when I'm doing this. To keep my muzzle centered downrange, I actually turn my body to the left 45 degrees as I swing the muzzle into position - much like you would do if reloading down the 180 on the move. If you think that through it means the RO can see everything I'm doing much more easily than when they typically unload a right handed person whose shoulder is in their way.

I'm pretty fond of believing in personal responsibility, so if someone wants to try this and knocks a tooth out or gets sent home, that's fine. We're all free to choose our own adventure. ;)

I only posted the video because someone said it wasn't possible.

The RO's who've seen it from behind and to the side, and not from an "atop the slide" angle, have never seen my hand anywhere near being swept. And they have a really good view.

Given the angle this was filmed from, I knew I'd be accused of that within the first half-dozen posts before the video was even posted. Range lawyers are gonna do what range lawyers are gonna do, and the Internet exists for us to be politely rude and hypercritical, after all.

Occasionally I do actually get an RO who has a personal pet peeve for flippers gruffly telling me to show them the chamber, but the gun is already on it's way up to do so with the slide held back for inspection at that point.

I can't believe somebody thought it want possible. Much less acrobatics than a righty!