Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Para Pro Custom mags with Dawson extensions

Flash74

I had the Dawson extended base pads on my two magazines (that came in the box with my 16.40). Even tried them with the Arredondo spring/follower in there (which I could jam every once and a while ... going salt shaker) so I put the stock guts back in.

Other than not getting the Arredondo sorted out so I wouldn't jam it when trying to force too many rounds in it ... either spring follower combo worked fine.

The problem ... (at least for both of mine) was that they were just a tad to long to fit into the 140 length gauge (EGW gauge).

I put the Arredondo spring/follower back in with the factory basepads and use them as utility mags (so they don't lock back ... and primarily for stages where you have mandatory reloads after a short round count etc).

I can't imagine ever being checked at a match ... but ... mine aren't legal 140s with those extensions on there so I don't use them. I have other 140 match mags that fit the gauge.

Found an old photo with the Dawsons installed on the factory mags ... I'll put one back on and take a picture with the mag in the gauge if I get a chance here in a min ...

post-61067-0-29900500-1466971630_thumb.j

OK ... here it is ... with the Arredondo spring/follower combo and the Dawson ... sitting in the mag gauge ... :closedeyes:

post-61067-0-12520600-1466972403_thumb.j

Edited by pete627

If you are going to shoot USPSA, then you will be about 2mm over the guage. Look for a Canadian tube and install the tooless base pads from Dawson and use only the standard length spring with +10% from wolff. You dont need the the extended ones. And Mike Barrerra inspects all mags during the chrono stage during our Major match here in Michigan.

Edited by fishpinoy27

Everyone, thanks for the info. I have a friend with a 9mm pro custom and 6 stock mags who was looking to increase capacity. So it seems he can just buy basepads and use his stock guts to gain capacity.

Flash, Stock as in ProCustom mags? Or Canadian mags? What squad are you shooting next week at Ryan Rocks?

I am not going to shoot it this year. I have a 3gun match on Saturday and playing paintball on Sunday with my son.

My friend only shoots 3gun so the length is not critical on the mags. (Unless he goes to a major match)

• 3 months later...
On 6/30/2016 at 11:51 AM, Flash74 said:

Everyone, thanks for the info. I have a friend with a 9mm pro custom and 6 stock mags who was looking to increase capacity. So it seems he can just buy basepads and use his stock guts to gain capacity.

I'd be interested to know if this worked w/your 9mm mags. I tried this with 9mm Para mags but the indentations that run down the length of the mag gave me problems. When I inserted the ~18th round, the first round would fall below that indentation. After 2-3 rds were fired I got the "salt shaker" effect as someone else wrote. 

With my factory Pro Custom 16.40 mags, I installed the Dawson tool-less basepads w/factory spring & follower and I could run factory-length .40 @ a reloadable 20rds for nearly 6months. After that, my springs failed so I bought Wolff +10% "extra coils" springs and cut to length. I've never had a problem since and my mags fit the gauge with 1.5mm to spare. 

Regarding Arrodondo springs & followers in 16.40 mags, those NEVER worked. Follower turned every time I shot the gun resulting in the same "salt shaker" effect.