Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PRIME ammo slugs

I recently came across a relatively new company, PRIME ammo. They are a Henderson NV based company. They began as a "club" where you could sign up under different levels to receive guaranteed ammo when it was in short supply.

Now they have gone public for lack of better terms. You can buy ammo direct from them off their website. Shipping is via FedEx and normally ships same day.

They have a pretty extensive selection. Their 6.5 creedmor is what is really putting them on the map right now. From what I know, the ammo is manufactured by RUAG using Norma brass. So quality is top notch.

I was particularly interested in their Match line of ammo. Specifically the Match grade 12ga slugs. They are 400gr slugs with a muzzle velocity of 1476. The slug itself is coated to reduce leading and claims to add to accuracy potential.

I tested them with my Stoeger M3K. The gun internally is stock. The port is opened, but the operating system hasn't been touched and I have only a front bead sight. The slugs have cycled in my gun without issue. Felt recoil is significantly less than my go to Federal low recoil. Accuracy was very good. Offhand at 30 yds produced a tight 3 hole cloverleaf group. 50yds offhand yielded around 5" groups. Field testing at a match saw first round hits on B-C silhouettes. I had one makeup and it was shooter error rushing a shot. Overall these slugs have been amazing. Like anything test them for yourself first. I would expect most people will be happy with them.

The only downside I can see is the cost. They are $36 for 25 or $360 a case. I can say with the accuracy and increase in first round slug hits it could actually reduce your cost by reducing amount of slugs used.

And no I'm not sponsored, paid or reimbursed by them. Just a happy customer that wanted to share with other shooters what I think could help them.

90c1ee61e11b2d87b3efebb595fc9bdf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Hoosiershooter

Ive been shooting PrimeAmmo for just over a month now and I am very impressed. Most all of their ammunition is made with competition shooters in mind, The 124Gr. 9mm is just over minor PF and the 180Gr. 40 is just over major PF. TOP NOTCH STUFF!! give it a try you won't be disappointed. Use this discount code to get 10% off - PRIMEGUNTIME

• 1 year later...

Just won a case of these at a shotgun match and not a moment too soon! My slug stash had dwindled and I was not looking forward to buying more. I’m pretty pumped about trying these to see how they perform in my 19” Vepr 3 MOA 12 and razor red dot.

anyone else have more experience with these and how they do with various chokes?

• 1 month later...

I tried them and was not impressed with any aspect of them except recoil. Accuracy was very ho-hum, and terminally, they fragment badly when they encounter things. Total "gamer slug". If your gun likes it, rock on, but I'd restrict it to gun games. I wanted a hunting round.

3 hours ago, WS6 said:

I tried them and was not impressed with any aspect of them except recoil. Accuracy was very ho-hum, and terminally, they fragment badly when they encounter things. Total "gamer slug". If your gun likes it, rock on, but I'd restrict it to gun games. I wanted a hunting round.

Why would you buy a product called a "12 GAUGE COMPETITION SLUG" and expect it to be a good hunting round?  Of course it's a gamer slug...

23 hours ago, 1981Shooter said:

Why would you buy a product called a "12 GAUGE COMPETITION SLUG" and expect it to be a good hunting round?  Of course it's a gamer slug...

Because I called Prime and asked them and they alleged that it was good for hunting, as well, when I specifically asked them about it.