Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Counting Shots

I always have to count my shots. On a lot of the stages I shoot i feel as though if I don't I will def miss a target. The hardest stages for me are the memory stages, and I will slow down my shooting just to make sure I can count my shots accurately. 

• 3 weeks later...

I've never once counted my shots , 1..2 ..3 ..4...etc, during the COF(aside from a stage that dictates X rounds fired into target Y,). I plan how I will shoot the targets and where I will do my reloads to avoid a standing reload.

I shoot single stack (usually minor, but sometimes major) and have developed a sixth sense about when I am on my 10th or 8th round of an array.

I've done reloads before I got to slide lock on courses of fire without even thinking about it - my mind just seems to know that I have fired too many shots and I had better reload before I go to slide lock.

Looking forward to trying Limited soon - won't have to think about that (even though I don't think I do) for a while.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think that having been in marching band in high school helped me with this. Shooting is like playing music and marching, as I know when to reload (generally) by the "drumbeats" of the shots that I take. That is the best way I can describe it, as I know what I should be doing at whatever point in the stage I am at. I had never though about it this way until I read this thread.:huh:

19 hours ago, paul788 said:

Count the rounds on target to get where to reload.  The only time this should change is if you take extra shots. Best practice is to not miss.

Paul

SO,,,,,,,,,,,,how much do you have to practice so that you do not miss?

On 5/9/2017 at 0:16 PM, davidb72 said:

I shoot single stack (usually minor, but sometimes major) and have developed a sixth sense about when I am on my 10th or 8th round of an array.

I'm Single stack as well, There is this like Panic feeling that I get and somewhere in my head is screaming "the gun doesnt weigh enough for you to finish this" Like a target and a plate rack is 8 rounds. I know that 1 miss I'm in trouble, 2 Misses gotta reload. 

Usually for SS or Prod I'll have a plan per array that is like 'shoot 8 here' reload, shoot 8 here reload. and If I miss more than twice I'm in trouble. Really depends on the stage. I dont plan extra shots anymore. When I first started in Limited I would plan for 3 shots for 2 peices of steel or something similar. Now I know that I just have to get hard on the sights and dont miss (doesnt always work). trust yourself and make it happen when it needs to happen, even it it means slowing down. It'll save you time that having standing reloads. 

• 2 weeks later...

I am restricted to 10 round mags and frequently plan 8, 9 or 10 shots before reloading.  As part of my stage planning I memorise how many spare rounds I have on an array.  Before long it becomes part of your subconscious and I don't need to think about it while running the stage, it just pops into my head if I make a back up. 

• 8 months later...

Maybe it’s different for USPSA but being an IDPA shooter only having 10 rounds I have a mental count of where I am and since I can’t reload till slide lock it’s not as big of a deal I’m guessing. 

I do plan my stage and know where the reload is going to happen so I do semi-count the extra shots so I’ll know be loading early and where. I also try to maybe plan or realize where I might have to do it early. 

On 5/17/2016 at 6:25 AM, grapemeister said:

I only have one job for the conscious mind when the timer goes off and that is to call every shot. Any other thoughts like counting rounds is a distraction.

Seems like what I’ve been trying to get back to. It works well for me as long as I have a minute or two or at least one walk through. I find the hardest part is when I am first up and haven’t had a good amount of time for walk through. That gets me a little rattled, especially on a memory stage.

• 3 months later...