Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Federal SPP Shortage

turbopower18

I have yet to have a regular federal primer not go bang. If their the same price or cheaper go for it but otherwise I wouldn't waste the money.

Same for me...

I'm just curious why Federal makes a match grade small pistol primer...

because some people will pay extra for it.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats true if someone will pay why not take the money. They probably have someone that has been there a couple years longer and makes a couple more bucks an hour running the machine so they put them in a gold medal box and charge a few dollars more a thousand.

Thats true if someone will pay why not take the money. They probably have someone that has been there a couple years longer and makes a couple more bucks an hour running the machine so they put them in a gold medal box and charge a few dollars more a thousand.

I don't know about how they make them, but when I absolutely want to hear "bang" every single time... I use them. Other brands of less expensive primers fail to "bang" with my lightest triggers.

Yeah, I can put in extra power springs and save a couple bucks / thousand but the DA goes from 5# 7oz to OVER 12 POUNDS. That was needed to use Wolf spp! To me, the lighter trigger more expensive ammo trade-off is acceptable.

Edited by johnbu

Have you compared the retail price of Remington 209 primers compared to all others? I think Rem adds pixie dust or Palladium to their primer mix... 209's are not nearly as interchangeable as pistol primers so they must realize that they have a captured market and can charge what they like.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Old thread...  Old gripe....

Why, after four years, am I still hunting Federal small pistol primers?  For most businesses more volume = more profit.  After 4 years I think I could have figured out a way to increase volume.  Just sayin...  :)

33 minutes ago, Just4FunLP said:

Old thread...  Old gripe....

Why, after four years, am I still hunting Federal small pistol primers?  For most businesses more volume = more profit.  After 4 years I think I could have figured out a way to increase volume.  Just sayin...  :)

you would think. instead they have cut almost half their work force in the last 10 months. its what happens when college educated bean counters who dont know squat run things.

• 2 months later...

My match pistol (IDPA, 3 Gun) is setup with light springs and runs federal. Tried 10 rounds using S&B "Pistol" primers today - 100% ignition - I may just start using the S&B for practice and save my Fed. for the matches. Also tried 10 rounds using S&B "Rifle" primers - only one in 10 fired.

I just got into reloading in the last couple of years and still have NEVER seen Federal SPP's in the wild.  Winchester and CCI?  All day!  But those massive blue Federal primer boxes at Cabela's or Sportman's always say Magnum or Rifle.

• 2 weeks later...

I placed an order with Cabela's on Nov 11 and just got an email pushing back the shipping date, again, to Feb 27. I cancelled the order. Federal SPM primers are available so maybe I will get some and see it they will work. I'm done trying to get their standard primers.  

Edited by 5pins

55 minutes ago, RaylanGivens said:

Ran across some a few years ago...  They worked fine...  Not sure what exactly is different, but I chrono'd them and didn't notice any difference.

They are "softer" and guns with very light trigger pulls may need them. My Glock race gun sure does.

With the prices they charge for their Syntech line they will have to probably get stuck with allot of ammo before they care about what the reloading consumer wants.  The've been contributing to the hoarding of supplies in past years simply by not trying to even keep up with even a percentage of demand..   I'm down to 1K then no more revolver use for me.....

5 hours ago, RaylanGivens said:

Ran across some a few years ago...  They worked fine...  Not sure what exactly is different, but I chrono'd them and didn't notice any difference.

4 hours ago, 5pins said:

They are "softer" and guns with very light trigger pulls may need them. My Glock race gun sure does.

Yes, they are...

I meant I didn't notice much difference between the Federal small pistol primers and the Federal Match small pistol primers...

We were told by a Federal rep at SHOT that they are aware of the shortage and are ramping up production of SPP.  We'll see I guess.

I can’t get my hopes up too much since they have been in short supply for about 2 years now. Surely it’s not like they have just recently noticed it.

On 1/29/2018 at 8:29 AM, 5pins said:

I placed an order with Cabela's on Nov 11 and just got an email pushing back the shipping date, again, to Feb 27. I cancelled the order. Federal SPM primers are available so maybe I will get some and see it they will work. I'm done trying to get their standard primers.  

Dunno what happened to your order but Cabelas just showed inventory of #100 as of 1240 PST...:o