Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

K or L frame for an open build

Stevenb

had a go recently at action match and am interested in shooting it some more. I'm looking at picking up either a K frame (mod 19) or a L frame (686).

I can pick up a K frame for about half the price of a 686 already worked over for service pistol, would the 686 be worth the extra?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Better off buying something already built for open. Mover mount, barricade wings, action job, after market barrel and big butt style grip will cost $'s - so a few bucks saved on a K frame against a more durable L frame will soon be lost if you are building up a gun.

I would go with the 686 because it has a more durable frame and you can get a 7 round cylinder for it. The 7 round cylinder is a little added insurance, that's nice to have for a light strike or trigger clutch. Also have the cylinder cut for moon clips, not for speed loading but for organization.

L frame. K frames and L frames have the same grip frame. K frames' bores are closer to the yoke than L frames, which means there is less steel on the bottom of the barrel. This makes it likely they will split over time.

I had a K frame open gun for a few years. It finally split so I couldn't open the cylinder on the Mover at the Cameron Cup. I was lucky the frame hadn't split, too. Warren and I have seen that happen even on PPC guns running bunny fart loads.

-Tracy

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

What Tracy said.

I have a K frame because of what Solvability said (IMO) but only shoot lead or coated bullets through it. If you shoot jacketed rounds and pump up the speed, the K frames are prone to cracking at the forcing cone.

I do love a K frame tho!

I'll ask around the local clubs that shoot it. they also come up infrequently on usedguns.com.au. Found one last night for the right money built on a mod 10 (or 64 as it is stainless)

Once funds permit I would like to get an auto built on a 1911, but for now

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

it's at my dealer, just waiting on my permit to acquire to arrive. I've got a Ultradot Matchdot II to replace the Tasco 2x scope ready and waiting. I'm thinking I'll need to order a PD stick shift for it once I get some more funds. 

Also couldn't help myself and picked up another 686.

better pics once I actually get them in my safe.

586.jpg

686.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

picked up the 586 open gun yesterday (I'm a bit slack and didn't get any extra photos)

It is a 586 no dash frame, blueing has worn in some spots and there is a little surface rust on one spot on the cylinder. The rail it has on it (a Tasco rail) is a bit short for the matchdot II to mount with 2 scope rings, so currently have it mounted up with a single ring in the front. I'm hoping that the holes for the rail won't interfere with putting either a Weigand rail on it or a stick-shift. The barrel is also over/under rotated as the barricade wings are noticeably not level. I'll be dropping it off to a gunsmith in a few weeks hopefully to give it a once over. For the price I got it I'm happy and it will get me into NRA Action Pistol.

On September 1, 2016 at 6:16 AM, Stevenb said:

it's at my dealer, just waiting on my permit to acquire to arrive. I've got a Ultradot Matchdot II to replace the Tasco 2x scope ready and waiting. I'm thinking I'll need to order a PD stick shift for it once I get some more funds. 

Also couldn't help myself and picked up another 686.

better pics once I actually get them in my safe.

586.jpg

686.JPG

Congratulations, nice finds!

picked up the other one, a 686-3, it also came with a 2nd sight rib which has a weaver rail and a machined recess that looks like where you would grip the barrel and has a barricade wing that can be bolted on, so a pleasant surprise there.

686-3.jpg

9 hours ago, Stevenb said:

Had some luck and jagged a brand new Stick Shift from another Aussie who bought it to build an open revo. Just need someone to screw it all together for me (and sort out the barrel)

0596f5e1b3920579241aab64238e03d8.jpg

1c4615ccb06e213fce631b683a9c6b03.jpg

7d37636267b1393a0d8c40e85ccfacdd.jpg

Score! Looks like it's coming together.

• 4 weeks later...

wich barrel do you guys prefer? SS or carbon steel?

I've bought a lathe with all the material to build myself a PPC revolver , the only barrels available here are Lothar Walther. They offer SS and carbon, normal land/grooves or polygonal rifling. Most current (european)revolvers that I see all use stainless polygonal rifling

can choose between 1/10 and 1/17 twist, I prefer the 1/10 for the HBWC...

I have a mill to so I can perform al the work myself

gr T