Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do you count your shots?

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
On 3/23/2018 at 5:23 AM, athman8 said:

You replace the old mag, even when there are still some rounds left in it. Place the half empty mags in a pouch where they are not getting mixed up with your full magazines. As soon as there is time, you reload them.Always having a maximum amount of full magazines doesn’t only make counting much easier, but it’s also an absolute must in every combat situation. You don’t want to start a firefight with an almost empty mag that needs to be switched after you shot the first burst.Counting is not always possible, but still, you have to be aware of your ammunition ‘situation’ all the time. ShowBox Kodi Lucky Patcher

In my Government sponsored training the technique of only having full mags in pouches and saving any partial mags in one's pocket during a break in the action is true. But I believe this forum is really about competitive and sport shooting with different requirements of size and location of the reloading devices (mags and such). I've shot a USPSA stage where all the reloading devices had to be put on the tops of barrels located in the shooting area/zone.

Thank you though for the input.

On 3/30/2018 at 10:36 AM, IHAVEGAS said:

Amazing how that works, seems like you just feel it after a while. 

I know! I still think it's really weird. It's like I won't even be paying attention and I'll know I'm out.

• 3 weeks later...

When shooting the local .22 steel match where there are typically two big stages (24-27 rds) I designate where my first reload should be to maintain one in the chamber. If I have a miss or 2 I still know where the first mag change should be. After that first mag change I try to be aware of where I'm at round wise but, typically, I'm not totally sure.

In IPSC matches I've got a big stick that holds 29 and two mags that hold 26 so I don't count shots but certainly plan the most efficient spot for a reload.

If it's a stage that I want to run without a mag change I will count my misses/make up shots.  Say it's a 25 round stage and I start with 29.  I know I have 4 make up shots available.  If I burn through those I know I will need a reload.

On 2/10/2018 at 12:39 AM, Eureka1911 said:

I do when there is steel in the stage. I shoot single stack. Keeping track of rounds is important.

Or you know that if you need to take a make up shot, the guns going to slide lock. Therefore we have to reload anyway. 

Single Stack is a blessing and a curse. 

7 hours ago, Dutchman195 said:

Or you know that if you need to take a make up shot, the guns going to slide lock. Therefore we have to reload anyway. 

Single Stack is a blessing and a curse. 

Yes it is:sight:

• 2 months later...

I count shots in my walk through and make sure I note where I need to reload between arrays or during transitions. I'm not that good though so sometimes I still end up with a standing reload.

Its really hard to count, run, shoot, watch out for 180s,etc. it’s better to just plan you mag changes at certain points. I usually like to change out with 2 or 3 left in the mag. That way I have enough for a make up shot or two if need be.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I do not count except during walkthrough. I just plan reload positions and go from there. I never plan to run dry unless it is a really good option. I always leave a round or two just in case, especially with steel 

• 1 month later...
On 4/30/2016 at 12:22 PM, rowdyb said:

Production here. I plan where my reloads are and know if I'm 1-1 on thing how many should be left in the gun at each point. Almost always it's 8-10 shots. Sometimes 6. So I do not consciously count them but try to have an awareness of how many I have to "play with" at each array.

And I can only arrive at a new array with 0 rounds, empty gun. 1 round, no mag but one chambered. 10 rounds, sllide lock reload or hopefully 11 with a successful speed reload. That's what I really care most about, am I arriving at the new place with the right amount.

Should things go off plan I don't hesitate to do an unplanned mag change to get me back on plan for the very next array.

Same here. (Except I shoot SS).  I've always found it easier to plan where my reloads are going to be and remember that during the walk through, rather than counting my way through it. I also make it a point to make a mental note if I know I have to clean something for the stage plan to work, and reload to get my barney back if necessary.

I don’t count my shots.  I have reloads planned on each stage.  I add another reload in if I have little to no buffer on round count after make ups and still hit my planned reloads throughout the stage.

• 2 weeks later...