Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open gun flaws

Balwolley

On 4/20/2017 at 8:07 AM, lcs said:

It's not just open.  A lot of limited shooters do it also.  You cram 29 rounds in a open mag, 21 in a limited mag, and how often do you practice loading an empty start--rarely.  It takes extra force to seat those mags.  I learned to download one round to enable mag to seat without using gorilla force.  A moving reload is faster than dropping mag in sand and retrieving.....

These were my thoughts exactly, part of shooting a high capacity division is learning how many rounds each one of your mags hold, how they behave at capacity, and plan your stage according.

I love the 155mm mags.  I use one 170mm and two 155mm's in my belt.  (the 2nd 155 is the Oh shit mag)  The best part is, for me anyways. I can't tell the difference between 155's and 170's when loading on a stage run. 

• 2 months later...
On 5/19/2016 at 1:13 PM, Hi-Power Jack said:

The Worst Error shooting OPEN, is to assume (ass u me) that since

you have a comp, and an optical sight, and very high velocity ammo,

and everyone else shooting OPEN is going really FFFAAASSSSTTTTTTT,

that you don't actually have to see the dot on the A zone each and every

time, as long as you shoot Really Fast. :surprise:

Don't ask how I know ... :blush:

Just started shooting open last month a oh how right you are. lol 

It's funny I thought the same way about open guns for a long time. I always saw guys having problems with them. I finally decided to buy an open gun and give it a shot, to my surprise with very little fuss I had an open gun that would run 100%. I have shot open for about a year now and have been happy doing it, I cant stand a gun that is not reliable.

I will say these are high performance set ups and can require more tinkering to get right, but once you get it they are a blast to shoot.

P.S. I will say I have been guilty of forgetting to unlock my holster on more than one occasion, not that it has anything to do with what gun I am shooting.

Edited by SWprotected

• 3 months later...