Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm pistol 50 yard load development

tcp112275

I have a cz 75-sp01 and looking to develop a long range load 50 yds. This is solely out of curiosity. I have been reloading for 8 months 9mm & 5.56. I have a chrono too. What type of bullet and weight should I start with? From what I gather a lighter weight bullet at a higher velocity would probably be a good start (flatter trajectory). Any suggestions on bullet types, powders, and velocities? I know I can not achieve 2" groups but I do want to know what can be accomplished at this range with this gun.

Zero conical 125 jhp, or the .356 125 Hornady Hap, Titegroup, N320, N340 and test powder weight first, then oal in .005 increments.

If testing by hand, 25-35 yard testing would be sufficient to find a great load and take some "shooter error" out of it. If you have access to a ransom rest, that would be great at 50.

I never had great groups with a 115 in my Shadow. They shot fine, but the 125 was a laser.

Edited by DWFAN

I shoot 147 xtreme and Universal 3.4, OAL 1.150 out of everything. CZ, Glock, PCC. Today I was hitting a gong at 200 yards with my PCC with a 5 inch barrel and suppressor. I had to aim about 3 feet high, but I was hitting at least every other one. Parabellum? Hell, no. Parabolic.

Edited by Hatchet

A few thoughts: 1) just try a lot of stuff to see what your barrel likes. If you have other CZ or production shooters nearby try some of their pet accuracy loads. 2) 50 yards you are still looking for accuracy, I wouldn't worry about bullet drop as much as tighter groups. 3) consider getting nice trigger job if you don't have one - I compared stock SP01, Custom shadow, and AccuShadow distances 15,25,50 yards, and the stock SP01 was about as accurate BUT with stock trigger it was hard to keep groups tight vs lighter custom trigger.

So far the best I have is this 10 shot @ 100 yards group (shot with a scoped rifle)using Winchester 115g JHP's @ 1.10" with Speer brass and Universal (never found anything it did better than others before). They chronograph right at 1400 fps, so you'll understand why I didn't list charge weight.

IMG_20160218_133157_052-1_zpssykfmqoa.jp

Didn't have much luck with plated bullets but 9 of 10 did hit paper...

IMG_20160218_180607_646-1_zpsuqkjqrbf.jp

Edited by jmorris

It seems majority likes the 125 HAP bullets. Now about the powder. What end of the spectrum should I be on. Faster powder or slower?

Power Pistol is an old standard for 9mm PPC loads. I like faster(softer) powder since I dont shoot PPC. Titegroup, N320, N330, N340.

• 3 weeks later...