Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

how will 3 gun work in CA. ?

Dear brianenos diary,

I am having a serious dilemma as I finish with MD school- go back to CA where family is at? (And of course great food, great women, great weather, great beaches, etc.) Or go to another gun friendly or at least "friendlier" state? California has upsides but is expensive, overcrowded, a little too hardcore liberal for me at times, and of course there are the gun laws which sucks for someone who likes sport shooting. Even with ranges available it is a huge pain in the ass to drive to them and the range/match fees are expensive as hell. You guys that go to Pala for AM matches from Orange and LA counties are the real heroes. Then again I met a guy who drove overnight across several states, without sleep, to make a classifier where I am currently at a few matches ago. 

Used to live in AZ and that was awesome, would love to go back there but there are only a couple training programs available for what I want to do. California has several excellent ones on the other hand. Texas would also be nice and has several great programs but is farther from family- the drive from Phoenix to LA can be done in under 6 hours and a flight is under an hour for under $100 round trip. Meanwhile Texas is a 20 hour drive or 3.5 hour flight... Oregon has a good program but I feel both it and Colorado (which I also like) are on the cusp of becoming full blown California status even though they both currently have acceptable gun laws. I am also looking at Utah but I am not Mormon so I imagine I would feel out of place and a little too sober even though I have become pretty good friends with most Mormons I have met and I love the Utah outdoors. New Mexico and Vegas don't have great programs in what I want but I wouldn't mind those places in the future, maybe after training but New Mexico doesn't have a great economy and between Las Vegas and Phoenix I am not sure which I would choose once I'm in my 30's wanting a family. 

If you are in California and are thinking of moving, I highly suggest Arizona- either a Phoenix suburb or Tucson. Phoenix is like the conservative version of Socal. Tucson is pretty liberal due to the university but it is a lovely place with great ranges that frequently have matches. As for me, I guess I will wait and see- the way we end up at programs is basically a weighted lottery. 

Edited by polymerfeelsweirdman

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Texas is nice, good winters - hot summers.  Not aware of what medical programs may be here but it does have a lot of well rated medical facilities.

Phoenix area certainly best for shooting and would be a nice place to live, no idea about medical facilities.

Well it seems the rumors of our demise were a bit premature -  

PROPOSITION 63 SUFFERS FIRST DEFEAT IN COURT:
FEDERAL JUDGE GRANTS CRPA’S REQUEST IN NRA SUPPORTED CASE TO 
STAY ENFORCEMENT OF CALIFORNIA’S MAGAZINE BAN

In granting the injunction, Judge Roger Benitez explained that Plaintiffs are likely to succeed in this lawsuit because “public safety interest may not eviscerate the Second Amendment.”