Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Just Call Me Charlie Mike

ArrDave

6/26/17

TLDR: I tanked my very first stage on a hard lean picking up 3 no shoots causing me to rush the rest of the stage with probably 3 makeups on steel a couple deltas and a mike.  Those were all the penalties I had for the day but it was enough to cost me 50 match points (I was about 78-82% of the HOA Production all day) and that cost me about 50 match points and 3 places.  That said the rest of the match went well.  I was seeing well, what makeups I had came pretty quick.  Points were good-ish (90%)  times need improvement. 

Stage 5 -  The hard lean and makeups ate my lunch.  Bad points and a slow time (29) where it should have been 22-24s.  3NS 1M 1D

Stage 6 -  First position I probably should have drawn to the harder target and exited on the 3 easy ones as opposed to only giving myself one target to back out on.   First reload sucked so movement was slow and setting up in the second position was slow and I dwelled and watched steel fall as I got out of position.  2 D's.  Left the third position well and ran the last array pretty well.   Set ups / moving reload work needed in a big way. 

Stage 7 - I kind of lost my nerve as I had thrown 2 D's so I wanted to settle down so I over aimed a bit in every position on every target.  Went OK - too slow.  

Stage 1 - I made up 2 shots on paper one I called and one I observed transitioning off and picked up leaving position, in the last position I called the mike high on the partial stack immediately and made it up, which lead to a hero or zero slide lock on the mini popper I finished on.  I got crushed on this stage on raw time.  I over ran the second position.  shifting to the 3rd position I didn't aim through the wall at the next target so it took longer than it probably should have.  Foot speed was really slow leaving position due to the mag hanging up in the chute preventing me from accelerating like I needed to.  Lumbered out of position, started the reload then looked to the next target before completing it.  Kind of slow swing on the 90 trans with a pivot.  Last Array was OK other than the mike I called/made up.  

Stage 2 -  That's about all I have as far as skill is concerned right now.  Moved around pretty good, reloads went really well (because I practice fast 2-3 step reloads, it's the 3-5 step ones that get me).  I probably could have picked up time on coming into the last position on the close target then shooting it near to far rather than far to near but I am please that the cadence improved as the targets got easier.  

Stage 3 - El Prez - 5.79s 7A 5C.  Time is decent, a couple tenths on the reload (moved in the body, slow getting to mag pouches)are available but biggest issue was points.  Draw was 1.25.  If I had connected on the hits it would have been a good one, but as it was I was blasting at brown rather than focusing on the A zones.  Trigger control was probably a little janky, C's were left and low on the left target and they were left on the right target - the center target I had good discipline on  and got all A's.  I was surprised that it was not 6A/6C but one shot was touching when you got closer to the target so I got the alpha.  I was preparing for the "Madness" classifier that we were supposed to have so coming into El Prez cold was pretty good since I rarely practice it anymore. 

Stage 4 - I shot 87% on this stage with a bit of a positional bobble mid stage - not bad.  Hung up one D.  

ALl in all my setups are lacking and it's usually due to my reloads slowing the movement down .  I am going to drill set ups and reloads coming into position for the next month.  I need to set up wider and lower.

Edited by ArrDave

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, I'm responding on here because texting this would be annoying.

On the subject of leans/ hard leans:  look at your feet.  Instead of staying grounded on both feet and using your leg strength to pivot and balance yourself, you are planting your outside foot and on tiptoe of your inside foot.  You are creating an imbalance that translates to your gun instability.  Your center of gravity is way biased to the outside so you're not getting great push in your position exits.  If you plant both feet, you can lean and use your legs to provide stability and power out when you're done shooting.

I'm gonna have to roast your stage plan on #6.  You artificially created a target to leave on/shoot out of position.  I understand what you're thinking, but what you've done as an unintended consequence is create another transition out of a tough lean in the OPPOSITE direction of the next position.  You had to contort your body weirdly and you gave yourself less time/distance to accomplish the reload and have the gun up for the next array.  Take that array linearly.    

In general, too many make-up shots.  Take the extra tenth to break a good shot the first time.  It will almost always be worth it mathematically versus making one up.

You are correct that the most glaring issue is set-ups and positioning.  A lot of foot shuffling in two areas: 1.  Finding your position.  This is a walkthru/visualization thing.  Gotta find the spot in walkthru and then burn it in.  On stage one you overran the second position.  You have to look at the specific spot on the ground in your approach and then get the eyes back up on target.  Then your body needs to decelerate the appropriate amount to hit the spot and "stick the landing".  Spatial awareness and all that.  You can dryfire this scenario.  2.  Shuffling once in position.  Once you hit a position, you're shifting your feet during target transitions.  The goal should be to get your feet planted and keep them there until you finish that array, when practicable.  Look at your feet at the ports on stage one and two.  Count how many times you pick your foot up.  Most of that is unnecessary because you have a huge range of motion in your knees and hips.  Use that range of motion to move your torso in lieu of shifting your feet.  

Watch my video on one and two and compare our feet movement.  

Your wide transitions are a little lackadaisical.  (Maybe dropping the gun a little, too.)  Experiment in dry fire.  

Edited by wtturn

• 2 weeks later...

7/5/17

Cleared 4 shots per dot today on the dots drill @ 15 feet! I'm starting to get a feel for how to make the gun track shot for shot.  About 1 dot per sheet had 4 holes touching or 4 touching and 1 flier.  It was taking Jake's advice from the opposable grip on production gun threads.  The butt of my support hand thumb interfaces with the top of the grip, once it touches I roll it forward and apply pressure simultaneously in through rolling out my elbows a bit, and forward through anchoring my fingers and pushing forward on the frame toward the target.  The sights track MUCH more uniformly and quicker using this method.  I wasn't used to how quickly the sights would be back.  If I can hit this a high percentage of the time and get used to how quickly the sights cycle doing this, I suspect and expect to pick up a good bit of time on hoser type arrays without giving up points.  

Makes me wish production guns had thumb rests.  

Gah I wish I had the ammo/time to get out twice a week in live fire.  

In other news, dryfiring EVERY day - no days off - is leading to more consistent results in training.  

• 2 weeks later...

So my recap. 

Overall - I did fairly well.  A couple close D's and a mike, but only a couple bobbles that cost fractional time - I improved on the stuff I wanted to improve on so that was a win, which was less time on sights over aiming and not re positioning my feet but leaning.  

Stage 3 - Unloaded start, reloads must come from barrel start outside shooting area. Reacted quick, got the gun cleanly charged it and started shooting cleanly.  The first 8 shots were a little slower than I would like but I was first shooter on the first stage.  I need to figure out how to get in there quicker and have my confidence at the beep and not build it as I navigate my first stage.  I shoot first pretty much at every match.  This match especially - they weren't real hip to the "cycle down the list" type, so I ended up shooting first 2 times at least today and declined to go first on one when they asked if I was ready.  Reload form the barrel went fine, but I felt like I needed to release my slide so I touch my slide stop, costing me probably half a second i didn't need to spend.  Not sure what that was, we'll chalk it up to programming. 

Stage 2 -  Tight area with tight sight lines caused a lot of leans - the leans went OK - I can speed those up and tidy them up a touch.  movement to the second position was a large loping step, I could probably speed that up with shorter choppier tighter steps.  All in all it didn't go poorly. 

Stage 1 -  Movement into box was fine, shooting was fine - movement to second position was fine, movement into third position was fine, wide transition was good for me, could be a little quicker.  Reload into the last "position" basically where I was standing was a little slow and I threw a mike on the second target, I broke the shot too early swinging onto the target and missed left.  

Stage 5 - Crackerjack - This is a tough classifier.  My time was a little slower than I'd like and my points were trash due to 2 D's.  Shot a 57%.  Nice. 

Stage 6 - Down the middle.  Draw was a little slow to a 7 yard target, that's probably a confidence thing.  Splits were OK and transitions were OK - it came out to be about 82.5%  - not what I wanted but probably an honest reflection of where I am.  

I want to focus on speed between positions and trying to chase the limited guys now - so that's going to be a lot of moving reloads and staying REALLY low in and out of position with short choppy steps. 

Very nice shooting !!

GREAT self analysis - very aware of wide variety of issues    :bow:

SUPER DOOPER write up - including advertisements - how do you
get "sponsored" if you're a C shooter????

Lol the trick is have a buddy start an ammo company, shut down the ammo company but in so doing get us set up with SNS. The range that also does shotbrass.com is where I used to be a match director for IDPA so it's really just helping buddies out.

At the end of the day it's really just a nice shirt in the GA heat. If I wasn't "sponsored" I would buy some of their plain shirts just to wear because it's darn hot. I am now a high A classed shooter pushing for M.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, EEH said:

Dave,,

what about the brass in your post?

shotbrass.com

My "home" range has started picking up the brass from their indoor range, sorting, cleaning and selling it. 

They have pretty good prices and since it's all off an indoor range it's never exposed to the elements and not likely to have any 9 maj.  brass. 

Stage 3: Get lower so that you can transition more quickly and lean out without having to pick up a leg..

Stage 2: Looking good, but try to stand so that you don't need to reposition your feet when transitioning between targets. Foot position is something to work during the walk-through and work into your pre-stage visualization.

Stage 1: Nice aggressive shooting other than the hitch moving into the last position.

Stages 5 & 6: Nothing obviously wrong, just need to shoot faster and more accurately.

20 hours ago, Andreas said:

Stage 3: Get lower so that you can transition more quickly and lean out without having to pick up a leg..

Stage 2: Looking good, but try to stand so that you don't need to reposition your feet when transitioning between targets. Foot position is something to work during the walk-through and work into your pre-stage visualization.

Stage 1: Nice aggressive shooting other than the hitch moving into the last position.

Stages 5 & 6: Nothing obviously wrong, just need to shoot faster and more accurately.

3 - noted. 

2 - I see what you mean, it's nowhere near as bad as last month was with the shuffling, but definitely room for improvement. 

1- yeah saw that too. 

5&4 - faster and more accurate.  Check.  That should be easy :D 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Stage 7 - 2 mikes on steel in first position.  Other than that decent run.  Probably should have reloaded into the last position rather done a standing reload at the port but it was nearly 2 positions to see all those targets anyway.  Possibly taken the target on the right, then the left then reloaded into position and worked through the port left to right - finishing on the close/difficult angle target.

Stage 8 - had a no shoot from a near miss on a head box.  Should have tried a little harder at the A's in the head boxes, gave up too many points. 

Stage 1 - Should have shot steel entering the position then worked my way out on the easier targets - I ended up with a hard cover mike on the middle paper (less than a bullet diameter)

Stage 2 - had 2 NPMs on a drop turner - my presentation of these didn't seem as smooth/fluid as the ones my buddy's videos have - would have liked those points but oh well.  Had yet again a hard cover mike very close to the scoring line.  Moving around OK. 

Stage 3 - was OK - maybe tighten up on points

Stage 4 - Classifier - Time was too conservative but more than anything POINTS!  To be shooting that slow I should have been nailing those alphas.  If I had all the alphas, I'd been exactly where I wanted to be... said every shooter ever. 1 mike on steel was no bueno.

Stage 5 -  So there was an aiming plan and a running plan.  With where I am the running plan almost always works better.  It did in this case as well.  Need to focus on sights a little harder on those classic targets.

Stage 6 - The little obscured poppers gave me fits - I couldn't connect on them.  Single handedly cost me probably 6 seconds of raw time.  I was smoked at this point in the day so I understand why my points were so bad but I don't have to be happy about it.  I had a mike on an easy target - not sure.  This stage cost me big. 

Reasonably pleased with my performance.  This was a tough match and the heat certainly didn't do us any favors.  Starting to move with a lot of authority and keeping up with the GM's -ish on raw time.  So that's good.  Need to dial in my shooting a bit more - mini poppers weren't good friends to me.

i've been doing a bunch of live fire this week tuning up for NC Section and my grip is getting dialed in.

I've switched to 2 a day dryfire and extending my par times to simulate longer stages.  Getting pumped!

Edited by ArrDave

So got 2 tune up practices in this week (mon / tuesday).  My grip is feeling good - really consistent.  I have one more live fire day planned - tomorrow to finish my polishing up for the match. Dry practice is going well, then I leave saturday AM to go to Salisbury NC for the Carolina Classic.  

Got to the range for a quick 275 round practice - gun zero is confirmed - managed to shoot my best group I've ever shot - 1 3/8" at 15 yards for 5 shots.  Spent a lot of time on the dots.  I'm about as ready as I can be.  Good times. 

Alright alright analysis.

For me - the theme of the day is make up shots and faster reloads.  The match went OK.  I had only 1 mike that I didn't see and make up on my sights.  I saw pretty much everything happen.   So, lets dive in. 

Stage 9 - 2 mikes on steel, probably nearly 1.5s in make up shots there. 

Stage 1 - had a hard time getting on the gas settling in.  A bit of a blooper of wasted time of not reloading when I wanted to. 

Stage 2 - issues with make ups.  All the makeup shots were warranted.  Slow reload entering the 3rd position Trying to exit the 4th position I had fits on hard cover mikes. 

Stage 3 -  leisurely draw and could have done a little better on points - but a decent run for me.

Stage 4 -  This stage went pretty well - on a nuanced level probably not going so deep into the second to last position could have let me reload on the way to the 2 targets I rolled by and saved a near standing reload at he end of the stage. 

Stage 5 - This went pretty well, I was conservative and my mike came from my first shot in my WHO string attempting to prep the trigger, sights weren't totally lined up and cranked one of ther the left shoulder of the target as a result. 

Stage 6 - I should have included the large popper visile from the left port into the first position - it would have given me flexibility in the last steel array and saved a standing reload for me.  I threw a mike on one of the tuxedo targets in the middle port - it was pretty close to wherei it looked good on my sights. 2 makeups on steel. 

Stage 7 - Drew to a hit on a no shoot - whoops - so I saw that happen and made it up.  Last position on the bridge I yanked a shot actually off the big popper but catching the mini< I had no respect for the target and had 2 make ups on the big popper. 

Stage 8 - Drew to a mike on the popper - don't mike.  Good points, decent time for a makeup.

All in all - I need to execute better.  it's good I'm seeing the mess ups, but it'd be better if I didn't mess up.   I'm going to re-visit the palmswell grips to see if they help me get a better grip. 

• 1 month later...

10/14/17 - Cherokee Gun Club match

83.86% (or something) - 4/17 in PRD.

First match with a Shadow 2 using a trash holster (good one on order) - haven't swapped springs yet.  Getting the excuses on the table - I have a gun I've only shot with for 3 practice sessions and 2 weeks in dry fire.  On top of that I hurt the palm of my strong hand at the base of my thumb.  I've had to stay advil'd up pretty strong until today to tolerate any sort of practice / shooting.  My holster is straight trash - Ghost Thunder - it's not made for an S2... it's just not.  Sight channel sucks - scrapings still come off the sight channel even after 2 weeks of dry fire - and the S2's weight causes a pretty stout amount of flex on the hanger - was an issue with the SP01 - but not to this level.  All that said I was about 84% of a GM which has been typical for me recently - so even with a "new" gun and being hurt - things went well.  Excited to settle in with the new gun and see what's possible. 

The match went reasonably well with the following observations

-  I need to come out harder for my first stage - I leave some speed on the table on my first stage - this has been an issue in two matches now. 

-  Classifiers I need to practice a little more - I've been shooting at speed of vision for match mode for so long - I'm not pushing the speed you need to score well on classifiers - and for all the good it did me - botched DA on pucker factor for a mike and and threw a HC mike on Down the Middle.  Pace was somewhat lethargic so even if those runs were clean they would have only been enough for like 80-83%'s.

-  I need to practice loads running full tilt - leaving some meat on the bone there. This is tough since I usually DF in my garage and I don't have enough space to really open up the speed. My 1-3 step loads are looking OK. 

-  Makeups on steel cost me.  stage 7 - the star forced a standing reload for 1 shot to immediately perform a mandatory reload and engage the second array.  They both went well and my time didn't hurt that bad. 

- Stage 6 I had a make up on one plate - I whiffed on the activator popper in the first position - but the timing ended up working out better the way I ended up shooting it - the swinger ended up taking an Alpha/Delta - which is OK. 

- I had a NS on stage 1 for getting on the trigger too quick - saw it in my sights and made it up pretty quickly in second to last position - but that cost time as did the make up at the popper in the second position.  Accuracy was good on this stage - I probably could have shaved a second from my time if not for those 2 makeups - which was HUGE on that stage. 

- Glad I practice SHO/WHO every practice session - paid dividends on the standards when everyone whiffed something awful and stacked up penalties. 

Thoughts on SHadow 2 - damnit - should have gotten one sooner.  This thing is amazing.  now I need another one... so if anyone wants to buy a Shadow 1 let me know.  The shadow 2 recoils appreciably less - the sights settle down faster. 

• 2 weeks later...

Update - I now have 2 shadow 2s.  Got that box firmly checked.  I need to set them up with springs - but I'll do that after GA state section next weekend.  I'm used to the 9# / 3.25# trigger at this point. New one has an even better trigger than the "old" one from a smoothness standpoint - but the pull weight is slightly higher - though really really close. 

In practice I'm invested in improving my classifier skills now.  I'm buckling down with Skills and Drills and going to focus on turning up the classifier skills through the end of the year.  I'm not overly worried about GA state - I'm going to double up on practice in the week leading up to it to get full confidence in my new "match" gun and get used to some recoil - but I know what the deal is.  At NC I had a few penalties - I've been more intent on seeing since NC so I'm hopeful this will translate into better hits/ fewer makeups / fewer penalties.  At the last monthly I shot the same points as the PRD winner.  Lost time was due to makeups and a couple flubbed reloads.  I've been working reloads and working vision so I'm confident it's going to go reasonably well.  If I do 83% or better in PRD then I'll bump to M.  My personal goal is going to be 85% - or more appropriately only 1 penalty (7-9 stages has been 3-4 average).  At NC if I wiped out my penalties/huge time wasting errors I could have been 91%.  Obviously it depends who shows up and how they shoot - but I think I'm good for at least 80% - Sevigny ain't coming - but if Sal Luna does - it'll probably be 80%. 

Goal is to finish up at M for the year - but really I'm reaching for GM.  That'll be a stretch but I am happy to try.  I need about a tenth off my draw, not sure on splits/transitions for the moment. I'm counting on a pretty good bonus here pretty soon which will net me a gun club membership.  At that point training can hit high gear... I can't wait.  Going to bite on at least 3 more matches with classifiers for the year.

Edited by ArrDave

Goal is to finish up at M for the year - but really I'm reaching for GM.  That'll be a stretch but I am happy to try.  I need about a tenth off my draw, not sure on splits/transitions for the moment.

You can do it.

The most recent PPS podcast is relevant to your situation (the second question covered). Specifically adopting target focus on everything 15 yards and in.

You personally, from watching your shooting, need to see and process faster. You must, at this point, push harder in dry fire for speed and let your vision catch up to a new pace.

Makeup shots are your Achilles heel. Often you are making up alphas. Be confident in your shots and move on.

You possess all the tools, you just need to do everything a touch faster and more confidently.

Thanks for the kind words Tyler.  I've already begun the process looking beyond GA state.

I've been drilling my draw/grip in an attempt to get my draw time down.  I started gripping the gun differently - not necessarily harder just putting pressure in different areas in an attempt to stabilize the gun with bad trigger pulls (strong hand only) - then building it out.  Then I'm working backwards on the draw with the micro drills with the gun to target, then hand to gun drills.  In my first live fire session I can tell it's working- quicker first shot times and more consistent sight tracking on the dots.  At least once per sheet I put 2 rounds through the same hole. I'm going to keep working on this - I think this is the easiest way to a little bit of speed and a lot of confidence. 

I had weird turblence in my sights at full extension - focusing on locking my wrist out in the holster and smoothly joining my support hand onto the gun as I present and smoothly settling into the sights.  It's caused a different area in my forearm to get sore - but it seems to be validating itself in live fire. 

2017 GA State Section 11/4/17

Well - the match went OK as far as performance is concerned.  Other than shooting in the dark on the last stage - that was lame.  Into it - I was 17/77 in PRD @ 74.28 %

Stage - 4 - first shooter of first stage - I need to work on running steel with confidence - I only shoot in doors and this hoses me on these stages. Off to a slow start but kept the wheels on.

Stage 5 - initially duffed 2 head shots which lead to a standing reload - thank you reshoot fairy! un mounted my gun randomly - ned to work on programming a bit more - not happy with my transitions generally.

Stage 6 - not sure of the good plan on this one but I set up too hard in those windows.  Over ran a position, that's a theme for me.  From my hat cam I appear to pull my head off the target before done engaging.

sTAGE 7 - Running steel with confidence is an issue - and don't miss paper.  This is fundamental marksmanship stuff - need to work some more on longer distance engagements.  Distance change up.

Stage 8 - I dropped a shot into hard cover (just barely) in the first position.  I should have drawn to the side i was on as it was more natural to then open up toward down range and take the other position and leave to go down range rather than crossing up like I did.  2nd to last position left some meat on the bone with throttle control.  last transition was a bit lackadaisical.

Stage 9 - I liked the plan 2 other guys on my squad ran - engage right, reload, engage 4, reload, engage 3 in back left corner, 2 in the middle reload back to the final position then engage 5 static.  The match winner ran my plan so clearly it's an execution thing.  Again with the transitions - need to ID an acceptable sight picture faster. 

Stage 1 - slow on the steel array and then didn't get on the gas with the two easy paper arrays.  first reload was slow because I threw the first magazine on the ground and had to grab a second one. 

Stage 2 - I should have started leaving on the second 2 targets and slowly advancing rather than posting up hard.   the two hard cover targets I should have ate charlies on and kept my feet moving rather than rolling to a pause.  Last position my transitions and splits were a little on the weak side.

Stage 3 - Bad plan.  should have made this 3 positions, should ahve paused at the second barrel stack and taken 2 steel poppers and 4 paper, then from the last position taken what was there in the window and added on the last paper which was visible from the window.  That was the best way to shoot the stage - I didn't see it - nobody in my squad did.  Match winner did.  I kinda was checked out mentally on this stage to be honest - it had been a long day.  Shot calling in the dark is difficult - I bit on 3 deltas on this stage... shouldn't have been an issue. 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...