Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recoil spring for 5" 1911 in 40

rustychev

Step one is determining exactly what spring # you're running now.

Step two is buy a recoil spring calibration kit and step down slowly from your stock spring, (19 sounds super heavy).

Step three is back to step one with your mainspring..

Mediocre advise at best.

I run a 12# recoil with a 19# main for 170PF with an Alumabuff. I agree with Mach1, you should try a 11# or 10#.

What mainspring are you running now? It is likely too heavy also.

Not sure what the main spring is but it is the one that came with the gun. I have not changed any springs as I shot major for the most part but want to start shooting SS minor with this gun. It may run with my minor load but I don't think so. Had to drop the recoil spring 3 pounds on my glock 22 to run my 40 cal minor load

• 3 weeks later...

Ok finely got the range today to do some testing.

First I did call sig and they say the stock spring is #19 but it is a flat wire and is 4 coils shorter than a round wire #16. Also to me when I put in a #16 it feels heavier than the stock spring.

I put in a #16 and it runs my major load great with lock back even limp wristed but will not lock back my minor load at all.

Worked my way down to #12 and it works for my minor load with every thing but a grip just hard enough to make sure I did not drop the gun.

Minor load is 135 PF.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am using a 10lb wolff conventional in my Edge with major PF in limited. I have an 11lb that I plan to test some more. I like to do several exercises to feel and see the difference in them.

Set up an open target at 20/30yds. Pick a spot in the A zone and shoot watching the sights recover each time and making note of how high they go and if they dip when the slide goes forward. You can put several strips of white tape on the target to help you gauge the movement in the gun and put a small circle for your "bullseye" if need be.

Do some 6rd bill drills at 25-35yds. Use a clean target. Record your times and hits.

Do 6rd bill drills at 7-10yds. Again use a clean target.

Lastly you can put a 5" dot on a target. Stand 7yds away. Start with your gun aimed at the dot. Fire 2 shots at the same speed you normally would on a target that close. Your first hit should be in the dot every time. If your second hit is above the dot your spring may be too light. If it is low you are using too heavy of a spring.

Hope that helps.

I run a 12# wolf spring in my 40 with a 180gr @170 PF based on bill drills.

For my 9mm, based on Bill drills, I run a 8# 147gr @ 130 PF.

If I was running a 40cal @ 130 PF , I would test Bill drills with the 12# spring to start going all the way down to 10,9,8 pound springs , to see which poundage tracks the best.

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...