Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel grip or not

Sarge

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It also takes time getting used to it. I hated the steel for the first 500 rounds. Started to really come around after that and now I can't stand the poly. Numbers say I'm faster with steel but wasn't at first.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'll just leave this here, haven't shot it yet but I can tell you I won't go back to plastic after this build. All the weight in this gun is in the grip/stainless magwell, titanium comp and points like a 9minor steel challenge gun. 

hREZcax.jpg

Edited by ScottieShootz

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, glockman75 said:

I really want to try a steel grip but can't justify the cost.

I'm thinking about building a Para 9mm open gun just to try out the Original steel framed high cap!

Actually the Caspian and Para and P9 all came out about the same time and the McCormick (STI) shortly afterwards. My first open gun was a 10mm single stack no optics which pretty quickly got converted to a 38 super SS with a PDP2. Built a caspian Hi-cap as soon as they were available.

• 4 weeks later...

I recently removed my steel grip on my open gun and went back to polymer. Never achieved the same times shooting steel plate racks as I did with polymer. Also switch to a Limcat Limited gun with HBAR with polymer and guns shoots flatter than my steel grip Limited gun. 

It's an interesting thing sarge. 

I have stainless ck grips on 2 open guns, plastic sv with a slight reduction and silicone carbide job and an sv alluminium grip. 

My sv currently wears the plastic. I like the shape of it. The ck feels a bit thinner to me (side to side) but I like the texture. 

My sv runs flat and fast (short-ish gun with titanium comp and barrel holes but very light slide -8.2oz!). It is a little 'violent' though. As in you need to grip it hard to get the best from it. 

The steel gripped guns have ported barrels and titanium comps too but slide is more 'normal' at around 10.5oz. The new one (ck hardcore) is super flat too but is a smoother ride. Part of that could be slide weight but I think a lot is due to the grip. 

i would like to try a pt evo grip. They look great. 

Well, I've wanted a metal grip on my 2011 for some time.  The gun is muzzle heavy now, and I don't like that.  I will say that after shooting a couple of Winter matches, I'm rethinking that.At 30 degrees my Al grip guns are not pleasant to hold, and there is nothing you can do to warm them up.  Not so with the STI plastic grip covered with Dawson precut grip tape.  That remains comfortable to shoot.

BB, I tried that.  It doesn't work well enough.  I'm using up what remains of last Winter's lot, so maybe they got old and don't work as well anymore.  I'll buy some new boxes and try them.

9 hours ago, BeerBaron said:

You can buy the little disposable hand warmers/pocket warmers. Stick one up the magwell 10-15 min before your run. Nice and warm. :)

That's a great idea

Yes that can be a hazard. Still can be a faster lamr than the dudes that do the:

3-4 practice draws

rack slide and dry fire a few times

now airgun the whole stage from the start box 2-3 times

now pull out all mags and check they are loaded. 

Now insert each mag into the gun then eject it to check they all drop free

now spend 30 sec adjusting dot brightness to be juuuust right

now actually load the gun, remember to press check. 

Now shoot 4 sec classifier after 2 min lamr. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I have to admit I was of the mind that open guns needed to be light and transition quick until yesterday when i shot one of the Atlas open guns a buddy just got.  It had the new eco grip and a full dust cover and I thought it would steer like a tank.  We were at a steel match and happen to be on the stage with a plate rack at 20ish yards.  Without really trying I went one for one on the plates and it felt like the dot never lifted above the tops of the plates and then returned right where it was.    I currently shoot a Limcat Beastcat with a polymer grip and an aluminum magwell to cut as much weight out of the gun as possible but now i'm really itching to try my "wife's" new beastcat that is coming in april with the steel grip.