Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel grip or not

Sarge

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/16/2017 at 8:27 PM, BeerBaron said:

I buy my wife jewellery and clothes etc. sadly nothing I can shoot or drive. but I do have 4 open guns of my own (plus plenty of others) and 2 bikes and 3 cars so I guess I'm going ok. :)

Yeah i think you're doing alright.  

On January 2, 2017 at 9:18 AM, zzt said:

Well, I've wanted a metal grip on my 2011 for some time.  The gun is muzzle heavy now, and I don't like that.  I will say that after shooting a couple of Winter matches, I'm rethinking that.At 30 degrees my Al grip guns are not pleasant to hold, and there is nothing you can do to warm them up.  Not so with the STI plastic grip covered with Dawson precut grip tape.  That remains comfortable to shoot.

Well i have been running a metal grip for a while both Al and SS, i have kept them warm in the winter by putting a medium size hand warmer in the grip when I'm not shooting the gun. Warm grip???? Nothing to it..

a matt, I tried that again at last Sunday's match.  I even bought a new batch of Hot Hands hand warmers, just in case those left over from last year had faded.  At 27 degrees they help, but I wouldn't call the grips warm.  I'd say they were less uncomfortable to shoot.  I'll try a larger size and see if that helps.  

I got a set of Lithium Ion hand warmers that double as battery packs.  They last about 5 or 6 hours and are extremely warm.  Highly recommend them, I think the brand is Human Creation or something like that, they are on Amazon.  They are warm enough to heat up a gun grip.  

1fd90b77306ff961bff7912aed95ac84.jpg
I just recently finished up my PT Evo grip and added a CFD Ti comp shortly after. Fitting the Evo grip to a STI "TG" serial frame is not a fun job....tedious and timely. Be warned!
After I got it on and shot it My initial thoughts are the added weight of the steel grips does absorb recoil and dampens gun movement for a faster reset. The weight is in the hands so it does not affect any swing or transitions for me as there's nothing forward to offset balance or create a lever effect. The CFD comp seems to push the gun back down efficiently and works well. I'm very pleased so far with the setup. It's considerably flatter and quicker to dot reset than prior to the metal grip. Then the CFD comp added shortly thereafter just sped it up a touch more. I included a pic of this fracked awesome setup! I'll post a video of this setup firing during my testing of the grip comp combo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Installed a PT EVO and couldn't be happier. As ballisticianx said, it is work to fit the grip. 

Amen, the grip fitting sucks. The tip of my index finger was numb for two days from down pressure on a needle file from about 300,000 file strokes lol. Then blending and refinishing the grip safety was another time consumer as your unable to grind the grip safety into the frame because the frame has a finish on it. Then filing open the trigger slots, and brush finishing the whole grip with its hundreds of texture cuts. In 15 years of working/building guns I find it the worst gunsmithing tasks I've ever done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 6 months later...
1 minute ago, Jerry Anderson said:

I've heard that a steel grip has less recoil and the plastic grip flexes a bit more. Personally i would go with the steel. Weight or not.

The guns original design accounts for flex. The steel grip was too heavy in my opinion on an open gun. There is very little recoil in my Open gun. Steel grips seem more at home on a limited gun perhaps

12 hours ago, zinger4040 said:

How would the PT evolution compare to the CK grip?

Can't speak to the CK, but the PT EVO grip has more contour on the rear, and with the shape of the beavertail ( it and MSH included in EVO "kit") I don't know how you could get a higher grip on a 2011.  The EVO also has shape on the sides (think palm swell) that fills in where there would normally be a gap with metal grips.  People with both large and small hands will say that it fits their hand very nicely because of these two things.  Also, just to reinforce what has likely been said before, the beavertail on an EVO is non-functional in terms of a grip safety.  In other words, it is locked in place by the MSH, and there isn't a tab for grip safety.  Done since most competition 2011's have this disabled anyway.  

Shot last night with my steel evo setup and also shoot pretty much identical setup with stock poly grip.  Love the evo,  would not switch back to poly, really noticed how blocky they are, and I have fairly large hands. 

I had a SS CK, for awhile, but couldn't get used to the extra weight in the hands. It seemed like the gun was slow moving, although that aspect could simply be perception. I did have a problem, however, with the mag release. I have regular size hands, but with short fingers, and the release was hard to get to.

The EVO grip may solve that problem.

I think a good way to go on guns that permit it is to lighten the slide to speed up gun function, but add muzzle weight (tungsten guide rod for instance) to help control. 

I love my CK grip, the gun shoots so good with the weight in the gripe. Yes that's the first thing I did notice was mag release was hard to get to, but adding a Clark mag button solved that problem. I think next gun I will try the EVO grip. 

I've shot polymer on my Limited gun for years.  Got my first Open gun with a steel grip.  So far I like it a lot.  Sure the gun is heavier and call me crazy, but are the few ounces of difference in weight really that noticeable?  I would tend to doubt it.  That said, the gun with a steel grip and a fully loaded big stick would be heavy shooting weak hand but I doubt that would ever be required.  If the gun is balanced and feels good in the hand I think the extra few ounces of weight is more of a mental thing than a physical limitation.  

Just my opinion and I admit I've never shot this gun with polymer to compare side by side.  Maybe I just tend to like a little heavier gun but I plan on keeping the steel grip.

21 minutes ago, Stickman301 said:

I have a CK steel grip.  It is super heavy.  To the point I cannot run a DAA Racemaster holster because the weight causes the adjustments to instantly come loose.  It does shoot nice though.

Sounds like you need to tighten up that holster. That should never happen.

44 minutes ago, Stickman301 said:

I have a CK steel grip.  It is super heavy.  To the point I cannot run a DAA Racemaster holster because the weight causes the adjustments to instantly come loose.  It does shoot nice though.

Something isn't right. I started this thread and do indeed find the steel grip too heavy on my Open gun, but I also have a racemaster and there was no issue. My RM is rock solid and would likely hold a small anvil in place