Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Unloaded table start

WaJim

Last weekend it seemed like it took me ten minutes to stow two mags on an unloaded all mags on table start.....anyone here with any secrets to getting them in the pouch without fumbling?

I've found that the index finger all the way down to the end of the mag for guidance works but repeatability is suffering....sometimes I can get them stowed quickly, sometimes they take a bit.

I've been practicing this week because I have a Match Sunday where, now that i'm practicing, I'm sure there wont be a table start......

Thanks!

I got the pistol loading part down ...for a semi rookie.

Its the mag stowage that's not automatic or smooth.

You as fast as the kid?

I beveled the inside edge of my single stack mag pouches forming a "magwell". That helped getting it started into the pouch without being perfectly aligned. That and practice. ;)

What pouches do you use? I went to CRSpeed with the SS inserts for this very reason.

I am shooting limited and have the Safariland 771 roller pouch on a Double Alpha belt..

I do need a magnet and have that on order from SSI.

I will check out the CR Speed pouches. Thanks.

What pouches do you use? I went to CRSpeed with the SS inserts for this very reason.

I am shooting limited and have the Safariland 771 roller pouch on a Double Alpha belt..

I do need a magnet and have that on order from SSI.

I will check out the CR Speed pouches. Thanks.

If your shooting limited don't worry about it and just get the magnet. You only ever need to grab one extra mag and the one you stuff in the gun. The Cr speeds are the lowest cut rigid pouches I could find. I shot a lot of production mack in the day and now I play in SS so it helps, a lot. I have the 771 on my 3 gun belt and those are great to load from but not to load on the clock. Too tall for me taste, also one of the reasons I got rid of my racemaster pouches.

Placement of the mags on the table - the right way up, correct angle, spaced apart - so you can pick them up quickly and positively.

Watch what you doing when you pick the mags up and are inserting them in the mag pouches. If you need 2 mags in your pouches pick them both up and insert at the same time so you eyes stay with your task. It may pay to bring both mags to your pouches but insert one at a time so you can really watch what you are doing.

Having a magnet is the key though.

If I need 2 on my belt I place 2 on the table side by side with what will be the top one overlapping the bottom one by a couple of inches so I can grab it from the magnet when I need it like I normally would from a mag pouch.

If I need an extra mag and I don't need to pick up the gun immediately I.e. gun on another table, I will pick up the extra mag using my strong hand at the same time as the other 2, start moving immediately and then swap it to the weak hand ready for loading one the other 2 are on the belt. If I can I place it and pick it up upside down so that when I swap from strong to weak hand my index finger is along the front of the mag.

I don't run a magnet, so if I need to put 2 on the belt I simply stand where I am going to stand a the buzzer and get a grip on the mags (while they are in the pouches) the same way that I plan to put them back. I index the left one the way I normally do. For the right one I put four fingers on the outside and the thumb on the inside.

Then I remove the mags from the pouches, and place them on the table a few inches apart. When the buzzer goes off, I simply reverse the motion. There may be slightly faster ways, but this has been extremely consistent for me.

Here it is in action...

• 2 weeks later...

Just practice. Lot's of advice here on different ways to do it, along with several suggestions of way to avoid doing it. Pick a way and practice it. It's no different than anything else... with practice comes efficiency.

My only advice is practice a method that allows you to do it while moving toward your first shooting position.

If you want you can get a 25lb magnet from the hardware store and add some double sided tape on the back to stop it from spinning and use the 771's tension screw to hold it on the front of it. works well for my wife. I like the DAA on the front of the pouch as well.

I've encountered a situation where there wasn't any point in trying to stow the magazines: I had to shoot some targets at the table, and then a second magazine was more than enough for the rest.

Load from the table - shoot - reload from the table - move on.

I've seen video of a stage where the shooter could move past the table to grab another magazine.

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
19 hours ago, dogtired said:

I would image a hardware store magnet on a tec lok would be pretty versatile

I can vouch for the fact that a hardware store magnet epoxied to your front Ghost mag pouch certainly is. It cost a total of $4. I stick my 1st mag there at locals all day long to keep it out of my pocket. I've even fallen on it and it's still holding strong.

(No one cares if a Production guy has a magnet on his belt at a local as long as you don't utilize it when the clock is ticking.)

Edited by MemphisMechanic

19 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

(No one cares if a Production guy has a magnet on his belt at a local as long as you don't utilize it when the clock is ticking.)

Nor do the rules prohibit it - as long as you don't use it on the clock.  Had a SS shooter with a magnet on his belt recently - a "friend" gave it to him to use.  He got to experience the joy of open, but ONLY when he snapped a mag onto it from an unloaded barrel start.  No STOP, nothing like that, just a "congrats, you're officially in Open now!"

19 hours ago, mreed911 said:

Nor do the rules prohibit it - as long as you don't use it on the clock.  

19 hours ago, mreed911 said:

Nor do the rules prohibit it - as long as you don't use it on the clock.  Had a SS shooter with a magnet on his belt recently - a "friend" gave it to him to use.  He got to experience the joy of open, but ONLY when he snapped a mag onto it from an unloaded barrel start.  No STOP, nothing like that, just a "congrats, you're officially in Open now!"

not true. Magnets are 100% positively not allowed in Production.

App D4 20 Magazines may not be
retained through magnetic means.

1 minute ago, mreed911 said:

Right, Sarge.  So just HAVING the magnet on your belt isn't a violation.  USING it is.... which was exactly the point I made.

I read "using it on the CLOCK as an implication you could use it off the clock". Having a magnet on the belt is fine but you can not "use" it at all to hold a mag at any time once you come to the line. you wouldn't get bumped for it but I would instruct the shooter to remove the mag before I issued any range commands. And in some peoples eyes that may be generous because of the way the rule is written.

36 minutes ago, Sarge said:

I read "using it on the CLOCK as an implication you could use it off the clock". Having a magnet on the belt is fine but you can not "use" it at all to hold a mag at any time once you come to the line. you wouldn't get bumped for it but I would instruct the shooter to remove the mag before I issued any range commands. And in some peoples eyes that may be generous because of the way the rule is written.

Re-read 5.2.4 and tell me I can't use a magnet prior to the Standby command.