Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open gun flaws

Balwolley

So, open guns with all their fancy stuff and how "easy" they are to make hits with and shoot..

Funny thing about them, if you don't turn the optic on before the buzzer goes off, makes your stage go in the toilet at a blistering rate of speed lol! Anyone else ever done this?

Also one that I see A LOT, mags not seated all the way . Seat a mag , bang, mag falls out..... They pick up magazine, THEN try to shoot WITHOUT racking a round in......?? I can't count how many times I've seen this... Let's hear what you've done or seen along these lines

yep, need a thorough and consistent make ready process, for every division. sights & optics, mag press pull, etc. i blew the 2nd string at a state match because i didn't confirm i had one leftover in the chamber from the 1st string. stupid and preventable. being fast and accurate is hard enough without just giving away stage points before the stage even starts.

as a for instance, some if not most of the GM's i shoot with barney a round each and every stage, even if there is no way in hell they'll need that extra round. just a process they have ingrained.

yep, need a thorough and consistent make ready process, for every division. sights & optics, mag press pull, etc. i blew the 2nd string at a state match because i didn't confirm i had one leftover in the chamber from the 1st string. stupid and preventable. being fast and accurate is hard enough without just giving away stage points before the stage even starts.

as a for instance, some if not most of the GM's i shoot with barney a round each and every stage, even if there is no way in hell they'll need that extra round. just a process they have ingrained.

They Barney a round each and every stage? How do they get the "Are you ready?" command, followed by the "Standby" command on unloaded starts?

They Barney a round each and every stage? How do they get the "Are you ready?" command, followed by the "Standby" command on unloaded starts?

wow pat yourself on the back you really got me there.

wow pat yourself on the back you really got me there.
LOL. I knew what you meant...I had to do it before someone else beat me to it...

I think we all know what he meant

The Worst Error shooting OPEN, is to assume (ass u me) that since

you have a comp, and an optical sight, and very high velocity ammo,

and everyone else shooting OPEN is going really FFFAAASSSSTTTTTTT,

that you don't actually have to see the dot on the A zone each and every

time, as long as you shoot Really Fast. :surprise:

Don't ask how I know ... :blush:

Well what I meant by open gun flaw on optics (before carry optic division). Was that you literally can't forget to turn it on!! Lol I was saying it jokingly... The only time I did that was a weird start where the gun was in a closed ammo box. Had to retrieve the gun from the box... Maybe I turned it OFF out of habit from putting the gun in the case at the end of the day?

Yes these are most definitely shooter error , not the gun..

Btw I haven't not seated a mag good enough before, but I have seen several other shooters do it .. Funny thing about the dot being on the target, if it's not on the target when the gun goes off...... Hmmm lol

So true.... So true :)

• 2 weeks later...

At the local monthly match there are a few guys who shoot open guns. Rarely do they make it through a stage much less a match without some sort of malfunction. I'm not super familiar with open guns so I don't know exactly what is going on, but it looks like it takes all of the fun out of it. There are 1 or 2 that have it ironed out and make it look easy though.

At the local monthly match there are a few guys who shoot open guns. Rarely do they make it through a stage much less a match without some sort of malfunction. I'm not super familiar with open guns so I don't know exactly what is going on, but it looks like it takes all of the fun out of it. There are 1 or 2 that have it ironed out and make it look easy though.

When ANY gun doesn't run right it takes all the fun out of it. Worst gun I ever shot was an early M&P PRO my fist year of USPSA. I almost quit it was so bad.

A custom build whether open or Limited can be pretty sensitive to ammo, mags, dirt etc. I have two open guns by the same builder. The older one is easily as reliable as any gun if I do my part

But the newer one I'm actually losing patience with. I had to swap it out this weekend when it jammed twice on the first stage. There is a flaw somewhere causing feeding issues. Only problem with these guns is it costs hundreds of dollars every time I get it worked on.

Usually if they run don't fu< with them and they are fine

I have been guilty of this

So true.... So true :)

Shot a 10 stage match this weekend,my open guns ran 100%, I WISH I had kept track (squad of 14)but I'd say 70% of the tac- guys had malfunctions, many on multiples stages.

Funny thing, EVERY stage somebody asked me "So your guns going to run?" yet NOBODY says a word when a non-open gun craps out.

When ANY gun doesn't run right it takes all the fun out of it. Worst gun I ever shot was an early M&P PRO my fist year of USPSA. I almost quit it was so bad.

A custom build whether open or Limited can be pretty sensitive to ammo, mags, dirt etc. I have two open guns by the same builder. The older one is easily as reliable as any gun if I do my part

But the newer one I'm actually losing patience with. I had to swap it out this weekend when it jammed twice on the first stage. There is a flaw somewhere causing feeding issues. Only problem with these guns is it costs hundreds of dollars every time I get it worked on.

Usually if they run don't fu< with them and they are fine

Bummer. Is the cost mainly the shipping, or do you have to pay to have your new gun adjusted/tuned right?

• 10 months later...

I have had my mags fall out but it was on the initial draw and my fat left hand hits the mag release. I have done it a couple of times however, have been practicing a lot of dryfore to keep that to a minimum. 

On 5/19/2016 at 7:37 AM, Balwolley said:

So, open guns with all their fancy stuff and how "easy" they are to make hits with and shoot..

Funny thing about them, if you don't turn the optic on before the buzzer goes off, makes your stage go in the toilet at a blistering rate of speed lol! Anyone else ever done this?

Also one that I see A LOT, mags not seated all the way . Seat a mag , bang, mag falls out..... They pick up magazine, THEN try to shoot WITHOUT racking a round in......?? I can't count how many times I've seen this... Let's hear what you've done or seen along these lines

It's not just open.  A lot of limited shooters do it also.  You cram 29 rounds in a open mag, 21 in a limited mag, and how often do you practice loading an empty start--rarely.  It takes extra force to seat those mags.  I learned to download one round to enable mag to seat without using gorilla force.  A moving reload is faster than dropping mag in sand and retrieving.....

• 4 weeks later...

You see forgot to turn the dot on a lot in multi gun with empty pistol start but all the long guns are loaded.  Their is so mush going on and because none of the practical shooters touch their pistol the RO never even says anything about the pistol.  I've been the RO on stages when the shooter is told to make ready and they make the long guns ready but don't do anything with the pistol.  I feel bad when they draw and the dot is not on but it only takes a second or two extra.

I forgot to turn my dot on for the 4th stage of a match last weekend (first time I'd shot my open gun in months). Funny thing is at the end of the stage there was a texas star and I somehow managed to shoot 1 plate with two left plates left on the texas star which took out the final texas star plate and then the adjacent popper. So I got a reshoot haha.

Good luck. Plate I hit was between 2 and 3 o'clock (rotating counter clockwise). Fell and clipped the plate below it on the star then tumbled into the popper next to it. I was the only person out of 50 some shooters who had a reshoot on that stage.

Edited by MHitchcock

On 5/19/2016 at 0:13 PM, Hi-Power Jack said:

First match shooting open I did this exactly. I had a GM go before me, so when it was my time I hosed the first array, and had plenty of Mikes. Luckily, I was smart enough to adjust my speed for the rest of the stage, and match.