Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is quad loading a necessity?

Hi Everyone,

I was curious as to what you guys think. I have been loading two for about a year and a half and can consistently load 8 in a match in the 4.8-5 second range with no fumble factor. Now I have been messing with quad loading for about a month, practicing daily, trying different shell holders and the best I can hope is 4 seconds for 8 but about 2 loads out of 10 there is a fumble/dropped shell. Do you think a consistent load two that you can hit on demand with no fumble is much worse than a quad load you occasionally fumble. I know I will probably get better, but I'm really not lovin the quad load :-)

Hi Everyone,

I was curious as to what you guys think. I have been loading two for about a year and a half and can consistently load 8 in a match in the 4.8-5 second range with no fumble factor. Now I have been messing with quad loading for about a month, practicing daily, trying different shell holders and the best I can hope is 4 seconds for 8 but about 2 loads out of 10 there is a fumble/dropped shell. Do you think a consistent load two that you can hit on demand with no fumble is much worse than a quad load you occasionally fumble. I know I will probably get better, but I'm really not lovin the quad load :-)

Within 3-Gun and other than a stage designed to test reloading ability (empty gun start) I feel loading two at your speed will not harm your overall match performance.

I say that because it (as far as my research shows) it has not harmed mine (I too load two)

8 shells under 5 seconds is plenty fast for almost all stages. Usually you are moving anyway. Getting all the shells in the gun consistently is more important. Especially if the stage requires more than one type of shell....buck, slugs, bird, heavy bird. Shells on the ground can really mess up your plan. I quad load, but focus on getting the shells in the gun, not on speed.

Thanks everyone for the replies it does make me feel better. I did a couple quads and they were way slower than if I would have just loaded two. I prefer the flexibility of loading two was well like loading six or even just two if I need too.

Tony, Tony, Tony.... One date with the quads on the clock that didn't go well and you are ready to kick it to the curb. LOL Just kidding. You consistently load two damn quickly. That said, one thing that made the quadload hard today is you had to dance around that table and barrels. With deuces you can pay more attention to where you are going. For me, distractions while loading quads can lead to a lawn sale very easily. Someone with better skills than me may not have the issue though.

I think quads have the potential to be faster but for the the vast majority of the people are not worth it. The load 2 is much easier to learn and be proficient and consistent with than quads. The amount of time needed to get consistent and fast with quads in match conditions is much higher than loading 2. A lot of people are doing quads because they see the videos of the top few doing it lightning fast yet would honestly be better grabbing 2 and shoving them in vs grabbing 4 and having to be way to meticulous that it's vary slow or dropping shells.

I think quads have the potential to be faster but for the the vast majority of the people are not worth it. The load 2 is much easier to learn and be proficient and consistent with than quads. The amount of time needed to get consistent and fast with quads in match conditions is much higher than loading 2. A lot of people are doing quads because they see the videos of the top few doing it lightning fast yet would honestly be better grabbing 2 and shoving them in vs grabbing 4 and having to be way to meticulous that it's vary slow or dropping shells.

Exactly! Popcorn one Quad and your twin will have been better on the stage. I tell people to practice at least one load in addition to their main method. That can be Quads, old school weakhand, opposite hand, just in case.

Mark I have been using your twins for the last year and a half and love them! The issue for me with quads is body position to the grab completely changes the presentation to the gun. With deuces I can grab in any orientation facing any direction and the grab and load is the same. To me it's a huge advantage.

Take this for what is worth I load 2 style and I can load 8 in 4 seconds or less consistently. I used to think that loading fast was the key to a shotgun stage. One day my buddy and I shot a match and he beat me on a shotgun stage by a couple of seconds. He is a lot slower reloading however he didn't miss. That's when I put it together missed shots on a shotgun stage can be 2 seconds or more a miss if you run the gun dry then have load and make up the shot. The second light bulb that went off for me was if you shoot and load on the move you gain even more time then speeding up your load by a second. When I started going 1 for 1 and moving shooting I started winning stages at the club level and some matches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The big thing is consistent. The super fast load helps on occasion but not often. Shooting on the move may or may not be an advantage and sometimes it is sometimes it isn't. Sometimes better to sprint and post up

"Those folks were"????.......or maybe are? Most of "those folks" ain't dead yet!!! ;)

Good point - they are very much alive and about to beat me again, I'm sure! I'll be curious to see if they're still loading old-school weak hand. ;-)

Edited by Matt in TN

I am real sure that at least one of them still does load weak hand......old school? This here quads, twins...etc. only started around 4 years ago.

5 years in the US, about 6 in Europe. :) Even so, one of the times that stands out to me was you whooping and hollering and explaining it to Rob Leatham at the 2011 SMM3G on the all shotgun stage. Don't know if you remember, but that remains one of my shooting high points.. :)

Now, got to go finish up JJs shotguns.

A well practiced Quad load is for sure a fairly easy method to gain an advantage over shooters who do not. My guess is that you can save a second per 8 and it adds up quickly on a longer stage. Quad load does require a bit of practice though, but when you have it dialed in it is very smooth and secure ->

A well practiced Quad load is for sure a fairly easy method to gain an advantage over shooters who do not. My guess is that you can save a second per 8 and it adds up quickly on a longer stage. Quad load does require a bit of practice though, but when you have it dialed in it is very smooth and secure ->

Ambidextrous???