Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Colt Competition 1911 - thoughts and recommendations

dthomas1003

Just picked this up at a gun show today. Couldn't say no to the price and I've been looking at shooting USPSA SS. It has a lot of nice out of the box features so I'm going to shoot it as is for now. Only thin I'll add is a mag well.

For mags, I'm looking at the Wilson Combat competition ready mags that Dawson Precision has. Thoughts and experience with these? Other recommendations will be appreciated.

Right in line with what I'm planning to do. I agree the blue fiber optic is horrible. They might as well have just as well made the front sight blade solid black. Mine is red now. My eyes pick up that color the best.

post-64243-0-58374700-1467436256_thumb.j

Kimber rubber grips

Dawson ICE magwell

Dawson extended magazine release

Green front sight

EGW tungsten guide rod

Tripp/Kimber 10 round magazines for L10 / 3 gun

Tripp 8 round magazines w/Dawson (no gap) base pads

41.9 oz for USPSA SS

Gun has been near flawless. Kimber 10 rnd mags like to cause malfunction when loaded at slide lock. Waiting for McCormick RPM 10 rnd availability.

I have used the Metalform mags for 10 Rd. 9mm mags witht the Dawson base pads. I am pretty sure this is what he sells as his own competition mags for 9mm. I have had good luck with them. They are kind of hard to strip rounds out of for some reason but they feed in the gun no problem. I use the Willson ETM in my 45 and they are treating me good as well.

• 4 weeks later...

My wife is picking one up in 9mm tomorrow. Her USPSA competition gun, a STI 1911 suffered a broken barrel today that will require fitting a new barrel. But not in enough time for some upcoming matches (levels 1 and 3) very soon. With a transplant of the guide rod and Dawson magwell, she should be able to limp thru until the STI is fixed, and then send the Colt out for a trigger job. Because if you have a spare, nothing breaks.

To update this with all that I've done to it..

Wilson Combat sear

Wilson Combat disconnector

Wilson Combat Hammer

Wilson Combat extended slide stop

Wilson Combat FLGR

Wilson Combat sear spring

6 Wilson Combat mags with extended pads

Dawson Ice mag well

Changed the blue FO for red.

Extended mag release

15# recoil spring

I've shot several matches with it. The gun has run flawlessly for me.

To update this with all that I've done to it..

Wilson Combat sear

Wilson Combat disconnector

Wilson Combat Hammer

Wilson Combat extended slide stop

Wilson Combat FLGR

Wilson Combat sear spring

6 Wilson Combat mags with extended pads

Dawson Ice mag well

Changed the blue FO for red.

Extended mag release

15# recoil spring

I've shot several matches with it. The gun has run flawlessly for me.

We will likely do a swap of the guts for all EGW (they are close to me and sell to all the local smiths), and Series 80 delete.

Just picked one up. So far it runs great.

For fun I picked up a lot of diffrent ammo just to see how it ran and if it would have any feeding issues. So far 124 grain loads are it's preferd bullet weight with zero failures to feed with wilison mags.

I also changed out the blue fiber for green.

I am also very happy with the accuracy, so far the national match barrel is peformance better then expected and out shoots my spring field 9mm loaded.

My only complaint is the trigger, the pull weight is a bit heavy for me compared to my range officers and other colts.

My wife is running the 9mm version. It didn't function well with my competition handloads (125gr RN, 3.7gr TG, 1.135 OAL, 129PF), using the factory springs. Since we didn't have time to "play find-the-right-spring-for-the-load" before the match this weekend, she shot using factory 9mm ammo without a problem. I've ordered some Wolff calibration spring packs to help narrow down the best recoil/hammer combination. I did transplant her Dawson Ice Magwell and extended mag release without issue.

Edited by Scrmblr

My wife is running the 9mm version. It didn't function well with my competition handloads (125gr RN, 3.7gr TG, 1.35 OAL, 129PF), using the factory springs. Since we didn't have time to "play find-the-right-spring-for-the-load" before the match this weekend, she shot using factory 9mm ammo without a problem. I've ordered some Wolff calibration spring packs to help narrow down the best recoil/hammer combination. I did transplant her Dawson Ice Magwell and extended mag release without issue.

The dual factory spring is just way too heavy. First thing I got rid of. I hope the 1.35 OAL in 9mm is a typo..lol