Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do you warm up before a match? You should!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've found I do my best when I shoot 150-200 rounds a few days before the match, it's nice to be 100% sure of where the sights are and that everything is working as expected.  I'll practice my gun handling a little bit the day before to make sure it feels natural and smooth, usually draws and reloads with a few table starts, maybe 15-20 minutes tops.  I'm there for Saturday morning set-up most matches and it helps to get the blood moving and stretch out a bit.  I don't mind running back and forth to the barn for that reason.  If you are stiff stretching out is always a good idea in the morning.  Once everything is set-up I'll get my gear together and head to the safe table.  After a few draws I'm ready to go and I find it helps to confirm sight picture for the first shot.

• 2 months later...
On Monday, May 02, 2016 at 3:47 PM, Jake Di Vita said:

It must be, because from my memory I've seen exactly one in the midwest since 2002ish. Trust me, I'd love to be able to warm up with live fire before a match.

Those damn Area 6 guys.  They shoot 12 months a year, AND have a warmup bay.

• 4 weeks later...

I find that it is necessary to warm up. If I do not, I ALWAYS have a bad first stage. I really notice this in practice where I don't warm up at all. I also don't like warming up in the safety area, as other people need to get ready for the match, and this can cause delays. I try to dry fire for 30-45 minutes in the hotel room or at home (local match) before I am there. I usually use two brothers dry fire on youtube for practice in my hotel room or at home before a match. I find that this really helps!

Edited by abb1

• 2 months later...

I work at an indoor range, so I'll make a stop over before they open on the morning of the match and warm up on draws and transitions down range. Once I get to the match, its draws, trigger press, and empty reloads at the safe table. 

• 1 year later...

Never have - But I think I’m going to start now. I usually blow up the first stage or two and then settle in.. Really wish I could put a couple magazines through before every match. I almost always shoot better if I get a little bit of trigger time pre match.

Im finding some dry fire / moving dry fire drills the morning of a match is making a difference. Also, going to a safe area for dry fire immediately before shooting helps.

If dry fire at home is what takes the greats to the next level, why couldnt it be good warm up before live fire?

• 4 weeks later...

Just shot hard as hell after shooting the nationals. Warmed up with my guns with dry fire practice and my muscles. Made a huge difference. Felt ready to go every day, not just after the third or fourth stage. Moving stretches with a light jog to get the blood flowing, worked perfect 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I try to physically warm up my body like I would before a run or any exercise. I also like to dry fire at home that morning to get in a few extra reps. Not sure if that actually helps, but it is a slight confidence boost. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have normally done some basic dry fire drills in safe area but last fall at Area 4 I did about 20 mins of movement/dry fire drills (WITHOUT TIMER) in the hotel room right before I went to the match.  I ended up shooting the best I have ever shot.  I am definitely doing this from now on!  Thanks for all the suggestions in this thread.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I’m going to start doing some light calisthenics before matches from now on. I didn’t do that on an intense practice session and I paid for it with my hip flexors for about three-four months. 

Didnt help i was about 20 lbs heavier but that’s a different story. 

Never have other than a few quick dry fires at the table.  It was pretty obvious when I would show up "late" and not even get that in.  I usually bomb the first stage then do progressively better.  Ive seen some guys run a few laps before matches too.  A good thing to start doing!

• 2 months later...

I know for the past couple matches I’ve spent 200 rounds or so the night before ONLY in match mode. I’ve set up a small stage and started in different positions every time BUT I’ve always shot in match mode. 

I think this works cause it kinda calms my jitters before the match. 

Take it for what it’s worth!