Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any Sphinx owners here?

I have the SDP subcompact. Very pointable and accurate. Fit and finish is impeccable. The trigger was very good out of the box, but I sent it to Automatic Accuracy, and they did a great job of further smoothing the action.

• 10 months later...

I have the subcompact with 35-40 thousand flawless rounds. The recoil spring cracked 1/3 turn at the first turn. They replaced the entire assembly no charge no questions.

Edited by Phoenix7
Didn't post properly.

I had the SDP Compact for a while at the same time I had a CZ P01.  It was reliable, shot great, and looked great.  I liked it a lot more than the CZ, but always wished it was a full size since I didn't carry it or anything.  If you're on the fence, I'd recommend it.

The Sphinx SDP Compact is on my list of next guns to purchase, maybe even a subcompact too. I've been shooting Tanfoglio now in competition a while and would like to start having some self defense pistols that have basically the same ergonomics and trigger. My CZ75 Semicompact is a lot different in feel to my Tanfoglio or the Sphinx. The Sphinx that I tested out was more on the Tanfoglio side than the CZ. The frame and beavertail cut were not CZ like. The trigger shape and position was Tanfoglio.

• 1 month later...

I shoot the compact regularly in CCP and absolutely love it. Trigger was gritty initially in DA, but after a few hundred rounds it has come together nicely. SA is very good, and the gun is tight and inherently very accurate. Am having a lot of fun with it.

Fondled one at the store and really like feel of it. Have P07 Duty and Sphinx feels like luxury model of that gun. But my P07 has just under 6lbs double and just over 2lbs single action trigger pull. I might pick it up anyway , just to add to collection  :)

• 2 months later...

i had mine since early 2015 its the sdp duo-tone all steel,  love the way it shoots SA and hate DA pulls. i carried it for a couple of days and it felt like two bricks strapped around my waist. so shes back in the safe and this year i pulled her out for night stand duties and strapped a surefire xc1 on her. i only shot the sphinx when i visit the range to test my home defense fire arms and that happens once or twice a year.

i almost forgot about my love for this pistol until a couple of months ago i stumbled upon a youtube video by modern weapons system.  my excitement is back!  the real reason for picking up the duotone compact was because i was hoping that the full size duotone will come out and i wanted to have them as a pair (compact for CCW and full size for uspsa production) . but as we all know that never happened :( 

i had a lot of trouble taking apart the sphinx sdp since its the first time for me to pull out its guts and there are no videos in youtube for DIY on the frame. luckily for me there was Ian Mcfarland from modern weapons that helped me via emails when i get stuck during the take down of the pistol. i cant thank you enough Ian! i don't remember what my stock pull was but i built this pistol for CCW duties and im getting high 7lbs DA and high 3lbs SA using the hardest hammer spring. i cant say im not exited to shoot live fire and swap out the 3 hammer springs and test it with my cci primered loads and some factory WWB 115gr and freedom munitions 124gr. i will report on the hammer spring once i come back from the range. and, according to ian there are some more improvements coming soon for the sdp. oh yeah!

Edited by Gviz

5 minutes ago, valerko said:

I've picked p mine not to long ago. Really like that thing , but like you said , double action can use some work. I also have P07 Duty and it has little better trigger .

That trigger kit does look interesting 

go for it you will love to shoot your sphinx more once you feel the difference of that light DA pull. (save yourself the trouble and get the complete set. you save more in the end coz of shipping) i will be going to the range to test the 3 hammer  springs for reliability as soon as work schedule goes back to normal)

• 2 months later...

I dont shoot it a a competition gun but I have a SDP subcompact for carry. Good gun, perfect size and really accurate. Aftermarket stuff is scarce but getting better. Both XS and i think trueglo have sight offerings now which is a huge step up. The only change I would like now is a rail to be able to mount a light.