Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

So, I had the hand surgery....

GrumpyOne

This is day one after surgery. Turns out the doc had to do a wee bit more cutting than he antipated to relieve all of the inflammation. ..Went to my second PT appoinment today, everything is as it should be, getting movement back in all the fingers, although it is limited, and not very strong... As you might imagine, any pressure on it stings a bit...

post-18733-0-18947100-1463087267_thumb.j

I thought this forum had rules about photos of dead animals....

I had a friend who read palms.

the first thing I thought was I wonder what stitches in your life-line means.

may you avoid any signs of infection.

miranda

Was that for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome? I have CTS and it sucks. I'm only 38 and imagine it's only going to get worse - I don't love the idea of surgery but I am starting to ponder it.

I wish you the best of luck and health in your recovery. And the marker makes it look much worse - once some of that ink goes away you will feel much better about it.

Edited by StraightSh00ter

Was that for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome? I have CTS and it sucks. I'm only 38 and imagine it's only going to get worse - I don't love the idea of surgery but I am starting to ponder it.

I wish you the best of luck in your recovery. And the marker makes it look much worse - once some of that ink goes away you will feel much better about it.

Yeah, it was CTS...I had the right hand done 20 years ago, by the same doc...there are two different types of procedures, one is endoscopic, and it heals quickly and supposedly is not as painful...or you can have what I had done, full CTR (I wasn't a candidate for the endoscopic, my nerves criss crossed under the tunnel).

Grumpy, I've had CTS in both hands for over 20 years. I almost pulled the trigger on surgery shortly after diagnosis but put it off after a machinist I know had the surgery and was in worse pain after and he was off work for 7 months because of the pain in cranking the handles on milling machines.

Did you lose more hand function right after surgery? Doctors always seem to downplay the post surgery rehab and make it seem like once the pressure on the nerve Is released the patient will experience instant relief from the numbing pain they've been experiencing.

It's obvious in your situation that the results of your first surgery where we'll worth surgery on the other hand. Wishing you a speedy and successful recovery.

Edited by Zoomy

On the right hand, I did lose some hand function for a while (it's been 20 years, so I don't remember how long it took to get it all back), but it did all come back. it did hurt like hell for 3-4 months afterwards whenever something would bump the area...But the right hand has given me no more problems since I had it done. The trick is to not overdo it when rehabbing the hand...it takes time...I will be on light duty for probably 3-4 months...after the stitches come out.

Had my second surgery in 2014. The previous one was over 20 years prior. This last one the recovery was a lot faster, although I couldn't shoot for about 3 and 1/2 months.

I think the recovery went faster this last time because the Doc said not to baby it. After the stiches were out I think what helped me most was the deep hard massage with Palmer's cocoa butter. Even before the stiches were out I would work the fingers by pressing down on hard surfaces, and working the fingers by pressing the fingers tips against each other, especially pinky to thumb and so on.

I was worried about pulling the stiches out but the doc assured me there was nothing the hand would allow me to do that would cause the stiches to pull or the incision to open. I still took it easy at 1st. I wasn't picking up 5 gallon buckets full of brass, of course.

Had my second surgery in 2014. The previous one was over 20 years prior. This last one the recovery was a lot faster, although I couldn't shoot for about 3 and 1/2 months.

I think the recovery went faster this last time because the Doc said not to baby it. After the stiches were out I think what helped me most was the deep hard massage with Palmer's cocoa butter. Even before the stiches were out I would work the fingers by pressing down on hard surfaces, and working the fingers by pressing the fingers tips against each other, especially pinky to thumb and so on.

I was worried about pulling the stiches out but the doc assured me there was nothing the hand would allow me to do that would cause the stiches to pull or the incision to open. I still took it easy at 1st. I wasn't picking up 5 gallon buckets full of brass, of course.

Dr. Sharkey?

Dr. Powell with Gainesville Orthopedic Institute. My 1st was an Army Doc back in December of 1985. Wow, over 30 years ago. Doesn't seem that long ago.

CTS runs on both sides of my family. I've had two hands operated on, my Dad two, my mother two, and brother one.